Thunderbolt as WiFi hotspot?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So the TB could be used to make a WiFi hotspot anywhere? How much will this cost?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad with WiFi and using the TB to get online.

What's the difference between iPad 1&2?

Can you use the TB as it's being used as a hotspot?

Thanks for any insight!

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So the TB could be used to make a WiFi hotspot anywhere? How much will this cost?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad with WiFi and using the TB to get online.

What's the difference between iPad 1&2?

Can you use the TB as it's being used as a hotspot?

Thanks for any insight!

1. Yes you'll be able to use it as a wifi hotspot. Probably $20/month or free if you root

2. iPad 2 has front and rear cameras, faster dual core processor, and more ram. I am using one now to type this and it is excellent. I much prefer it to the doom, but that is just my opinion. With the ffc you can use FaceTime and Skype for video chat, this would work wonderfully with th tb as a wifi hotspot.

3. You can use the tb as it is being used as a hotspot.

If the tb comes out before the end of march, I will probably return my iPhone and get the tb, mainly for google maps and 4g.

If you decide to get the iPad, buy the 2, not the original. My wife has the original and the new one is so much nicer.

Reactions: Chrisy

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you an use TB as a WiFi hotspot. To do it legit, there will be a fee. Currently, on my Dinc, it would be 20 bucks a month for 2 gigs. There is a way on the Dinc to modify it so you get tendering for free. Don't know if it will work on TB.

On the Dinc when hotspot is on you can't use data services on the device itself. Would assume TB will be similar.

This assumes you don't root. If you root you have many more options.

IPad 2 has a much better processor,thinner, and I believe a small bump in RAM.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

tepalma

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
An extra charge to use as a hotspot is reasonable for unlimited data plans, but if we are paying for the data we consume, eventually they should want to encourage it. I don't expect that to happen for a while, but if I'm paying for the data I use, then I sure wouldn't feel guilty rooting to enable a hotspot capability.

Yes, you an use TB as a WiFi hotspot. To do it legit, there will be a fee. Currently, on my Dinc, it would be 20 bucks a month for 2 gigs. There is a way on the Dinc to modify it so you get tendering for free. Don't know if it will work on TB.

On the Dinc when hotspot is on you can't use data services on the device itself. Would assume TB will be similar.

This assumes you don't root. If you root you have many more options.

IPad 2 has a much better processor,thinner, and I believe a small bump in RAM.

Reactions: Nitros7

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks guys. I've been using my fams iPad this week and I really like it.

Isn't it like $200 dollars cheaper than the iPad 2? That's attractive.

Thanks for all the info!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Mobile hotspot is $20 a month for 2gb. If you root your phone its free. You can still use your phone when mobile hotspot is turned on.
iPad 1 vs 2:
*iPad 2 is slimmer by 33% measuring 8.8 mm in thickness compared to 13.4 of iPad1
*iPad 2 supports gyroscope which was not there in iPad1.
*iPad 2 has a front and rear camera which was not present in iPad1. With the addition of two cameras, Apple has also introduced Face Time for Video Conferencing in iPad 2
*Apple claims that iPad2’s CPU is twice as fast as iPad1 and graphics 9 times faster compared to iPad1.
*iPad 2 has a HDMI video port which was not available in iPad1.
*iPad has lost its weight by 0.2 pound. i Pad 2 is 1.3 pounds compared to 1.5 pounds of iPad1
*iPad 2 has increased capacity of 512 MB RAM.
*iPad 2 does not have any MicroSD slot.

Last edited:

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought way back when.... when we first heard about the tbolt, I thought I remember it being advertised as FREE mobile hotspot. To start anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought way back when.... when we first heard about the tbolt, I thought I remember it being advertised as FREE mobile hotspot. To start anyway.

Right now its rumored. They're using the word "might" include free mobile hotspot.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Do they both require a data plan from VZW?

Chrisy,

I have the iPad1 w/3G just in case. Never activated the 3G option, always used my Dinc as it's Wi-Fi connection. Was great. I purchased 3G version becuase just in case I could get 3G connection somewhere on phone, or battery ran out etc.

I ordered the iPad2 online on Friday. Awaitign the slow boat from China to deliever..

Okay, so iPad1 would require Hotspot on Thunderbolt(unsure if the same hack that works on the Dinc will work on Thunderbolt)

iPad2 would be the same, unless you bought the VZW model, but that would require a monthly fee.

Yes the iPad is 100 cheaper now, not 200. They are still going for a good price in eBay etc.

Hope that helps some.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mobile hotspot is $20 a month for 2gb. If you root your phone its free. You can still use your phone when mobile hotspot is turned on.
iPad 1 vs 2:
*iPad 2 is slimmer by 33% measuring 8.8 mm in thickness compared to 13.4 of iPad1
*iPad 2 supports gyroscope which was not there in iPad1.
*iPad 2 has a front and rear camera which was not present in iPad1. With the addition of two cameras, Apple has also introduced Face Time for Video Conferencing in iPad 2
*Apple claims that iPad2?s CPU is twice as fast as iPad1 and graphics 9 times faster compared to iPad1.
*iPad 2 has a HDMI video port which was not available in iPad1.
*iPad has lost its weight by 0.2 pound. i Pad 2 is 1.3 pounds compared to 1.5 pounds of iPad1
*iPad 2 has increased capacity of 512 MB RAM.
*iPad 2 does not have any MicroSD slot.

You need an adapter to utilize HDMI, the port is not built in.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Knowing Verizon, I can't see them giving away free hotspot. Since I'm gonna be on the rooted side, I'll just use WiFi tether if I need to. Besides I'm tied to a 2-yr mobile broadband data plan on my netbook.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
if it ends up being a tiered data plan they might give out free hot spot....it would almost force users over the caps..its evil and totally what vzw would do.

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I believe Bob from Wirefly said something about it... He later corrects himself on a later vid and says he doesn't know. My guess is its a fee on top of your data plain, regardless of teared pricing or not... Makes no sense to me I would figure I pay for the data I should be able to use the data, but VZW likes there dollar bills I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon