exchange + android

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm an android newb. Will want to setup my TB for my work email which is an exchange account. What do most people use for exchange email? There is built-in functionality, right? Or most people prefer an app? I've heard of TouchDown... is that the best?

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Touchdown Exchange is IMO the best of the best - They give 30 day's for free- try it.

can you briefly explain how/why its better than the built-in functionality? Also, when you setup corporate exchange email, is it possible to setup up preferences so that your phone doesn't go off in the middle of the night when you get emails? I work with people all over the world so a good portion of my emails come through in the middle of the night.

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have exchange email on my DInc since the beginning. Super easy to set up. Easy to put signature in email authentically. Only down side is it doesn't have the html view that you are used to on your desktop. If you want that view then Touchdown is a good choice. Try the stock email first, if you don't like it then buy touchdown.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I use exchange on my android devices, and while I have a license for Touchdown I haven't really been using it, instead I just went with the native exchange app. The only thing I needed Touch Down for was the task stuff.

yaris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if I really need to buy the $44.99 corporate data plan to get access to my work email (which is what the verizon website makes it sound like)? I read one blog post suggesting this is totally unnecessary, but would like some confirmation before pulling the trigger . . . My work email is through Outlook, is probably pretty secure, and is not accessible via webmail.

Thanks!

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if I really need to buy the $44.99 corporate data plan to get access to my work email (which is what the verizon website makes it sound like)? I read one blog post suggesting this is totally unnecessary, but would like some confirmation before pulling the trigger . . . My work email is through Outlook, is probably pretty secure, and is not accessible via webmail.

Thanks!

You can set up your email through outlook just by using the standard HTC email app. All you need is the STMP server (like smtp.comcast.net) and the mail server (mail.comcast.net) and your user name and password. Everything else should fill automatically including ports, etc. I have my outlook email on all my phones. Check the box to "keep a copy on server" and you'll get the email on your computer too. Handy for larger files and spreadsheets.

Reactions: yaris

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thought that I would offer my 0.02. I own an IT business and routinely setup my clients with hosted Exchange accounts and use one myself.
I started with the built in HTC mail program on my Incredible, but coming from Windows Mobile I really missed a lot of features. You can schedule times when push is enabled, but you can't choose folders to sync, nor can you search the server. I can't even remember if I was even able to change my out of office settings.
I ended up running the trial of TouchDown, which was the full version other than being stuck with either no Signature or the default "sent from touchdown..." sig. This program has all the features of Wondows Mobile + the ability to access contact subfolders. iPhone is unfortunately and sadly the only other platform that has this ability.
I contacted their support with a question and got a real person who quickly responded.
Touchdown does take longer than HTC mail to do the initial sync, but probably equal to WinMo.
I definately suggest this program if you are on Exchange and it's worth the $20.
Hope this helps you guys! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Edit: I meant to add that I have been on the $30 unlimit data plan for quite a while. I don't know why they have the more expensive plan other than for those who don't know any better.
Also the HTC mail not being able to select folders to choose means that every time you go to sent items for example it will at that time sync and you have to wait for it to populate. That got very annoying!

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

All you need is the $30/mnth data plan.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I had used the native HTC app on my Dinc for about 8 months and recently was shown Touchdown by a co-worker. Touchdown is extremely configurable, lots of features. It really just depends on your needs. Try the native email app for a while, then try the free 30 day trial of Touchdown and see what works best for you.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Touchdown is a good program. I don't know how deep he wanted to get in his email using his phone so I suggested the HTC app. If you need more than standard email, reply,address book, and need to crawl through the mail server for folders on there then you'll need something like Touchdown.

Tortan

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that the $45 plan is for users that will be using their phone through a work server such as a Blackberry Exchange Server. They also limit the data to like 5gb. My .02 :)

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
HTC phones have ActiveSync baked into the OS, which is why they support Exchange better than other android phones. I have used the native TEC functionality and it works pretty good - so does Touchdown.

yaris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Great, that's all very reassuring -- I just saw the corporate plan and description for the first time today, and was pretty surprised and worried that the $30 plan wasn't going to do it for me after all -- but now I'm definitely looking forward to handing in my old blackberry and getting a good browser (and gps, and apps) at long last.

Thanks all!