Talk & Text plus Data and Alltel Smartpak customers

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello all the excited soon to be Thunderbolt users! I have some info on how Verizon Wireless customers who already have the Talk & Text Plus Data promo or an Alltel Smartpak plan will work with the Thunderbolt.

I work for VZW and my department handles all promotional offers and plans. There will be no change in how your current Talk & Text plus Data or Alltel Smartpak plans work! I know there were some people who were concerned about the data plans that would be available for the new 4G phones and I wanted to give this clarification to you guys. If there is any issue with activating your phone if you have these plans we can make sure you keep these pricing options. Also, learned something interesting about Data Only plans that are available for the Thunderbolt. There is a plan for $49.99 that will be for data only. I believe the voice rate is $.25 per minute. The only catch is you have to purchase the phone full retail and I imagine would probably have to call over the phone to get it set up properly. If you provide the Thunderbolt yourself via eBay, Craigslist, ect. that didn't involve any contract I imagine this would work as well since it would be considered Customer Provided Equipment.

Also, for clarification, the Talk & Text plus Data promo has already expired. The offer ended 1/31/11 so it's no longer available. I've received some PM's about this and just wanted to make sure this was clarified. This post was intended for customers who already have there plans. Hope this was helpful.

drew66

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all the excited soon to be Thunderbolt users! I have some info on how Verizon Wireless customers who already have the Talk & Text Plus Data promo or an Alltel Smartpak plan will work with the Thunderbolt.

I work for VZW and my department handles all promotional offers and plans. There will be no change in how your current Talk & Text plus Data or Alltel Smartpak plans work! I know there were some people who were concerned about the data plans that would be available for the new 4G phones and I wanted to give this clarification to you guys. If there is any issue with activating your phone if you have these plans we can make sure you keep these pricing options. Also, learned something interesting about Data Only plans that are available for the Thunderbolt. There is a plan for $49.99 that will be for data only. I believe the voice rate is $.25 per minute. The only catch is you have to purchase the phone full retail and I imagine would probably have to call over the phone to get it set up properly. If you provide the Thunderbolt yourself via eBay, Craigslist, ect. that didn't involve any contract I imagine this would work as well since it would be considered Customer Provided Equipment.

Also, for clarification, the Talk & Text plus Data promo has already expired. The offer ended 1/31/11 so it's no longer available. I've received some PM's about this and just wanted to make sure this was clarified. This post was intended for customers who already have there plans. Hope this was helpful.

Awesome news! Thanks! Now if I can just find someone to get me an early upgrade!

mbisson

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

You couldn't sneak a few of us in under the talk, text and data plan now could you?:D

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
June 2nd. I called and they said they could do 45 days early (April 17th) but not March 17.

Yea, that's a bit farther out. If they will do it within 45 days I would go for it. If someone offered you this make sure they notate this on the account.

drew66

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea, that's a bit farther out. If they will do it within 45 days I would go for it. If someone offered you this make sure they notate this on the account.

Yes, it is noted on the account. I am hoping that the store manager can work some magic.

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is noted on the account. I am hoping that the store manager can work some magic.

To be 100 % honest with you. You are going to have better luck over the phone. Our retail stores can't make the exceptions that customer service could in this situation. It's not that retail stores don't want to help, it's that they can't. I'm sure it has to do with some ethical guidelines.

drew66

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
To be 100 % honest with you. You are going to have better luck over the phone. Our retail stores can't make the exceptions that customer service could in this situation. It's not that retail stores don't want to help, it's that they can't. I'm sure it has to do with some ethical guidelines.

Thanks for the advise. I will call on Thursday and plead... I have been with VZW for 16 years and have 4 line family plan all with data (ok $10 data lol).

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Your welcome :) I was happy to hear this as well.

Yea, I was really worried about it because I have two lines with the promo so that'd be a $40/mo swing just to get phones for the wife and I. Telesales said the same thing today, and I'm glad you corroborated that.

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I was really worried about it because I have two lines with the promo so that'd be a $40/mo swing just to get phones for the wife and I. Telesales said the same thing today, and I'm glad you corroborated that.

No problem, glad I could help!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. I went into the Verizon store and they couldn't really find any info, but they thought that since it would be the same data plan that nothing would change.

So I was thinking it probably wouldn't change, but it's good to hear for sure. Now the only question is... is the "BlackBerry" data plan the same as the regular smartphone data plan? Do you think this will make a difference?

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. I went into the Verizon store and they couldn't really find any info, but they thought that since it would be the same data plan that nothing would change.

So I was thinking it probably wouldn't change, but it's good to hear for sure. Now the only question is... is the "BlackBerry" data plan the same as the regular smartphone data plan? Do you think this will make a difference?

It's the same price but a different code in our system. Since you already have it and qualify for the promo this won't likely be an issue. Worst case scenario is we would have to fix it for you which just takes a phone call.

Reactions: VideoEngineerAJS

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
jtron, they are going to allow me to pickup the phones at the corp store and activate later (as I have to get back to work)

Do they take the SIM number down at the store or what? How does activate work with the SIM and the ESN? Is there even an ESN now?

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When you insert the SIM it automatically does the Over The Air programming like dialing *228 did. The instructions will be in the box so you shouldn't necessarily need to activate them right away. The retail process is different so they might have some more up to date info on this for you. I usually ship customers phones with all the necessary info in the box. I did read that dialing *228 will require you to get another SIM card so don't dial *228 on the Thunderbolt!

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
When you insert the SIM it automatically does the Over The Air programming like dialing *228 did. The instructions will be in the box so you shouldn't necessarily need to activate them right away. The retail process is different so they might have some more up to date info on this for you. I usually ship customers phones with all the necessary info in the box. I did read that dialing *228 will require you to get another SIM card so don't dial *228 on the Thunderbolt!

So basically retail store will take the info from the SIM that comes with the unit and have it registered since you don't do *228? Hopefully they will write it down because I am not activating it there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22