Thunderbolt Battery Complaints + Tips/Tricks

bricon123

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I found a bunch of theads elsewhere that said to update it, then go into settings and toggle Update Movie Catalog. It seemed to work.

Oops, this was meant to be a response to someone about the Block Buster app to get it to quit updating. sorry

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I found a bunch of theads elsewhere that said to update it, then go into settings and toggle Update Movie Catalog. It seemed to work.

Oops, this was meant to be a response to someone about the Block Buster app to get it to quit updating. sorry

I had disabled Blockbuster but as of today a lot of that crapware is gone. I took the plunge and rooted and booted.

R

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from an INC to the TB,so battery is great for me on this phone. I'm not heavy user as some of you are. 8am to 5 pm 75% is good as hell for me. I really love the phone as is and its not even rooted.

ncruz408

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: with extended battery

I just wanted to share my experience with battery life. At first I was very upset, because the first time I charged it to 100% it only lasted 5 hours with minimal use and with default settings. I was ready to return the phone within 3 days if it continued to do so. I came across to this forum that night and learned many things. I had to download the sc@taiwan app to turn off 4g, turn off wifi, bluetooth, and gps. I also installed Task killer for Froyo and turned off all the apps that I was not using at that time, dim the brightness of screen, turn off auto sync, and two full cycle charges (from 10%-100% charges). By doing so, my battery life has increased from 5hrs of minimal use to 14 hours with these settings and with moderate use. (Browsing the web, texting, youtube, pandora, HTC sense, occasional phone calls, and light gaming with angry birds and robodefense) I just received the HTC extended battery from Verizon and will update the battery life on an updated post. I am so glad, I have kept the phone and I am loving it more and more each day:).

Day 1: Charged HTC extended battery from 30%-100%. Started the day at 8am-6:30pm with moderate use (texting, web surfing, friend stream, bluetooth, autosync on, 4g on, GPS on, brightness set at 1 bar) my battery life is at 77% At first, I was skeptical about the external battery because when I installed it on my phone, I was like this is one ugly mofo but I actually like the feel of it. Yes, it is not as sleek, and it is quite heavy but like one person put it "it feels like a man's phone." I am getting used the gripping of it and for me it works. No more constantly shutting apps, no more worrying about charging it whenever I can or readjusting my settings to prolong the battery life. I got it from Verizon for $37 total price with free shipping. The only CON I have is that there is no cases that would fit this hunk of junk lol. :p

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
As the second day I've had my extended battery, I cannot see functioning without it. My phone has got some pretty heavy usage today (playing winamp/pandora for a large portion of the day) and internet usage, along with a lot of texting. The only thing i didn't do was stream video. I managed my entire day, and still have about 50% left on it. At first I was horrified at how bulky the extended battery was, but in reality I could hardly notice it. I wish it contoured more, but beyond that, I am an extremely happy customer!

You are talking about an extended battery. Where did you get this battery? What brand is it? Any specs on it?

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought the extended battery on day 1 with my TBolt. It's a fantastic battery. I am however trying to get used to the stock battery so that I can use a gel case with the phone. I would prefer to use the extended battery as my normal everyday battery, but I will wait until they make a case that works with it. Other than that... I came from a Droid1 and I have to say that I'm really not unhappy with the stock battery in the Bolt. I always have access to a charger and I had to utilize them with my Droid1 just as much or more than my Bolt. I'm pretty happy with the Thunderbolt so far (except for lack of sound on video recording)

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Question... people are saying to turn off GPS to extend the battery life. But there are 3 different GPS settings. 1) VZW Location Services 2) Standalone GPS Services & 3) Google Location Services. Which ones do what???? I'm guessing one is for navigation services and one for the weather widget. Which ones do what and which ones should you turn off for better battery? Thanks.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
charged my phone until it was green and then turned it on...battery reads 91%

If you haven't already, you should bump charge it. After giving it a full charge (leaving the phone on and charging it for atleast 8 hours), unplug it and power it off. Then plug it back in until green light comes back on and wait atleast an hour. Use it normally and the next time you give it a full charge (while phone is on) it should show 100%. If not repeat process.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. Any changes in battery life?? How long did the rooting take you??

I'm using the standard battery and I'm now getting over 24 hours up without needing a charge on moderately light usage.

I used the easy root method and it only takes a few minutes to actually do it. It took me a few hours to figure it all out because the original instructions were not complete, but a user at xda "TheMorlince" put in a better step by step and it was easy after that. The entire process was about 20 minutes from start to finish once I figured it all out. Read the instructions over and over, get the process in your head. Then, print out the instructions and follow them.

R

JoseGutierrez

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Former iPhone User(Addict)

Hello all,

So I just bought my TB yesterday. Made the switch not only from AT&T to Verizon but from an iPhone 4 to the TB. Talk about a huge leap. I was very much happy with my iPhone but always wondered what it would be like to use Android. I use Google Apps very heavily so I wanted something with ultimate Google integration. So I went for the TB. so far I love it. It's is very fast and 4G is addiciting.

I'm in the Bay Area visiting family but San Diego(where I live) is also an LTE market. Only experience I had prior to this with Android is my Google TV which I love. Battery life is not great but that's what chargers are for. I'm rarely in situations where I don't have some kind of access to power. Yes, I wish battery life was better but my battery hasn't been truly calibrated yet. I refuse to put that honker of an extended battery on my TB so I'll have to deal with it.

Did the blockbuster thing, removed FriendFeed and disabled haptic except for the keyboard. Still too early for me to judge battery life. Coming from an iPhone 4 where I easily lasted all day with heavy use, it'll be an adjustment but so far no regrets.

Been using the TB moderately since 6AM. It is not 11:20AM and I have a little lestt than 50% battery left. Good enough for me.
(4G LTE on in a 4G market, WiFi On, GPS On, Bluetooth off, 25% brightness).

Last edited:

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
snap20110326_014321.png

at 74%, im just happy to know my phone wont die overnight. ive been impressed with my battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay