Thunderbolt Battery Complaints + Tips/Tricks

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not touching my device, its display is off, and it is hardly configured (Market synced some apps that I use on my Droid and Xoom, that's all) and it is charging via USB to my computer. And by charging I mean it is losing 1% battery life every twenty minutes or so, despite being hooked up to the PC.

Something tells me that there will be another firmware update coming in the very near future...

*EDIT* I've battery pulled my phone (the battery was at 40C for some reason) and now it is charging properly. I would suggest the rest of you do the same if you haven't done so after getting the phone from the store.

This is the EXACT same thing I'm seeing, except while it was plugged into the wall with the HTC jack. I had a very stock config, only plugged in my gmail account info ( which completed synching awhile ago ), am in a 3G only area, and was only surfing the web, and despite being plugged in, battery was STILL decreasing. Plus, I don't see the charge icon, and only saw it once after a couple of reboots. Crazy.

I'll try the battery pull, and see what happens.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone elses come half charged out of the box? I've been using it for a few hours since I got it and its been on the charger most of the time. The battery hasn't gone up at all. too bad it doesn't have lightning fast charging

I bought mine at noon today, ( 3.5 hours ago ), and the gal at the Vzn store had to plug it in to activate it. It had only 4% left on the battery. Sheesh.

PilotConway

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a high power usb it will charge at about half the rate of a wall charger. I was wondering why my phone was taking forever to charge and then realized it was connected to the computer and not the wall. Plugged it into a wall jack and it's charging much better.

Mine also came out of the box with about 50% battery, but it took about 2 hours of fiddling with it to get it to activate at the store so it at least last's that long being on almost the whole time.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
This is the EXACT same thing I'm seeing, except while it was plugged into the wall with the HTC jack. I had a very stock config, only plugged in my gmail account info ( which completed synching awhile ago ), am in a 3G only area, and was only surfing the web, and despite being plugged in, battery was STILL decreasing. Plus, I don't see the charge icon, and only saw it once after a couple of reboots. Crazy.

I take it back. Something is draining the bejeezus out of this battery and even Spare Parts won't say (unless it's the Calendar?). I believe we'll be getting new firmware sooner than later.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No **** thats whats supposed to happen
Do you actually know how a sim card works?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I do, but thanks for the laugh you angry little man. You (or maybe it was someone else) said to pull the sim card out to conserve battery and quit searching for 4G. Why in the hell would anyone want to do that? That's what prompted my comment. If you don't like my comment, quit putting out stupid information. If you didn't make the original comment, quit trying to butt into other posts and learn how to read. They have these tapes that will help you with the reading part.

Here is the post I replied to, from Moosc: He wrote "I think you all are having a placebo effect because of Sprint 4g and the evo. I don't see a reason for turning 4g of and if u do feel the need pull the sim card. and if your in a city with out 4g no need for having the sim card in place. going 4g is like going 1x to 3g and vise versus. u can't turn of 3g."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pull the sim card if I'm not in a 4G city? Why the hell would I do that? Not very good advice. While you can't turn off 3G, if you pull that sim card, you disable everything as it is for authentication. It's also how VZW will disable your phone in the future if they want to.

Last edited:

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Y'all realize these batteries don't reach their potential until about 4-6 full charge cycles in, right ? My Eris battery kinda sucked at first. Then like magically got WAY better after the 5th or 6th charge.

I am running LTE, Live Wallpaper, full screen brightness, and playing with it a ton, and it's been off the charger for 6 hours now and I'm at 30%. There is no way under my typical usage conditions that this phone is going to be much of an issue, and I expect to see that same jump in battery level, just like my Eris.

Will report back.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
It won't be great but I expect it won't be the worst either. Coming from an X I will miss not having to worry about it, but my needle moved 20% after 3 hours. So just guessing that's 12 -15 hours of "NORMAL" use. You can't expect to use any of these types of phones straight through non stop for hours on end without killing the battery especially with 4G and a 4.3" Screen.

I order the Seidio 1600 MAh battery with the GREEN11 19% discount it came to $41. I've always had decent luck with their batts. After the newness wares off if I can get through a whole work day (7AM-7PM) with my GPS and Email push on, I will be happy. I do a lot of emailing but I don't sit there playing with the phone non stop, so I think a whole work day is doable. Especially given my experience so far and the battery hasn't even cycled a few times yet.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the Seidio 1600 MAh battery, how trustworthy are third party batteries compared to OEM? I bought some non-OEM batteries for a Canon compact camera I had and the plastic on the batteries started melting after a few uses.

Are they safe?

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the Seidio 1600 MAh battery, how trustworthy are third party batteries compared to OEM? I bought some non-OEM batteries for a Canon compact camera I had and the plastic on the batteries started melting after a few uses.

Are they safe?

The Seidio's are perfectly fine. I've used them a number of times as have all my friends who had Incredibles. Good company and a good/reliable product. Wouldn't worry about them at all.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It's all based on usage -- the X does not get me through a day (Standard Battery or Extended Battery). I have to bump it a few times and always keep charger handy.

Who knows if LTE is more power hungry than 3G -- I suspect it is but have not seen any studies/results.

Dgomez242@comcast.net

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I may be crazy but my battery life seems really good so far. Charged it right after I got it at 10:00am. Used it like I always do (a Lot!!) and it is now at 46% I have never gotten 9 hours out of my battery on either my incredible or my facinate. So far I would say, I'm actually impressed by the battery so far.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Are they safe?

Safe to use, but hardcore battery tester folks results mostly show these 3rd party batteries to actually have a much lower mAh than advertised... including Seidio and Mugen.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Check under Settings / Accounts. I noticed a couple things were turned ON by default that I didn't want/care of, and were set to check every 15 minutes.