Thunderbolt USB "Disk Drive" connection

tcidragon

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Trying to connect my T-Bolt to my laptop (Vista) as "disk drive" connection. I have downloaded and installed the HTCsync directly from HTC...it works, sorta.

When I connect and select disk drive connection, it will not properly grab the SD card and locks up Explorer. When I pull the cable Windows recovers.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....and yes I am aware I need to upgrade to Win7:confused:

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue kind of.

I plugged mine in and went from charge only to disk drive. It mounted after a bit and I copied some of my ringtones from my computer.

When I went back to charge only, my computer seemed to lock up, especially windows explorer.

A little while later I went to go to disk drive again, and I finally got a message about the SD card being corrupted and needed to format.

It would not format in the phone.

I popped the card out and put it into my vista computer. WIndows Explorer would never pull up at all.

I put it into my Windows 7 machine and it popped up, but would not format. It goes through the motions but then says "Unable to format this card"

Went back to Verizon and they gave me a new 32g card. Popped it in and it has been smooth sailing.

They may have had a bad batch of SD cards. May be your problem.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Seems like I might need a new card. I have not had any issues where it needed to be formated but sometimes when I turn on disk drive the PC does not see the drive. This has been on three different PCs, two Win7 and one XP.

whitty hutton

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
is the download from HTC EXTREMELY slow, or is it just me? It's been 2 hours and i've only got 17mb out of 70mb, when i file that size usually takes minutes

jhr

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I talke to Verizon tech support and they were insisting I return the phone since it only reads2.5 gig and its not accessible. Besides that the micro SD also took like an hour just copu 40 mega bites. I had it plunged in on win7 laptop. Then I hooked it up to a win Vista 64 bit desktop and installed over 12gig of music in less than hour. Like 56 minutes....so I am baffled oh and I did mount as disk on both experiences.

SoldierofCatan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a bad card. I work tech support for a company that does digital portraits. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a bad CF card lock up windows explorer, then as soon as the drive is disconnected everything seems to work again. I'm sure a bad SD card will do the same thing.

bugaloo921

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I use Windows XP Pro, and when I mount as a disk, it opens VZW's crapware Media Mgr, which locks up the computer. When I shut that program down, I can access my SD card as a removable disk. Finally got all of my music that I wanted moved (merely 675, selected from over 18K!), as well as images saved from my DInc's SD card! :) After that, I had to unmount it from the phone, and then remount it so that different apps in my TB would recognize! Now we're cookin'!

-Former Crackberry abuser, turned on to Android with my DInc, and now THRILLED to Own my TB!

dewwit

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I also had a bad card. Couldn't get it to read on the phone, or on two different computers after I popped it out. I plugged another microSD in the phone and it worked fine. Took the phone in to the store and Verizon is shipping me out a new card. BTW, when I choose the "Disk Drive" USB connection all works great, but when I try either the "Internet connection" or the "Media Sync" it attempts to install the VZ media bloatware.

Last edited:

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Can I just unplug the phone from my laptop or do I have to select "eject"? Learned the hard way with my Dinc after Froyo update. Luckily I had pics backed up in other places.

tcidragon

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. So far I've tested the sd card and it works fine on all of my desktops/laptops. I have noticed "Verizon Mobile" attempting to mount as another drive on the system....guessing this is causing all of the lock up issues. Anyone know how to stop that or to at least make it mount itself properly? I didn't bother setting up the VZ BS on the phone as I have no use for it.

On a side note, I noticed that the Internal Phone Storage only reports 2.5Gb. Is this correct or do I need to contact Verizon? Where's the other 5.5Gb??

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. So far I've tested the sd card and it works fine on all of my desktops/laptops. I have noticed "Verizon Mobile" attempting to mount as another drive on the system....guessing this is causing all of the lock up issues. Anyone know how to stop that or to at least make it mount itself properly? I didn't bother setting up the VZ BS on the phone as I have no use for it.

On a side note, I noticed that the Internal Phone Storage only reports 2.5Gb. Is this correct or do I need to contact Verizon? Where's the other 5.5Gb??

Just noticed this happening on my system, for a wail I though my HD was about to tank. but yeah the hole system acts as if some one blew the virtual mem from the system, second I unplug the phone bam everything starts working. SD card seems to be working fine so I can't see why that would be the problem... guess I will check this out if I have some free time this weekend.

Accrete

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
coming from a WinMob6 OS i found the mounting/transferring to the Android Tbolt a bit confusing at first go this morning. Now that i understand that the mounting is an either PC sees SD card or Tbolt sees it i have it down. Not as elegant as ActiveSync for windows mobile devices...for you can have the SD card and device mounted on the PC desktop, and at the same time find/install/run the item on the WinMob device.

Switching the "Connect to PC" settings from "Charge Only" so the phone could recognize/use the SD card and back to "Disk Drive" so the PC could see/utilize the SD card was a new process for me coming from the WinMobile ActiveSync process.

No complaints, my wife and i are luving our Tbolts : )