Bump charging is alive and well...

Mr_Jibmiester

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. So I picked up my thunderbolt yesterday and I'm loving it. I plugged it in and woke up this morning. After it fully charged while on I decided to turn it off and see if I still had a green light. I turn it off, and sure enough, it went to orange once it powered down. It'll take awhile to determine if it actually makes a difference or not, but if its anything like the incredible, I'm sure it will. Just wanted to let you all know, try and get every last ounce outta that battery.

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. So I picked up my thunderbolt yesterday and I'm loving it. I plugged it in and woke up this morning. After it fully charged while on I decided to turn it off and see if I still had a green light. I turn it off, and sure enough, it went to orange once it powered down. It'll take awhile to determine if it actually makes a difference or not, but if its anything like the incredible, I'm sure it will. Just wanted to let you all know, try and get every last ounce outta that battery.

Well I had 46% left last night which I charged until 430pm and didn't get home until 930. I found that my text that i sent didn't have my phone number, instead it was a 16 digit number. So I read the forums.

So i shut the power off and pulled the battery. When I turned it on, the battery was at 26%! That's insane.

45Wheelgun

Jul 3, 2010
smith-wessonforum.com
I let mine fully charge over night. This morning, I shut it down, it took over an hour for it to return to "green". I did it a second time and it took about 25 minutes. Seems bump charging is alive a well with the T-Bolt.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You only have to really bump charge it once a month, right?

I believe bump charging refers to an HTC issue where after charging fully the phone starts to run on battery even though it is plugged in so when you disconnect you can immediately drop a few percentage points - because it has been running off of battery. The exception is if you power down then plug in.

Reactions: Shygar

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe bump charging refers to an HTC issue where after charging fully the phone starts to run on battery even though it is plugged in so when you disconnect you can immediately drop a few percentage points - because it has been running off of battery. The exception is if you power down then plug in.

So you have to turn off the phone every time you charge it for the night?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

It's not just limited to HTC. The Fascinate I have will do it too. I gets to 100% uses the battery until it drops down to 95% and then starts charging again.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
FYI, phones are designed to do this for battery health. Rather than constantly pumping current through the fully charged battery the device flops off the charging while it is still attached to the charger.

This helps prolong the life of the battery over time. It also helps with heat (if it fully charged and then kept running current through the battery from the attached charger it could get fairly warm -- just like it does when charging)

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So you have to turn off the phone every time you charge it for the night?

Or live with it. The reason turning it off leaves you with a 100% charge is likely because once it stops charging there is nothing using the battery. As bmcclure937 points out this is for your battery's own good.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was definitely hoping this was something HTC would fix coming from the Evo. Now to see how long itll take someone to come up with a SBC kernel for this phone.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
FYI, phones are designed to do this for battery health. Rather than constantly pumping current through the fully charged battery the device flops off the charging while it is still attached to the charger.

This helps prolong the life of the battery over time. It also helps with heat (if it fully charged and then kept running current through the battery from the attached charger it could get fairly warm -- just like it does when charging)

This!

I came from a Dinc, one of the MOST notorious devices needing bump charging... so I'm pretty familiar with it's short comings. Last night, I plugged in my TB and left it on while it charged. I unplugged it this morning, did some minor checks like e-mail and FB and sat at 98% after about 10 minutes of moderate data usage and screen usage.

If I had of done this same thing on my Dinc, I would have been down into the 80's because of how it ran off of battery after being fully charged.

The TB does not appear, in my opinion, to have this problem.

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
After driving to work it lost about 3% down to 97%.

Ihad no LTE when got here so I called Verizon from my office phone and they said to power down and pull battery.

LTE now works again but battery dropped to 89% . That is scary.

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It also looks like the phone needs to use the battery. A co-worker has the TB and I had him remove the battery while the phone was plugged in. Just like the DInc, the phone shut down once the battery was removed :(

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question. Where are you guys locating the battery percentage?

You can download third party widgets that give you battery percentage, or you can go to your battery info via Settings. Or, HTC provides a Battery Widget that you can get out of the Personalized -> Widget Menu -> Download More HTC Widget and there is a battery widget.

I really like HTC's...

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, but I thought there was a second part of this. Meaning, once the battery is fully charged, phones stopped charging the battery as you state, but then they also switched to use power from the A/C as opposed to the battery. That's why when you pull the plug from the phone, the battery is still at full charge even though the phone was left on. It seems that the bumping issue is that the "second part" is not being done (i.e., using wall power versus the battery once it's fully charged).

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

From the home screen hit the Personalize (paint brush and palette on the bottom right next to Phone)

Then hit Widget under Skin on top of App
Then select Get More HTC Widgets ant the top.
Then scroll down and Download.
Exit and go back into the Widgets.
It will now appear under the the HTC widgets.
Just select and drag to an empty spot.

Sorry for the detailed way to get there. I'm not sure how much experience you have with Android and sense.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
While charging, tap on the numbers on the HTC Sense clock. You'll see the battery percentage of charge in the lower right. This is the only way I know to get the percentage of charge from an out-of-the-box TBolt. When not charging, there is no way that I can find.

-Frank

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
OK, new to Android and smartphones for that matter but here's what I got so far. I fully charged my phone yesterday around 4:30pm; Used the heck out of it until around 11:30pm and still had a small chunk of green showing (didn't have the HTC battery widget yet); Did plug the charger in all the way so the phone didn't charge last night, instead I plugged it in (while it was on) during my time at the gym for about an hour and a half; have it with me at my desk playing with it downloading apps, Tango with wife, texting with wife, buddy, and duaghter,instead of working (hehehe), added battery widget and I still show 72% battery. All I've done so far is turn off wifi, lowered brightness of screen, and turn off that annoying vibration thing when I text or touch an app. Is that pretty good so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49