*BEWARE* Deactivating TB is a one-way deal

garuda

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
So if one wants to keep swapping frequently between the TB and a 3G VZW phone (same number) is it possible to do so without the need for a new SIM every time the TB is activated or not?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
wow, another example of Verizon not thinking things through! Begs the question if replacement phones through Assurion will come with new sim cards.

This isn't Verizon's fault, this is how SIM cards work. When you deactivate the line, the sim card is no longer usable. It is tied to that number and that number only, and cannot be changed. (this is how people that own GSM phones can switch between them so easily)

If you are keeping the same number, but want to use the same SIM and its been deactivated, they can reuse it. But they cannot, under any circumstances, change the number associated with a SIM.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This is NOT just true for switching numbers. I have a TB and an iPhone. BOTH were activate on the same number. I had the TB activated in store yesterday, but reactivated the iphone this morning. When I went to reactivate the TB it will not work. Called VZW and got that same answer. NO MATTER WHAT, even if it is the same number, once a SIM is deactivated it is junk, it will not reactivate/provision no matter what line it came from. This is useless for people who change phones alot.

Well don't switch phones then, because this isn't going to change.

You're talking about phones with different technologies. The Bolt relies on its sim card for activation and network registration. When it is no longer activated on the network, and the number transferred to a 3G CDMA device, that SIM is dead.

Its one of the headaches of having a network that is utilizing two contrasting technologies, but its going to be a fact of life for the next few years.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So if one wants to keep swapping frequently between the TB and a 3G VZW phone (same number) is it possible to do so without the need for a new SIM every time the TB is activated or not?

Nope. You'd need a new SIM each and every time. And I doubt Verizon would keep issuing you them if you do it regularly.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You'd need a new SIM each and every time. And I doubt Verizon would keep issuing you them if you do it regularly.

Yep, at some point they would likely make you start paying for them (probably in the form of an activation fee?).

This wont matter when all phones are 4G but that is a couple years off. Intill then you will have to deal with it.

garuda

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Now that this phone has been around for a while, has anyone figured out how to swap phones, say a 3G phone and the Thunderbolt, for the same number, without running into the issue of requiring a new SIM card everytime the Thunderbolt is activated?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Now that this phone has been around for a while, has anyone figured out how to swap phones, say a 3G phone and the Thunderbolt, for the same number, without running into the issue of requiring a new SIM card everytime the Thunderbolt is activated?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there is no way around this as long as you have two techs for phones (3G/4G). Once everything is 4G it will be hunky dory but as of right now changing to a different phone deactivates the SIM number. The TB is activated through he new Sim card/LTE system (notice that they don't do *228 to activate the phone all they have to do is scan the SIM card and the phone bar code on the box). Other phones are actuated through the "old" system. Switching between them deactivates the SIM.

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I'm sure you all have figured this out by now but if not here's the run down I got at my job:

1.If you are doing an alternate upgrade you will need a 2nd sim card.
2.If you are switching between phone #'s you will need multiple some as well.
3.If you are just switching between phones on one line you will only need one sim.

Apparently the sim cards Verizon is using will only work with one phone #.

1. incorrect. If you are doing an alternate upgrade, 1 sim card is needed. just select the line that has the upgrade then select alternate upgrade, then select the line you want the TB on.

2. Correct. also if you are adding a new line to get the TB and want the TB on one of the existing line, you'll need 2 sim. 1 sim to activate service on new line and 1 sim to activate on the line you want the TB on.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday I decided to get my TB a little faster and pick it up at the Verizon store. I wasn't quite ready to activate it, but thought I could come in and pick it up and have it ready to activate later in the day (like an online order.)

The rep said no way, the phone must leave activated. I was apprehensive about putting the brand new phone I wasn't used to on my primary so I let him activate it on one of my idle secondary lines.

So last night, after getting used to it, I decide to swap to my main line. We'll short story, is that once your deactivate the TB, the SIM card is "retired" (I'm using the Verizon tech's exact words) AND you need a BRAND NEW SIM to reactivate it. This is regardless of the phone number that the SIM was originally tied to.

So basically, every time you activate the TB, you need a new SIM to go along with it. I escalated the ticket and a higher tech confirmed. Every time the TB is deactivated, the SIM is retired. Requiring a brand new SIM for the next activation.

Just thought I'd give a heads up because most corporate stores only have one retail SIM per TB in stock and won't give any extras. You will be forced to get a new SIM from Verizon national and wait 1-2 days.
Hi SC,

I learned this when I returned my phone for a new one, I thought the rep would use my old sim card but No, I had to get a brand new sim card *sighs* all my pictures and things that I didn't have saved elsewhere were gone. A lesson learned. I am so used to itunes (prior iphone4 user) that I would just sync everything down to memos, but all is well. Thanks for the heads up:)

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the other carriers that have SIM cards do the same thing or is it just Verizon? i would assume they are all like that.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the other carriers that have SIM cards do the same thing or is it just Verizon? i would assume they are all like that.

They are all like that. It generally isn't a problem though since everything is SIM but since VZW has two activation systems (the old 3G CDMA one) and the newer (SIM 4G/3G) one it is causing problems.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi SC,

I learned this when I returned my phone for a new one, I thought the rep would use my old sim card but No, I had to get a brand new sim card *sighs* all my pictures and things that I didn't have saved elsewhere were gone. A lesson learned. I am so used to itunes (prior iphone4 user) that I would just sync everything down to memos, but all is well. Thanks for the heads up:)

That sucks :(

Why would you save that to the SIM instead of a MicroSD card with a LOT more capacity? (just curious).