Thunderbolt Problems & Solutions Tracker + Battery Tips 8/13/11

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Problem: Missing "Car Panel" icon in the app drawer.
Solution: Use a 3rd Party Launcher (Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, etc..)

instead of doing that u can just type Car Panel into the Google Search widget...make sure u have Apps checked off in the settings under Searchable Items

JR4815D2

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt has been off the charger for over 4 hours now and im still around 90% battery. Here is what I have changed to make my battery last.
First I turned off the LTE service through the dialer instructions in this link.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/70282-how-turn-off-lte.html

Also under location in the settings I turned off the VZW location service. There are 3 location settings there. VZW, standalone GPS, and Google location.
That was all. It seems like the VZW location runs constantly.

I changed these setting yesterday afternoon and my battery lasted the rest of the day. I unplugged in again this morning around 4 hours ago and its still going strong. Someone try this and verify that it works.

This worked for me. I had my phone turned on overnight with these settings. Got up in the morning and phone was dead. Next day, did it with all 3 checked off and phone was 95% charged. I also used App Advanced Task Killer so nothing is running in the background. People says GPS has nothing to do with draining the battery, but my old phone used to search for signal all the time. GPS do drain the batteries, they are constantly searching for the radio signal. If you own a GPS unit, leave it on and see how long before the battery dies out. This works for me and having the weather isn't important for me. If I am using the GPS, then I would plug in the USB to charge when using the GPS. GPS signals consumes more power than any other signal. This might work for me, but it may not work for others. I owned several phones over the years with built in GPS and once the signal are off, batteries lasted much longer.

jpvybes

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as hissing, I did turn on the hearing aid and it went away but this by no means should be the fix. :-S I called Verizon and had them open up a ticket with HTC as I'm hoping it could be addressed with a future software update.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not receiving texts. People are getting mine but I'm not getting their responses. I've pulled the battery and SIM. Still nada.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Profuse thanks with update!

I just verified -- Android newbie that I am -- that I can text and call w/mobile network turned off. I'm in a fringe 4G at work so this is huge for me.

On my TB I have put the Settings widget on my center home screen -- what with all the experimenting and adjusting of settings being done to reduce power use. 'Mobile network' is on the "Wireless & networks" menu in 'Settings' so I must hit:

Home key > Settings (widget) > 'Wireless & networks' > 'Mobile network' to check/clear the internet connectivity box.

I also found a "mobile networks" menu item just below 'Mobile network' and wondered if I should clear "Enable always-on mobile data" on that sub-menu. I did so & will look for any effects.
HtH

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Reply to trusteelfan post #23
I unchecked the 3 location settings before I left the vzw store with the TB. Haven't helped much that I can tell. I just now used Gunmetal's tip in post #10 to quick-disconnect internet altogether -- I'm in a fringy 4G area. Will report results.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
In reference to this
Reported Problem: Cannot disable Backup Assistant once it has been configured.
Solution: Requires hard reset. After you complete the reset, do not reconfigure through the setup wizard.

Just received a replacement device and orginal device I had signed up for Google privacy to "Automatic Restore" & "Back up my settings". So I did this "skip" setting up Backup Assistant and proceeded to add my google / twitter / emails. Turned phone off and back on and in Acct & Settings it has the NO green sync symbol next to Backup Assistant. Yet Backup Assistant ran it when I turned phone on and yet when I click into Backup Assistant it brings me to main setup screen to accept the terms and sign up for it. Also when you click "Add account" shows the check mark as it already has added an Backup Assistant account.

Anyways not sure how this changes current information but even with it technically not activated or agreed to it is "Syncing" and running as somehow an active service on my Thunderbolt at the moment. SIGH

Last edited:

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just verified -- Android newbie that I am -- that I can text and call w/mobile network turned off. I'm in a fringe 4G at work so this is huge for me.

On my TB I have put the Settings widget on my center home screen -- what with all the experimenting and adjusting of settings being done to reduce power use. 'Mobile network' is on the "Wireless & networks" menu in 'Settings' so I must hit:

Home key > Settings (widget) > 'Wireless & networks' > 'Mobile network' to check/clear the internet connectivity box.

I also found a "mobile networks" menu item just below 'Mobile network' and wondered if I should clear "Enable always-on mobile data" on that sub-menu. I did so & will look for any effects.
HtH

I just unchecked enable always on mobile data too. I guess we'll see if it makes a difference? I'm looking for anything to give me better battery life at this point.

nutty

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a minor issue here. When I click my messages icon, it shows I have 2 new messages (has a 2 on the index card icon at the bottom and also a 2 on the double index card -- nothing is on the cassette tape looking icon(vmail)). I can't figure out how to get rid of the 2 on the icon. I have deleted all of my messages and it's still there. I have rebooted my phone a couple of times and it's still there. Any ideas???

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a minor issue here. When I click my messages icon, it shows I have 2 new messages (has a 2 on the index card icon at the bottom and also a 2 on the double index card -- nothing is on the cassette tape looking icon(vmail)). I can't figure out how to get rid of the 2 on the icon. I have deleted all of my messages and it's still there. I have rebooted my phone a couple of times and it's still there. Any ideas???

delete the cache in manage applications

Reactions: nutty

Fhiz

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a really weird issue I've been having. Every time I seem to open up something to start typing, it always seems as if my keyboard is in capslock default. is there anyway to fix this?

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here is a procedure I found on the HTC site. I tired this and so far it seems to work. YMMV

READ HERE if you are having 3G connection problems - HTC Thunderbolt (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community

I found this posted on the Verizon support forum by a customer, he said to go into the Wireless Settings/Mobile Network menu and uncheck the Data Roaming box and change the Select System from Automatic to Home Only. After you do that, turn the phone off and back on. I did that earlier today and so far it has stayed on 4G and hasn't bounced between 3G and 1X like it has been.

If anyone is having issues keeping 4G, you might want to give that a try.

jontko

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
In response to TB showing less than 8 GB when specs read 8 GB. Included OS and Bundled software consume a little over 5GB. Available space usually will state approx 3.2 GB avail space out of box. Device should ship with 32GB SD, Attempt to move any apps to the SD card.

XXI

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this problem was posted already

Problem: I went into settings and checked off fast boot, and i would power off my device and it did the fast boot once took 10-12 seconds and every time afterwards its been booting up the old way where it takes more than a min to boot up.

Solution:????????????????????

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Since a lot of members aren't following the request I made in post #3 about questions, I will go ahead and allow them. Actually, I should of expected this, so no offense taken by my comment. Just do me a favor, please search for other existing threads, or start a new one, if you have a problem and are looking for a solution. You are much more likely to get answered in one of those, plus you are benefiting a wider audience. I will try to do my best to answer what I can, but due to time constraints, it might not be the most effective way to get help.

Thanks!

dijohn

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that multiple email accounts will drain the battery faster. Anyone know if this is true? I currently have gmail plus two other accounts with the same battery problems everyone else complains about.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess it would depend on how frequent you have the settings to check to emails. it will drain if you have the frequency set on 15 mins or so.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys, here is my problem; it happens about 2 out of 3 times. I will leave my house (wifi turned on) and when i leave the wifi zone, it takes anywhere up to 10 minutes to catch a 3g signal. sometimes, i have to go in to the settings and turn off the network signal or airplane mode. is this common or should i just turn off wifi before i leave the house?

JBundles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem when rebooting the phone, I lose about 22%, I restarted and went from 41% to 19% in a minute. I guessing it's not reading the value correctly but can't be sure. Anyone else?

i have had the same problem, anyone have any info? seem to loose 20% any time i restart.