Odd connectivity issues with my unit. Defective?

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
This Thunderbolt is great so far, but I have discovered 2 rather major problems with the phone. Perhaps I have a defective phone.

First, at all volumes of the speaker there is audible but low volume white noise in the background. I have rather sensitive ears, so it is rather annoying.

Second, my phone has been having very sporadic connectivity issues. All of a sudden I would go from surfing the web at full bars on 3G to no connection at all. No data, no voice, could not dial 911 if i wanted to. Battery pull doesn't do anything. It stays like that for about 10 minutes and then phone and 3G would suddenly come back. Happened twice today in area with no 4G coverage.

Anybody else notice anything like that? Or did i get a dud?

Last edited:

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
isnt it a bit of problem that radio on the phone gets completely disabled and doesn't even attempt roaming somewhere else? Would be a big problem if during those 10 minutes I had to contact 911.

Kind of reminds me of that problem Fascinate had.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem too but I am in a 4G LTE area and I think the problem is when it switches or loses a 4G signal. Never for an hour, but maybe for a few minutes as it tries to figure out which signal to lock onto.

Have you tried disabling the 4G LTE Radio to see if it helps?

See the last post in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/69245-super-simple-way-disable-4g-lock-onto-4g.html

Download the app called "Phoneinfo" but sc@taiwan (there are a lot of apps called PhoneInfo in the market so you have to look for it), and follow the directions in the thread. Maybe this will help?