are you off the internet if you close the browser?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the 1400min plan and sooooo do not need a nasty surprise come bill time. Would just like to know if closing the browser disconnects me totally from accidentally running up minutes?

Let.me please add does just clicking the home button get me offline of the internet?

Last edited:

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
web browser or any data use doesnt use minutes. only thing that uses minutes is actually talking to someone. an usually if its another verizon customer its free

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To add to that, I don't think you can close the browser. On my bb I hit menu, close. Seems you just navigate away from it on this phone.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Navigating away is all it seemed like I was doing which is what scared me about a potential huge bill .. wow ... How cool is that!!!

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The stock browser doesn't really close unless you get a task killer or go to "manage applications".

I recommend downloading the (free) Dolphin HD browser. You have tabs instead of windows, more customization, and when you hit menu you can truly exit the browser if desired (and clear your cash/history if desired).

Dolphin is the most popular add on internet browser.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The browser/internet uses data not minutes. The unlimited plan you had to buy uses data for browsing and downloading. It will show up as mb/gb's on verizon. Minutes are only used for calling people not on verizon. Verizon to verizon is free. And also with the 1400 minute plan, you have the friends/family option for 10 people. You add 10 people not on verizon and it doesnt charge you when you talk to them. It's great, just wish they would bring it to the 700 minute plan.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The fact that you can't officially exit the browser has always bugged me for some reason, which is why I roll with Dolphin HD browser

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't yet found an app on the phone that you could close.

-Frank

And you're right - most native apps can't be officially exited. But most of those apps are small, whereas the browser can be very resource hungry, especially when you have multiple tabs open. For that reason I cared about being able to officially close out the browser.

Not knocking Android's browser since they are really good at keeping things minimal when not used, but I made my decision and I'm sticking to it ;)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The stock browser doesn't really close unless you get a task killer or go to "manage applications".

I recommend downloading the (free) Dolphin HD browser. You have tabs instead of windows, more customization, and when you hit menu you can truly exit the browser if desired (and clear your cash/history if desired).

Dolphin is the most popular add on internet browser.

+1 for Dolphin Browser.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Dolphin Browser.
Can you enlighten a noob please..Is Dolphin HD what I would browse with instead of clicking on internet? If so I will no longer have the need for google Browser? I was also concerned with sites not closing after I exit them and it's tiring running to manage apps after every single thing I do. also wanted to know if watching youtube and I leave it is that still considered open/ asking because I went to manage applications and then to running apps and its there but then when I went to running services its not listed, so a bit confused.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Can you enlighten a noob please..Is Dolphin HD what I would browse with instead of clicking on internet? If so I will no longer have the need for google Browser? I was also concerned with sites not closing after I exit them and it's tiring running to manage apps after every single thing I do. also wanted to know if watching youtube and I leave it is that still considered open/ asking because I went to manage applications and then to running apps and its there but then when I went to running services its not listed, so a bit confused.

Android 2.2 runs apps in a low-usage state when you back out of them. If you hit the back button on YouTube you should just as well consider it "closed"

As for Dolphin HD, it is just a replacement browser the same way that Firefox "replaces" Internet Explorer on Windows. Both can be installed and you can still use both at either time, but you can set Dolphin as the default (the same way Firefox would be the default in Windows) and use that app for all your browsing. It would not delete the stock Android browser and you could still pull that one up to use if you wanted

Reactions: lovy

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Android 2.2 runs apps in a low-usage state when you back out of them. If you hit the back button on YouTube you should just as well consider it "closed"

As for Dolphin HD, it is just a replacement browser the same way that Firefox "replaces" Internet Explorer on Windows. Both can be installed and you can still use both at either time, but you can set Dolphin as the default (the same way Firefox would be the default in Windows) and use that app for all your browsing. It would not delete the stock Android browser and you could still pull that one up to use if you wanted
Thank you so much for the explanation, I was reading up on it and I think it will be easier for me to quit apps with. Quick question am I to get the paid one? or is free one just as good?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
you can when on the browser click on menu and then click on "more" and then "home" it backs out to the google home page and you are out. At least I can do this on my Incredible

I don't recommend a task killer It really isn't necessary and it drains the heck out of your battery. Many of us don't recommend using a task killer but it is entirely up to you

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the explanation, I was reading up on it and I think it will be easier for me to quit apps with. Quick question am I to get the paid one? or is free one just as good?

Get the free one.

When you're done surfing, just hit "menu key" then select "exit". Bam, now it's out of your RAM. Add a app shortcut to it on your home screen if you want too.

Reactions: lovy