Would a taskiller help the life of the Tbolt?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Possibly if you set if up right. But not much even if you do it right.

The issue with running a TK is there are a lot of pre-installed apps/processes that once killed will restart right back up. Now your TK and that app get into a circle of on/off which sucks battery, and stops the phone from sleeping.
But if you set up your TK properly and avoid the above scenario it can't really hurt. But it's a lot of hassle for almost no gain.

If you know how to run a Tk then you can get benefit if you have an app or two that you need to have killed once the phone sleeps then the TK can take care of that.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android and one thing I don't understand is why apps don't have a feature to shut them down. I'm coming from the Blackberry world and all the apps have the ability to be closed so they don't take up resources running in the background.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android and one thing I don't understand is why apps don't have a feature to shut them down. I'm coming from the Blackberry world and all the apps have the ability to be closed so they don't take up resources running in the background.

I think this, if a bit techie, might explain it:

Because of the way Linux manages RAM using a task killer when you don't have any apps misbehaving will degrade your performance noticeably. This is because everything has to be loaded back into RAM when you start your application again. The "sleep" described above is negated when you kill all of your applications thinking that you will gain performance by "clearing" out RAM. So while in the WinMo world you wanted as few apps running as possible the same is not true in the Android world and your Hero is an Android device! It's not an easy mindset to change. I am a Linux geek for a living and I still grabbed a task manager on my first day and started killing running apps. I had to get my head around my phone actually being Linux. I can imagine for someone who doesn't come from my background that this is even harder to grok.
Task Managers and your Hero - Android Forums

Basically, Android operates differently than you might think; and because of that, 'closing' the application may not be the best action.

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

A lot can be closed my just hitting the back button. Others can be closed by selecting Menu while in the app. Or download a app like system panel that allows manual killing.

Also there is a task killer native to android.
At the home screen go to Menu / settings / applications / manage applications