*228 equivilant

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
so when you dial *228 and "update your roaming capabilities" does that do anything? I have always been under the impression that if you did that, then your signal was a little stronger for some reason. And if this assertion is correct, is there some way to do this on the Bolt? Because every time I dial *228, it connects, and then disconnects right away.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
All *228 ever did was update the list of system IDs in the phone and set priorities for the different networks. This list is known as the Preferred Roaming List, or PRL.

If VZW launched new service in an area where they previously roamed, added additional frequencies (like when they added 1.9GHz service to add capacity in 800MHz areas), or if they changed roaming partners (for example, preferring US Cellular over Sprint), then the PRL update would be necessary to see the changes. When EVDO (3G) was being added several years ago, PRL updates were issued each time a new area launched.

It had nothing to do with signal strength the vast majority of the time. As stated above, it would only make a difference when major network changes were made or roaming partners changed. Now that VZW has bought a huge number of their former roaming partners, this matters even less.

Contrary to popular belief, PRL updates were not necessary to see a new cell site in an area that was already built out with coverage. Only major changes require PRL updates.

For 4G LTE devices including the Thunderbolt, there is no *228. All activations and updates are pushed directly to the phone.

Even most older CDMA only devices allow push updates. There may be a few that have trouble with the push updates, but those were almost certainly retired a long time ago. GSM carriers have, to the best of my knowledge, always their equivalent of PRL updates transparently to the user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith