using WiFi - is this a tethering thing?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello again,

My TB is now recognized on my home network and my TB says I'm connected to it as well. Now, if I want to use my WiFi connection to access the Internet from my phone instead of using my data allowance do I have to tether it? If not, how do I get my TB to use the Wifi instead of the data allowance?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello again,

My TB is now recognized on my home network and my TB says I'm connected to it as well. Now, if I want to use my WiFi connection to access the Internet from my phone instead of using my data allowance do I have to tether it? If not, how do I get my TB to use the Wifi instead of the data allowance?

it connects just like a laptop would connect, once connected you are no longer using carrier data

settings>wireless & network>wi-fi settings>check off wi-fi
this will give you available networks, choose the one you want to connect to, if you need a password enter it..at the top in the notification bar you will see your 3g/4g icon disappear and turn into 3 waves

Reactions: ShaggyKids

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Chuckling ... Are you following me around and watching out for me? You have been right on top of all my questions with answers :) and you are very much appreciated for doing so.

Gee, I might not need to pay for the unlimited plan if I can use WiFi because I mostly am using my phone at home or at work. I just don't know if I can access the work network until I give it a try when I get back to work in a few days.

How will the phone notify me of open/available connections?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Chuckling ... Are you following me around and watching out for me? You have been right on top of all my questions with answers :) and you are very much appreciated for doing so.

Gee, I might not need to pay for the unlimited plan if I can use WiFi because I mostly am using my phone at home or at work. I just don't know if I can access the work network until I give it a try when I get back to work in a few days.

How will the phone notify me of open/available connections?

im at home watching the movie Up in the air, i hit the new posts button and there you are lol

usually if you leave wifi area it will revert back to data, wifi tends to scan for a network ever 20 to 30 seconds, thats why its best to shut if off when leaving a wifi area because it will chew up battery,,, so i guess the trade off for having it scan is battery life. you may have to ask your IT guy for the password at work

Reactions: ShaggyKids

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Asking for network access at work would be like asking to be murdered. They'd shoot me (down) in a heartbeat. They're really cracking down on Internet usage etc. We can't even check our personal email there :( I'm glad you told me the bit about the scan, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888