How to set a contact ringtone??????

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Why do they make this so damn difficult?

I am trying to assign a custome ringtone to a contact.

When I setup my phone and logged into gmail account all of my gmail contacts shows up. When I tapa contact under People, it lists all the details and at the bottom it says Ringtone and allows me to select a custom ringtone. Right under it it has Block caller and edit.

However, if I add a new contact using my phone, it gives the option of Phone or my gmail account. If I select phone, this information does not show. If I choose my google account, it pops up about certain fields blah blah.. And again no ringtone selection.

I have exported/imported and select gmail contacts and still no dice.

All that shows when I add a contact is the Edit Contact button and nothing else. Not like all my existing contacts show.

I want a new contact to sync with gmail contacts and not save to phone.

What am I doing wrong? How do I assign a ringtone? I know on some phones you have to select the ringtone and then assign it to a contact. But I can't find my ringtones at all. No file browser that I can find.

Any help????

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Why do they make this so damn difficult?

I am trying to assign a custome ringtone to a contact.

When I setup my phone and logged into gmail account all of my gmail contacts shows up. When I tapa contact under People, it lists all the details and at the bottom it says Ringtone and allows me to select a custom ringtone. Right under it it has Block caller and edit.

However, if I add a new contact using my phone, it gives the option of Phone or my gmail account. If I select phone, this information does not show. If I choose my google account, it pops up about certain fields blah blah.. And again no ringtone selection.

I have exported/imported and select gmail contacts and still no dice.

All that shows when I add a contact is the Edit Contact button and nothing else. Not like all my existing contacts show.

I want a new contact to sync with gmail contacts and not save to phone.

What am I doing wrong? How do I assign a ringtone? I know on some phones you have to select the ringtone and then assign it to a contact. But I can't find my ringtones at all. No file browser that I can find.

Any help????
I was going nuts with this yesterday and my thirteen year old son did it for me IDK how he did it he owns the Dinc so he knows stuff I will wait until he gets back and if you do not have the answer I will have him post it for me. I didn't bother to ask him how he did it I just handed him my phone lol. I found the ones he did for me under ringtones with the ones that came with the phone

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
On your homescreen hit Menu>Ringtones>New Ringtones and it should take you to any ringtones or songs that you have put on the phone yourself. Once you find it, click the "bubble" to the right of it and then click the "ADD" button at the bottom. Then go to People, find the person you want to customize a ring for and right under the options section you'll see Ringtone. Click that and you should be able to find the new ringtone. That worked for me.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
When I clicked on a contact to add the ring tone I saw options then ring tone, block caller and edit. I picked ring tone and added it. Do you see these options?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
There's a way to do this through the Music app, also, assuming the ringtones you want to assign are music files you've added yourself. Open Music, scroll to the song and then tap menu -> more -> set as ringtone -> contact ringtone.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes but that is just using the stock ringtones. My directions were if you wanted to basically add your own ringtone to a contactand not jsut the stock ones.

Did you already create/download this custom ringtone?

If so, click the contact, scroll down, under options you will see Ringtone. Click on that and it will let you choose any .mp3, .wav, etc. file on your phone.

If you're trying to create a custom ringtone, you're going to need an app for that.

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I got it. I went to music/more and set ringtone for contact. These were in my ringtones folder on sd card.

It allowed me to select one or more contacts to select.

Now, all the options to for ringtone or block, are now visible.

Whew...

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to get this done.

Thanks for all your guys help!

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
My son did a custom one some music app he used well a combination but IDK how he did it he is not back yet, but it is possible

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Did you already create/download this custom ringtone?

If so, click the contact, scroll down, under options you will see Ringtone. Click on that and it will let you choose any .mp3, .wav, etc. file on your phone.

If you're trying to create a custom ringtone, you're going to need an app for that.

Yes, I had them from my old phone SDcard and transfered those to my TBolt.