How is the headphone output sound quality?

e88cc

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for sharing your impressions! Really good to know that not all TB's hiss, even with sensitive IEM's.

I guess the moral of the story is that this evident defect with some units provides at least one very good reason to make your purchase in a B&M store, rather than online - to facilitate and prompt return and exchange if you get a handset that has the hiss.

davesax36

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll be sure to take my headphones with me when I go to the store to get my TB. I'm pretty sure this is going to be my next device, even though I'll be using an early upgrade from my D1 (which has served me great so far). I'm just not sure I want to wait until the Bionic comes out so I can A/B with the TB. I will certainly keep an eye on this thread, though, as sound quality is important to me.

milestone#AC

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Awake old thread! Any idea if there's a vid tut on how to create that 75ohm resistor? Or insert them into the wires? Heading over to headfi just in case.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm just using standard everyday wraparounds, the Sony MDR-G45s, and I have absolutely no hiss whatsoever. I use Radio Companion, Tune In, and iHeart and all of them sound really good. So I must be really fortunate, because I've not had any of the issues that a lot of people are complaining about with this phone.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Fascinates is Verizon Galaxy s but the sound coming out of the Thunderbolt in my opinion is better.

The Galaxy S DAC and headphone amp are fantastic. Samsung, in typical fashion didn't implement the driver properly, and so the sound isn't great. When you update the driver via Voodoo sound, the Fascinate is much, much better sounding than the TB.

Bailarge

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I just used my my ipod headphones on it last night. Was listening to a few songs that I loaded onto it. Sounded bad until I switched to SRS. I honestly think it sounds pretty darn good. I was very impressed. I just used the stock music player, FWIW.

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it with my Etymotic ER-6i IEMs and with Grado SR60s. I think it sounds OK. I don't notice much hiss myself but then I am getting older.

zeze22

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been very critical of HTC output audio, and this issue has caused me to return every HTC I have ever bought and to stick with iPhone 4. I used Monster Turbine Pro Coppers which are extremely revealing earphones and can be unforgiving.

I am thrilled to say that HTC fixed this issue on the TB. I get great clarity, musicality and detail on the TB on par with the iPhone 4. I finally have an HTC I can live with.

e88cc

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
After much debate, I picked up a TB this last weekend. The phone is a beast, and I love it for the most part (rapid battery drain aside), but the hp jack does have a soft hiss when I'm listening with my IE8's. It is rarely noticeable when music is playing, but it is definitely there when the music stops.

From what I can tell, the hiss kicks in when playback is enabled but its level has no relation to volume. It is most blatant for a second or two after pausing playback. Then the HP circuit apparently cuts out and the hiss vanishes. Otherwise, the playback quality is decent enough for a phone I suppose...but the hiss may be a deal breaker for some.

Personally, I'm finding the insane data speed more than makes up for it though. LTE is simply surreal after living with AT&T's basically worthless 3g network (in Los Angeles) for the last 2 years.

NickWBurns

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
sounds good

i think the sound quality is great, i just have the basic skull candy headphones and the quality is great. The srs is pretty good. I used to have bose headphones till they broke, i wouldnt waste my money on those again. but overall its great

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad