Can't Locate TB's Internal Storage!!

Fenwayfan77

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
After reading on the internet, I gather that it is possible to access the internal storage of android devices. Some people commented that the phone needs to be rooted and some say that is not the case.

When I connect the phone via USB and disk mode, I can easily locate the SD card, as it shows up as a new removable drive.

However, I can't locate the internal storage of the phone. Shouldn't this show up as a separate drive as well?

I'm trying to move all the Rockband music & Sounds off the SD card (i'm assuming it was put it on there when I installed Rockband) and place it onto the internal storage. I wanted to keep the SD card for my music only. The rockband sounds and music are showing up in the music players (stock, Winamp) as artists, songs, etc.

Thanks in advance.

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Try USB Debugging.
Setting--> Applications--> Development--> USB debugging.
Not sure if this will do it back it could help.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Internal storage reads 2.37GB free. I thought we had 8GB?

Also, does it have 768 or 512 megs of RAM?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Fenwayfan77

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Try USB Debugging.
Setting--> Applications--> Development--> USB debugging.
Not sure if this will do it back it could help.

Tried it with debugging set on and off. No luck.

I have Vista-64. I wonder if that is an issue. I'm still not sure if i'm even supposed to be able to access it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
This is kind of a loaded post. Let me clarify a few things for you before answering your question:

The internal memory is meant for the OS and the bare minimum required by apps (apk/odex files).

The sdcard is meant for your files as well as any media that apps may need. Internal memory is too limited in size and potentially volatile (if you will be constantly changing it with ROM flashes) to store large and static things like game music, subway maps, and other such things.

You don't want to move the Rock Band music to the internal memory - chances are that the game is going to only redownload those files back onto your sdcard anyway. If you don't even want the game you can delete these files and then root and delete the app itself.

As for your question - I haven't used an Android device where the internal memory has been transparently available to me via a USB Mass Storage drive so I have no idea what those "people on the internet" are talking about. If you want to access those files, you need to download the Root Explorer app on your phone (costs $$ and requires root) or adb shell and explore the phone's internal memory via Linux commands.

*EDIT* I noticed you are an iPhone user. IIRC a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch hides its critical OS files from the lay user who is accessing its flash memory as a USB Mass Storage drive. Android internal memory achieves this same purpose - you are only supposed to see the sdcard via My Computer.

After reading on the internet, I gather that it is possible to access the internal storage of android devices. Some people commented that the phone needs to be rooted and some say that is not the case.

When I connect the phone via USB and disk mode, I can easily locate the SD card, as it shows up as a new removable drive.

However, I can't locate the internal storage of the phone. Shouldn't this show up as a separate drive as well?

I'm trying to move all the Rockband music & Sounds off the SD card (i'm assuming it was put it on there when I installed Rockband) and place it onto the internal storage. I wanted to keep the SD card for my music only. The rockband sounds and music are showing up in the music players (stock, Winamp) as artists, songs, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenwayfan77