How the heck do I avoid cropping wallpapers?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
All you need to do is resize your wallpapers to 969x854 and it will fit the screen. When your phone is cropping the pictures it is adjusting the size to fit the screen.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's obnoxious.... but rather an awesome feature that comes with Andoid.

Look at it like this •>> A feature that recognizes that the wallpaper is too large for the screen, and gives an option to (crop and format) the image to fit your screen. OMG! How cool is that. I'm very much appreciative for this feature. :)

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's obnoxious.... but rather an awesome feature that comes with Andoid.

Look at it like this ?>> A feature that recognizes that the wallpaper is too large for the screen, and gives an option to (crop and format) the image to fit your screen. OMG! How cool is that. I'm very much appreciative for this feature. :)

Why on earth is that a feature? Give an option of auto-resizing or cropping. I just want to fit it to my screen, and if it doesn't fit exactly, give me a black border I won't notice.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth is that a feature? Give an option of auto-resizing or cropping. I just want to fit it to my screen, and if it doesn't fit exactly, give me a black border I won't notice.
Well, I guess we just can't have everything our way. :)

mischiefse7en

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Look at it like this ?>> A feature that recognizes that the wallpaper is too large for the screen, and gives an option to (crop and format) the image to fit your screen. OMG! How cool is that. I'm very much appreciative for this feature. :)

i think its a crappy feature thats only on HTC phones. On my Moto phones you could use the whole picture OR crop it, not ONLY crop it

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
On my OG Droid I could only use the whole picture if it was sized to fit the screen otherwise I had to crop the photo to fit. If it wasn't the correct size and didn't need to be cropped wouldn't it have a black bar covering the missing portion of the picture?

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
All you need to do is resize your wallpapers to 969x854 and it will fit the screen. When your phone is cropping the pictures it is adjusting the size to fit the screen.

Wrong res :p

960x800 images can avoid being cropped since that is the res used for the Thunderbolt's wallpapers.

Conversely you can also make a single-image LiveWallpaper that does not animate, but I suspect that still eats some extra resources that it should not.

neophile

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have my background set so it doesn't scroll, I want to be able to use my wallpapers in the same way. I had them cropped to fit the screen in this position before loading on my captivate, yet it only gives me the option to crop it for the 960x800 format.
I read several other posts on this, tried the recommended wall paper set and save app, either this doesn't do what I'm wanting, or I am not using it correctly, because it's still not working.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you want MINIMUM CROP, you need ONLY do ONE THING.

1) Ensure that your prospective background picture is in HORIZONTAL orientation and that is has an ASPECT RATIO of 1.124:1.

What this means...

Let's take an example of 900x800. First, make sure it is HORIZONTAL orientation. Second, do the math (i.e. 800/600=1.33). Notice this is not 1.24. Now, let's try 800x645... equals: 1.24! Yay! That's it!

If you want higher resolution, use a pic with higher resolution. But ALWAYS make sure it is HORIZONTAL orientation and the ASPECT RATIO is 1.24:1.

Here's a higher resolution background...

960x854 (equals an aspect ratio of 1.24:1 - Bingo!).

That's it.

Notes: Why do they require horizontal orientation? Because they have to cover 7 home screens, left to right. Also, if a primary subject or text is included (rather than simply an artful design) it is good to have it centered and somewhat smaller than the whole frame, so that on your other screens it does not get cut-off too bad.

-Frank

Last edited: