I thought Thunderbolt had 8 GB Internal Storage

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When I check my storage, it says I have 2.4 gb free. Also when I downloaded app to check my total storate it says 2.61 gb. Where the hack is remaining 5.4 GB?

Also in the running processes i don't see total of 768 MB of ram, where the hack is remaining RAM?

btw, SD storage is fine. it shows 29.xx GB Free.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
When I check my storage, it says I have 2.4 gb free. Also when I downloaded app to check my total storate it says 2.61 gb. Where the hack is remaining 5.4 GB?

Also in the running processes i don't see total of 768 MB of ram, where the hack is remaining RAM?

btw, SD storage is fine. it shows 29.xx GB Free.

The system files has taken up 5.4GB of internal memory space, thus 2.4GB is the free space available, which should be enough for our purposes. Besides we can move most of the apps to the removable sdCard.

Reactions: Edwill86

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The system files has taken up 5.4GB of internal memory space, thus 2.4GB is the free space available, which should be enough for our purposes. Besides we can move most of the apps to the removable sdCard.

What? Evo has only 512 mb of storage, how the hack they survive?
I bet there is something wrong here. Either they lied and didn't give us full 8 GB or something wrong with the software.

Scoobaru

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
What don't you understand. They didn't say you get 8 gigs of internal storage. You only have the 2.4 open but still have the 32 gigs on the SD card.

fatrob

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This guy obviously doesnt get it Prakash......i think he needs to do a little research on what RAM is and what Internal MEMORY (total) is compared to available.

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This guy obviously doesnt get it Prakash......i think he needs to do a little research on what RAM is and what Internal MEMORY (total) is compared to available.

I know what is RAM and file system is. What you don't understand is how can internal system can take 5.4 gb of space. That is not possible.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I think I read VZnav uses a lot of space, all the north american maps are in the storage instead of it pulling from the data plan, plus all the other apps that are being shoved down our throat with no way to remove them (without rooting)

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I know what is RAM and file system is. What you don't understand is how can internal system can take 5.4 gb of space. That is not possible.

HTC Sense 2.0 takes up a lot of space, android OS 2.2 takes up A lot of space, all of the pre-installed wallpapers widgets apps from htc and VZW take up A LOT of space. ends up being 5.4 gigs when all is said and done.

root your device when its available and remove all the bloat-ware and you could shave off a gig or 3...maybe

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Really, it's just the same as the way they advertise a PC. You'll see the ad state 350MB Hard Drive (storage space) but when you look at in Explorer you'll see 40GB used and 310 remaining. Just a matter of how they spec it. This has become so routine now that you don't see PCs advertising 310GB of "user available" storage. It's just "storage". Smartphones have followed suit, for better or worse.

One good thing... it is actually enough. And the fact that a 32GB storage SD card was included is great too. Although, you'll notice that only displays ~29GB :D

Just a matter of understanding the specs. I'm not saying I like it, but virtually all ads that reference "bits/bytes" use these specs to their advantage, if you know what I mean :)

-Frank

allen

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Problem is if you go to a termial and run df only 2.7gb show allocated so there is 5.3 either assigned in a way that's hidden or more realistically not assigned at all

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That is correct. When you format the file system it uses some space usually less then 10%. So when you have 32 GB sd card, you only get 29.xx GB, which make sense.

So when they say 8 GB, I expect something like 7.xx. But What I and everyone else sees here is around 2.xx, There is no way in hell any software of Android can take 5 GB of space.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That is correct. When you format the file system it uses some space usually less then 10%. So when you have 32 GB sd card, you only get 29.xx GB, which make sense.

So when they say 8 GB, I expect something like 7.xx. But What I and everyone else sees here is around 2.xx, There is no way in hell any software of Android can take 5 GB of space.

this is like talking to a wall.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It sucks anyway. I was able to see the total internal storage in my incredible, like 7 and available like 6. Now the thunderbolt shows only available and it is only 2.5 gb. :(

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright Guys I called Verizon Wireless Technical Support:

They told me they are aware of this issue and are working on this issue. He said they have internal ticket open to fix this. He also told me that it's software issue reporting the memory and he expect 8gb of memory.

I had them put in on my account that I called about this issue. If they don't fix it, they are going to have to upgrade me with the next phone that does have 8 gb memory.

So Call Verizon Tech Support.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to get it personal, but you are so dumb, call verizon tech support.

I dont want to be sarcastic, but you're a very Nice person!

VZW techs dont know jack. I had 5 techs tell me to call *228 to activate my Thunderbolt after a vzw tech had screwed up trying to fix the the first activation problems.

Last edited:

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Their should be legal ramifications for Verizon because of this.

They advertised 8gb of internal storage but then fill it up with useless garbage that you cannot delete.

I smell lawsuit.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Their should be legal ramifications for Verizon because of this.

They advertised 8gb of internal storage but then fill it up with useless garbage that you cannot delete.

I smell lawsuit.

I agree its not right. they should have advertised it as 2 gigs with a 32 gig sd.

thats what I understand they have done with the Incredible S. It has 1 gig internal but only 1gig open for use +8gig sd. they have actually been advertising it in Europe as having 1gig internal though. bad vzw!

I dont know about a lawsuit though. tech it still has 8 gigs internal.. just not open for you to put any data on. :/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol