Verdict: using blackberry pwr charger

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've seen post that say you should only use HTC's charger. Than I've seen post that say all chargers are universal now a days. So can I use the blackberry ad charger with the thunderbolt. I would like to use that while I'm at work and the HTC one while I'm home for overnight charging

OFace

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I tried using one of my generic ones that I used to use on my old phone, and whenever I plug it into my TBolt, the touchscreen does not work. I took it out, plugged in the HTC charger and everything was working. I thought it was kind of weird. Needless to say, I won't be using that charger again.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok seems like others are using it as well. I just want to make sure burning out the phone or battery would result from using a different charger. I've used the blackberry charger at the wife's house and it worked with no problems. Just dont know about the long term effects.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've used my Blackberry car charger and usb wall charger both are working fine. I did read a post this morn that warned against this but since the clerk at VZW told me I could use my BB charger w/o a problem I'm at this point trusting this and it will be VZW's fault if something goes wrong and I have to hit up my insurance to replace my Bolt. I was told not so long ago by another VZW clerk that all the newer chargers are universal.

I *think* I remember there was even a law passed on it and all the companies had to be compliant by X date. Not only was it ridiculous to have to buy new chargers every time you got a new phone, all these freaking chargers have to go somewhere and so it's causing an environmental problem because people aren't disposing of them properly (don't have a clue what properly for this kind of hardware would be though).

Mustang7303

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The only compliance required is is that manufactures use the micro-usb plug/receptacle on their devices for greater compatibility. There can be however difference in the power fed by these power adapters.

The HTC charger that came with the Thunderbolt is an A/C to D/C converter that outputs 5V (volts) at 1000mAh (milli-amp/hour). 1000mAh is also expressed as 1Ah (amp/hour) as is takes 1000 milli-amps to make 1 amp.

What is boils down to is understand what will cause harm or will cause insufficient performance.
--- Do not use an adapter rated for more than 5V as it could cause harm and using an adapter rated for less than 5V may not provide a full charge.
--- Using an adapter rated for less than 1Ah will work, but may not charge the phone very quickly and if too low it wont provide enough current to offset power draw leading to continued (but slowed) battery drain.
--- Using an adapter with too much current, say greater than 1.2Ah will cause additional excess heat and could damage hardware over the long term.

Any micro-usb charger will work. As long as it is rated for 5V and is between 800mAh and 1200mAh. Most cellphone charges, especially for recent smart phones, will be with in those specs.

Tortan

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have only used my BB charger. ( that is what was already plugged in.) I have had no problems. I use the HTC usb at work tethered to my computer to "bump" charge throughout the day. I don't know what they build these schools out of, but 3G or 4G isn't making it through the walls anywhere in the building!

skinnhc

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Any charger will work BUT perhaps not to HTC "standards".. Used my Moto X charger on the TB and screen became "laggy"...:confused:
Plugged in the HTC branded one with no issues.

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I used the Kindle charged last night and am using the Logitech (wireless mouse) charger now. It seems to be working.

I have actually only used my kindle charger to charge this phone. I have one at the house and one at the office and it works just great for me. I probably wont use an HTC charger untill they come out with the docking station and I then use the charger we got with the phone to plug that in.

itstheAtomBomb

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I used a BB charger with my Bolt and I took forever to charge. I am now going to be throwing that charger into my car just in case I need to use it in an emergency. (granted it was only a 500mA charger) Now I need to look around all of my other BB chargers and see if and are rated higher to work better with this beast.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The below information gets somewhat technical, so here's the quick summary: If the charger (which is actually just a simple power adapter) is not a piece of junk, the phone will not be damaged by it.

First of all, the charging is controlled by the phone and circuitry inside the battery to ensure safe operation. Lithium Ion batteries can become very dangerous if not charged properly.

The thing you plug into the wall is just a power adapter that turns AC into 5V DC and puts it over a USB interface. It has little to no intelligence, other than possibly some safety features and circuitry to decrease power consumption.

If you hear of a micro USB "charger" frying the phone, then it was putting out the wrong voltage. This is most likely to happen with the cheap $5 unbranded "chargers", such as some found online.

If you have a power adapter that came with any other phone, or a reputable retailer that wasn't extremely cheap, it should be high quality and will be very unlikely to fry the phone unless it has been damaged or is simply defective.

If the voltage from the power adapter is wrong (too low or too high): This can potentially damage the phone and/or battery

Regarding the current (mA) rating:
  • Too low - phone will charge slowly or not at all
  • Too high - phone should only draw what it needs. No damage will occur if everything is designed properly. Charging current decreases as the battery charge level increases, so no power adapter runs for its specified maximum current levels for the entire duration of the charging process.

As stated earlier, the OEM adapter is rated at 1,000mA (1A) 5VDC. The spec for USB is 5V, and the standard current is 500mA. If you plug your phone into your computer to charge, it is most likely getting no more than 500mA. That's why it charges slowly from a PC.

Reactions: pat3332

Bolt_of_Thunder

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
As stated earlier, the OEM adapter is rated at 1,000mA (1A) 5VDC. The spec for USB is 5V, and the standard current is 500mA. If you plug your phone into your computer to charge, it is most likely getting no more than 500mA. That's why it charges slowly from a PC.

Am I correct in saying that charging a phone using a car charger is similar to charging the phone through a computer? Both put out lower than normal mAh and therefore the phone charges more slowly.

itstheAtomBomb

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I correct in saying that charging a phone using a car charger is similar to charging the phone through a computer? Both put out lower than normal mAh and therefore the phone charges more slowly.

I think that depends on the car charger. Mine puts out about 1300mAh and charges the phone faster than it would if I was plugged into the house. I prefer the higher mAh car chargers anyways because when my battery dies in the car I need a decent charge more rapidly then I would if I am say, at home or at the office with my A/C wall charger handy.