Hi,

First time using Android and so far I love it. I'm really excited about the ability to do voice-to-text commands thanks to the Google Voice tool. However, I cannot get it to find my Contacts.

For example, I say "Send Text to Frank What's up?" but it puts "To Frank what's up" in the body and does not find a Contact. Similarly, if I say "Call Frank" it does a Google search for Call Frank and lists options, but does not find Frank from my Contacts.

I'm wondering if this only looks up Gmail contacts and not the phone contacts? If that's the case, is there a good way to export some or all of the phone contacts directly into Gmail?

Thanks for any tips.
    03-22-2011 01:13 PM
    Try "Send Text Frank What's up?"
    03-22-2011 01:18 PM
    i've never had luck with Google voice commands---i've better luck with Vlingo. it can do any number of the things GoogleVoiceCommands can do--and some of them better.

but try this
    1) pause between Frank & your message
    2) state, "send text to Frank (pause) message Hey Frank

mine has always been hit & miss----but like i said, Vlingo has a lot more integration and uses than GoogleVoice as of now. give it a look--and ask it questions. it'll look up the answer & respond (what's the meaning of life? how tall is the statue of liberty)
    03-22-2011 01:19 PM
    Try "Send Text Frank What's up?"
    Thanks but I've tried that as well. Even just "Send Text Frank" will put "Frank" in the Message body instead of the To field. If I click the To field however and select the microphone icon to enter a name, I can say "Frank" and it finds the contact without any issue.
    03-22-2011 02:11 PM
    I get the exact same results as you. It gets all the words right, but the 'to <contact>' part ends up in the message body and not the 'to:' field. I tried pauses, not saying 'to', etc. Same result every time. Someone has to know the trick to this. I watched the demo video again and said it exactly the same, and it nails the actual words but they go in the wrong places.
    03-22-2011 05:55 PM
    I hope someone can chime in and explain what the issue is here... this is one of the best features for me personally.
    03-23-2011 06:55 PM
    Do not say send. Just say text and the persons name. Followed by message, and then your message. Example:

Text Trey Message Test

Sent From Parts Unknown
    03-23-2011 06:58 PM
    tried that didn't work for me
    03-23-2011 07:04 PM
    Worked for me buddy. Sorry.

All else I can say is talk slower and enunciate every syllable. =/

Sent From Parts Unknown
    03-23-2011 07:09 PM
    The problem is not that it isn't getting the command. If you say "Send Text..." it opens up the Text message window. Similarly, if you say "Map of San Francisco" it opens the map without a problem. It's just that when you try to command a text or call, it won't pick up the Contact. It puts the Contact in the body of a Text message instead -- so it hears the name fine, but it won't look in your phone's contact lists for it.

My only thought is that it does not look in your phone's contact list, but rather looks in your Gmail contact list?
    03-23-2011 07:11 PM
    Like I said, works here. Do you have your contacts saved in your phone or are they in sync with Google. All my contacts are in sync with Google. But even if yours are saved on the phone it should work.

Sent From Parts Unknown
    03-23-2011 07:16 PM
    My contacts are not in Sync with Google... I created them on my last phone, had them transferred to this one. I did set up Syncing with Gmail, but apparently it does not sync back to Gmail, or something isn't working, because I don't see any of my phone contacts in GMail.
    03-23-2011 08:59 PM
    This happened to my brothers bolt, it was because he wasnt saying the name the same as his contact. If you have him in your phone as "Frank Doe" and say text Frank it wont find the contact and put it in the message. If you say "Send Text to Frank Doe: Message" it should work.
    03-23-2011 09:06 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion ISUVetMed, but unfortunately that isn't the problem here.
    03-23-2011 11:52 PM
    Well, a factory reset has corrected the issue it seems. I was troubleshooting another issue, whether Syncing contacts was not working (see http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...-synching.html) so decided to do a factory reset and not enable Backup Assistant this time around. I am not sure if Backup Assistant has anything to do with it, but nonetheless, when I say "Send Text to Frank" it now puts Frank's name in the To field where it should be.
    03-24-2011 04:42 AM
    The problem is not that it isn't getting the command. If you say "Send Text..." it opens up the Text message window. Similarly, if you say "Map of San Francisco" it opens the map without a problem. It's just that when you try to command a text or call, it won't pick up the Contact. It puts the Contact in the body of a Text message instead -- so it hears the name fine, but it won't look in your phone's contact lists for it.

My only thought is that it does not look in your phone's contact list, but rather looks in your Gmail contact list?
    Try going into settings>search>searchable items. And make sure the people check box is selected. I just tried this and it worked perfectly for me.

I said "send text to john smith <pause> how is your day going"

Hope that helps :-)

-kesnik
    Rem likes this.
    03-24-2011 06:27 AM