"Disk Drive" option gone

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Searched for a while, but I haven't found a post with this issue. I have had successfully connected my t-bolt to my PC several times by selecting the "disk drive" option that comes up after plugging in the USB cable.

However, after installing the VZW drivers and the VZ Media Sync apps, the options that come up after connecting the USB cable have changed and I no longer have a "Disk Drive" option anymore. It is showing Charge Only, HTC Sync (which is still downloading from HTC), Internet Connection Mode, Media Sync and Internet pass-through.

Even if I connect the phone to another PC that doesn't have any of that software installed, I get the same "new" options.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the "disk drive" option back?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
That is a very good question :)

First go into settings and then connect to PC>default connection type. When in there do you have the option of disk drive?

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
First go into settings and then connect to PC>default connection type. When in there do you have the option of disk drive?

Nope. I had looked in Settings -> Connect to PC -> Default Connection Type and the only options in there now are Charge Only, HTC Sync (which is still downloading from HTC), Internet Connection Mode, Media Sync and Internet pass-through.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try hitting menu>options>applications>manage application>connect to PC> and does it give you the option to on the bottom to clear defaults? If it does try that and see if it brings back disk drive. If not you could try in the same screen hitting clear data.

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Try hitting menu>options>applications>manage application>connect to PC> and does it give you the option to on the bottom to clear defaults? If it does try that and see if it brings back disk drive. If not you could try in the same screen hitting clear data.

No, that button is grayed out.

Edit: And just tried the clear data button with no change. Going to try a battery pull now that I have done the clear data to see if that helps.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You may need to check in manage applications and see if downloading those drivers added an app which is blocking the disk drive from being activated and remove that program.

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the second battery pull and/or in combination with hitting the "Clear Data" button seems to have done the trick. The Disk Drive option has returned! (Thank goodness... I hate using those media manager apps as an only option.)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree and glad to hear you have everything working again.

By the way welcome to Android Central its a wonderful place to learn tips and trick.

dexterrivera

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue where I no longer see Disk Drive as an option but Connect to PC is not listed in the managed applications list so dont know what to do now. I have a Sprint HTC EVO 4G running Android 2.3.5. Hopefully can help me. Thanks.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, what has been happening to me is that the cable and USB connection on my PC at work can be the issue. Sometimes I get the auto popup on my phone as to which one to pick....Charge only or PC. If I pick PC...it might take a minute to recognize it. I personally think that it is my PC.

Also, my USB port on my phone is loose..I am praying that it will last me until December because I don't want to get a refurb phone for 8 months.