Transferring MP3's to Thunderbolt

NikoB

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I need help trying to transfer my MP3's to my Thunderbolt. I have searched the internet and can't figure it out. All my music is currently in my Windows Media Player. When I connect the phone I first tried selecting Media Sync since that's what I was trying to do and WMP recognized my phone and allowed me to sync but instead of transferring my files as MP3's it changed them to WMA's which won't let me make a ringtone and I think that takes up more space on my SD card anyway. I tried checking all my files to be sure I had only mp3's. I clicked on a song and checked its properties and it shows as a mp3. I'm very frustrated. In my internet searches I found something telling me to connect the phone as a disk drive, add a folder to the drive (which it wont allow me to do..can't even figure out where I would be able to do that). When I right click the drive it doesn't give me any options like that. It can't be this hard..please help.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you connect the phone as a disk drive you should see Windows Explorer open, or another window asking what you want to do with the new thing Windows found. Choose open in explorer window and you'll see the SD card contents. Add a new folder named music and, like Kronko said, copy whatever music folders you wish from Media Player. Be advised that could take awhile.

Reactions: GoldLeader

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
New to Android as well. I can only access the sd card with the phone in media sync mode. From there, I just drag my mp3's to the music folder on my phone. On a side note, I find the native music player very unintuitive. I'm looking at PowerAmp as a replacement.

Also, there is no native file manager on the Tbolt. Download Astro.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you go into settings and chose connect to pc you.can change.how your phone connects to the computer. The best way is to change it to disk drive, that way you can drag and drop files as they are.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: GoldLeader

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you pull out the SD Card from the back and insert it directly into your computer so you just make the folders like that? And drag and drop as opposed to syncing the phone on your comp? And no matter what you need to get this astro to get to your music folder to play songs?

Melanoleuca

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I did what you guys are saying (set to disk drive) but when I drop the files, it claims there is not enough memory space. Says there's only 5.81 MB available in the img folder and the drv folder. These are the only two file folders on the phone. My phone is right out of the box with near nothing on it. I am new to Android so my knowledge of this stuff is quite limited. All help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

xrated

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If it says that there is not enough room, it sounds like you are trying to put the MP3's in the internal phone storage area instead of the SD card. Your SD card should show you about 30 Gigs of available space if it is new.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but how do I access the SD card when downloading from my computer?

Just go to your computer and you will see a new drive that is like 29 gb (after selecting hard drive in your cell). Create a folder called Music or whatever you want to call it and then add your music there (I create another folder inside this one with the album title and name of artist).

NikoB

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all who tried to help but the disk drive thing just didn't work. I couldn't figure it out. But after hours and hours what I finally did was go back to the trusty Napster app and signed out, just out of curiosity to see if it would recognize my phone as a compatible device. IT DID. Even though it's not on the compatible devise list it recognized my TB..and let me put all my purchased music on the SD card as an MP3. I then imported even more music from my laptops hard drive and was able to transfer all that as well. So anyone having trouble doing this, just download napster. I used napster lite...meaning I don't pay for the on the go part and I can buy and transfer all the music I already own. So after a long night of this I'm headed to bed..and thanks again guys.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all who tried to help but the disk drive thing just didn't work. I couldn't figure it out. But after hours and hours what I finally did was go back to the trusty Napster app and signed out, just out of curiosity to see if it would recognize my phone as a compatible device. IT DID. Even though it's not on the compatible devise list it recognized my TB..and let me put all my purchased music on the SD card as an MP3. I then imported even more music from my laptops hard drive and was able to transfer all that as well. So anyone having trouble doing this, just download napster. I used napster lite...meaning I don't pay for the on the go part and I can buy and transfer all the music I already own. So after a long night of this I'm headed to bed..and thanks again guys.

Also, take a look at Double Twist: doubleTwist The app in the market is free and the program that runs on your PC is also free. They have an "air synch" program that will allow you to synch your music, video's and photos over you but that's not free.

Double Twist will synch all your iTunes music as well easily to your phone and the Double Twist app on android is really nice.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I did what you guys are saying (set to disk drive) but when I drop the files, it claims there is not enough memory space. Says there's only 5.81 MB available in the img folder and the drv folder. These are the only two file folders on the phone. My phone is right out of the box with near nothing on it. I am new to Android so my knowledge of this stuff is quite limited. All help is greatly appreciated.
When I connect my phone to a Windows XP laptop, I noticed that 2 devices are listed.
Only one of these two is the SD card though.

In My Computer under Devices with Removable Storage, I found devices named Verizon Mobile, and Removable Disk were added.
Verizon Mobile device is NOT the one to use to copy sound, pictures, or video.
Open the Removable Disk device in the My Computer folder instead.
(The drive seems to take a little time before you can open it after connecting the phone.)
On this device, create a music folder, and copy your music into that folder.
(I made a folder called My Music.)

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, take a look at Double Twist: doubleTwist The app in the market is free and the program that runs on your PC is also free. They have an "air synch" program that will allow you to synch your music, video's and photos over you but that's not free.

Double Twist will synch all your iTunes music as well easily to your phone and the Double Twist app on android is really nice.

Yep...
If you've used <shudder> iTunes, doubletwist is a natural fit.
You can copy/paste as said...but plugging in and syncing is much easier.
If you forgot to copy/paste something, dt won't.

And it'll allow you to sync all your iTunes media as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae