Problem with audio when recording video

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
In my experience with recording video, and with some testing I've done, it seems like the microphone doesn't switch over to "speakerphone" mode, and only picks up audio very close to the microphone pickup at the bottom of the phone. So, if you're trying to record people in a room, something outside, the noise cancellation won't kick over to "speakerphone" mode, and will cancel all of that out, and will only pick up audio directed right into the microphone.

Is this a software bug with either Android or HTC's / Sense's camera? Anyone else experience this? Phone calls and speakerphone seems to work fine, but I noticed this this weekend when trying to record video outside.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you play the video in your thunderbolt, you will need to select SRS to have a better audio. Once you transfer the video to your computer, the sound is ok.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
If you play the video in your thunderbolt, you will need to select SRS to have a better audio. Once you transfer the video to your computer, the sound is ok.

I've transferred it to my pc and it's still quite terrible. It's as if the sound is muted. The audio recording levels are extremely low -- it's not the playback.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've transferred it to my pc and it's still quite terrible. It's as if the sound is muted. The audio recording levels are extremely low -- it's not the playback.

I agree the audio playback quality is very poor you can hardly hear it. My EVO was fine so im not sure whats going on here.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree the audio playback quality is very poor you can hardly hear it. My EVO was fine so im not sure whats going on here.

I did some testing, and if you put the sound directly up to the microphone, it comes through loud and clear. But if it's anywhere else in the room not directly in audio-path of the mic pickup, it's as if it's being actively noise cancelled. Makes me think software glitch.

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here. This may be a deal breaker for me. I may take it back for this issue alone.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this issue. I would think a software fix could address this, because the phone works great in speakerphone mode, and can pick up audio far away from the phone, but when recording video, it doesn't behave that way.

If I can't find a fix for this, it will be going back.

barnebyjones

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but I was trying to record my guitar amp to test the sound quality and it was laying face down on my bed recording and it was extremely muffled sounding when I listened to it in my car using the headphones jack. I realize this isn't the best way to position the phone, but where is the Mic exactly and where do you guys think I should put the phone to record?

TBDreamer

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Finished talking with a Verizon tech support rep a while ago, said they couldn't find anything about this problem in their systems, asked the general questions of "did you turn the sound all the way up, recording with sound, etc", then told me the best solution would be to go into the store and have a tech guy there try to fix it and if not, they would replace my unit.

CrotchBat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it on mine and it was painfully low as well. Sounds like this is a software issue.

I'm sure they're compiling and fixing a list of bugs with this phone and we'll get an update sometime.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton