Unlimited 4g ending Thursday?

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I remember there being a rumor about it ending shortly after launch, but I thought that only pertained to the non-contract data pricing.

bweston1#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I was told as long as you have an unlimited data plan now, you will be grandfathered in no matter what happens. Of course you could always change your plan if you wanted but the unlimited option will be there for you.

easyrun99

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Not doubting this will happen, but I'm guessing this will come and go as VZW prioritizes which phones it wants to move.

Remember they had tiered 3G until the iPhone 4 came out and amazingly there is no $15 plan right now...

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I already reported this yesterday in another thread that has long since disappeared into a different page.

I suspect its going to be grandfathered for those who already have it and will stay in place until they upgrade to another phone. I think it will be applied to news customers or to current customers who upgrade.

R

bweston1#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I think they are beginning to realize that they are losing money with their unlimited plans especially since these new phones are so much more reliant on data. Coming from a BlackBerry, the amount of data the Thunderbolt uses is much higher than anything I have ever seen. I think that these tiered plans are going to be the way of the future for carriers and I am not going to like it.

Regardless, I'm locked in for another two years with unlimited so I'm a happy camper.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just read this over at XDA... Not sure of the validity or not, but if it is, I need to do some convinceing to get my upgrade date moved. I am upgrade on April 16 but want to get locked in on the unlimited 4g/

Anyone here heard anything about when unlimited will end?

Unlimited 4G ending on Thursday - xda-developers

Makes no sense for Big Red to go EZ Pass on their 4G network at this point when they are expecting to roll it out to almost 150 cities during the next year. I would be given their investment in it they want to draw as many people in as possible and then change the payment structure.

they know how many customers they need to support the investment and i would bet they are way short of that $ currently and will be for at least a year or two.

If they change it now,,, they will slow down customer usage and encourage other customers to go to a single pay system. it would also encourage other carries to use a single pay structure to gain customers...

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was told as long as you have an unlimited data plan now, you will be grandfathered in no matter what happens. Of course you could always change your plan if you wanted but the unlimited option will be there for you.

I was told the same thing, grandfathered *for the duration of your contract.*

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I was told the same thing, grandfathered *for the duration of your contract.*

Technically the "duration" is as long as you want it to be. In other words, you can sign a 1yr contract and you'll still be getting whatever terms you had on the 13th month. In order for them to change the terms you have to agree to purchase a new phone under contract or they have to force it. If they force it, you can cancel without penalty.

I've never seen them change the terms of your contract after the 1 or 2 yr period expired. Everyone here will be grandfathered in and keep their contract so as long as they don't sign a new one to get another phone.

EvolutionGSR

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
And then all u would have to do is keep paying for extended warranty, and then when ur phone craps out keep getting it replace until here are no more available. Free upgrade!

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If they force it, you can cancel without penalty.

only if it has a "materially adverse effect" which for most people it won't if they set the $29.99 tier between 2 and 5GB. There's no way they'll touch existing contracts with data features though because they don't want to be known as the first one to do so.

As for when tiered will get here. It was initially said in early March that it would be mid-summer but in the same sentence it was mentioned that “then that will give you a flavor of our tiered-pricing structure going forward” referring to the upcoming Thunderbolt launch. No one knows exactly what that means though. Will there be a $29.99 unlimited plan? No one knows.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
only if it has a "materially adverse effect" which for most people it won't if they set the $29.99 tier between 2 and 5GB. There's no way they'll touch existing contracts with data features though because they don't want to be known as the first one to do so.

As for when tiered will get here. It was initially said in early March that it would be mid-summer but in the same sentence it was mentioned that ?then that will give you a flavor of our tiered-pricing structure going forward? referring to the upcoming Thunderbolt launch. No one knows exactly what that means though. Will there be a $29.99 unlimited plan? No one knows.

Been over this before and I thought you agreed it is extremely unlikely. Regardless, they have the provision, but I doubt they force any contract changes.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
The rep I talked to about this stated that those who sign up now and have unlimited will be grandfathered into LTE unlimited.

Can you imagine the stink VZW customers would through if they were not. ATT did this when they changed over.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think they are beginning to realize that they are losing money with their unlimited plans especially since these new phones are so much more reliant on data. Coming from a BlackBerry, the amount of data the Thunderbolt uses is much higher than anything I have ever seen. I think that these tiered plans are going to be the way of the future for carriers and I am not going to like it.

Regardless, I'm locked in for another two years with unlimited so I'm a happy camper.

Actually that's probably incorrect. When I track my data usage, I'm not even close to eclipsing 5GB of data. In which case, I would opt for the 25 dollar 3GB plan (or whatever the cheapest plan with significant data allowance is)...so they technically would be losing money by going to tiered. From what I've read, it's only the top 5% of data users that would be affected by Tiered data...the rest of us would actually be saving money.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Nothing further about LTE tiering over on the previously mentioned XDA thread. Perhaps it's still too soon for VZW to gauge normal LTE use after only one week. More likly we'll see it by the time the Bionic is released?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Been over this before and I thought you agreed it is extremely unlikely. Regardless, they have the provision, but I doubt they force any contract changes.

I said it was unlikely at the end of the part you quoted. Was just saying that them changing something isn't an instant out.

The rep I talked to about this stated that those who sign up now and have unlimited will be grandfathered into LTE unlimited.

Can you imagine the stink VZW customers would through if they were not. ATT did this when they changed over.

The reps know less than we do. Right now there's no differentiation in the unlimited plans between 3G smartphones and LTE phones like the Bolt. Both use "Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)" so unless there's a different feature code in Verizon's system we don't know how it's going to work out.

Stevez48

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I bit the bullet and early upgraded to get locked in just in case. $199 aint too bad, and if anything comes up better...Well, craigs list and swapa sound like good options :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae