Cell radio weaker than most phones?

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So I love my phone but I have gone to a few of the places I know usually give me a small issue like certain elevators and basements and such and the T-bolt is awful in these areas compared to any other phone I have owned before. In one elevator I have always gone from full 3g to 1 or 0 bars but never really lost it on any phone however with my t-bolt it went straight to 0 bars of voice and not even 1x. It then took a good 20 second to go back to 3g after it switched to 1x :(. This is compared to a storm, droid 1, and blackberry bold which all held fine and never lost 3g. Anyone else notice the bolt have slightly weaker signal or worse than old devices in the same areas?

zshazz

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it does have a bit worse radio. I also believe they will probably improve it when they update it. It does seem to have some difficulty locking on to new towers. It's really bad for me when I switch airplane mode on/off. I've had to wait as long as 4 minutes to regain full connection.

Also, I have to be careful how I hold the phone when I have a low signal. If you put your hand in the middle back of the phone, you'll lose 1-2 bars of signal. If you put 2 fingers around the upper left back part of the phone (near the headphone jack) you lose quite a bit of wifi signal. It's a bit annoying, but livable. At least it doesn't completely drop from the network when I hold it the wrong way >_>

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Get mobile signal widget from the market to see real signal strength. Try to compare each phone using this app. Then you will know.

But yes, Blackberry and Motorola are known to have slightly more sensitive radios, and thus, slightly better reception.

SHO95#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
For me TB has worked the best so far specially at work which before was hit n miss and that's coming from a Storm, Droid and Fascinate.

emmac1

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I really don't see any difference with my TB for me the signal is the same it was when I had my storm and Droid. All three had pretty bad signal but I was still able to do just about anything I needed except when it was cloudy then I barely have 1x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay