SD card formatting?

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is any easily answered question but the manuals that came with the phone are at work...

Brand new Thunderbolt and still getting familiar. I'm getting the "blank SD card" icon in the upper left corner on the home screen and some of my applications are stating, "please insert SD card." Now short of pulling the phone apart and checking to see if the SD card that is supposed to be pre-installed, I'm wondering if I need to format the card.

Where are all my contacts stored, in the internal memory or on the card? I guess I'm afraid of wiping out data I've already transferred into the phone if I format the card. Thanks.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is any easily answered question but the manuals that came with the phone are at work...

Brand new Thunderbolt and still getting familiar. I'm getting the "blank SD card" icon in the upper left corner on the home screen and some of my applications are stating, "please insert SD card." Now short of pulling the phone apart and checking to see if the SD card that is supposed to be pre-installed, I'm wondering if I need to format the card.

Where are all my contacts stored, in the internal memory or on the card? I guess I'm afraid of wiping out data I've already transferred into the phone if I format the card. Thanks.

Is it plugged into the computer?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you just want the manual it's in a sticky above this.

Contacts are stored on the phone memory, and on Google (as long as you have that option checked and saved them as Google contacts).

What other data are you afraid of losing? If you can look at it on your phone it's on your phone and not the card since the card is obviously not being read.

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Just playing with the phone and looking at different apps. For instance, when I open the "Music" app it asks me to insert a SD card. But, when I pull down the menu of icons at the top edge of the screen it identifies the SD card as blank or having an unsupported filesystem.

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's another thing: when I try to take a picture, it won't. And when I open the photo gallery its saying an error was encountered on my SD card.

Sounds like I got a **** card...

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No I haven't. Just tried plugging it into my laptop but don't know what to do next. I installed the recommended drivers that came up but there are no prompts and I'm not too bright when it comes to knowing what I'm doing with this kind of thing.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No I haven't. Just tried plugging it into my laptop but don't know what to do next. I installed the recommended drivers that came up but there are no prompts and I'm not too bright when it comes to knowing what I'm doing with this kind of thing.

Wipe the card. Its corrupted. If you haven't put anything on it, you'll be fine.

dewwit

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It could be a bad card. I had the same problem, pulled it out, tried to read it on several different computers. Then I went to the Verizon store, they Fed Ex'd a new one to me. I got it today and it's working fine.

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It could be a bad card. I had the same problem, pulled it out, tried to read it on several different computers. Then I went to the Verizon store, they Fed Ex'd a new one to me. I got it today and it's working fine.

Well, according to what I'm hearing this problem is not uncommon.

Didn't have time to wipe/format/whatever the card last night so upon returning home from work tonight I removed the SD card from the phone and reinserted it. Then hit the "mount sd card" button and a drop down message from the top of the screen says I have a damaged card. Verizon is sending me a new card since the STORE doesn't have them or keep them in stock.

Phone works great otherwise but it completely sucks that I have no ability to store photos or music or whatever else on a 3-day's new phone...

Pac8541

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I call Verizon and they tell me, "yeah, that definitely ain't right we'll send you a new one." Took fedex 3 tries to get it to me cuz I had to sign for it and inside the box is a 16GB card. I called them back and they're now sending me a new 32gig card.

Then I get in my Jeep and drive to Autozone to fix a dead battery in another car, forgetting I left my phone on the front bumper of the Jeep. After searching back and forth over the route I took to and from, I find the phone in the middle of the driveway at Autozone, undamaged except for the holster belt clip which took the hit. Guess what?? The factory installed 32GB SD card now works perfectly.

So I guess I should have just spiked the phone into the sidewalk a week ago...

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I call Verizon and they tell me, "yeah, that definitely ain't right we'll send you a new one." Took fedex 3 tries to get it to me cuz I had to sign for it and inside the box is a 16GB card. I called them back and they're now sending me a new 32gig card.

Then I get in my Jeep and drive to Autozone to fix a dead battery in another car, forgetting I left my phone on the front bumper of the Jeep. After searching back and forth over the route I took to and from, I find the phone in the middle of the driveway at Autozone, undamaged except for the holster belt clip which took the hit. Guess what?? The factory installed 32GB SD card now works perfectly.

So I guess I should have just spiked the phone into the sidewalk a week ago...

(puts on sunglasses, hands on hips) I guess you can say, this can be a hit & miss solution,
YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
/corny joke

seriously. what are the chances of that happening? awesome

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084