03-24-2011 10:27 PM
26 12
tools
    I hate to say it but it seriously seems like every post I read is about someone's phone having a light leak, dead pixel or dust under the screen. On top of that I'm reading about gmail sync problems with the phone not pushing email.

I come from having an iPhone 4. I was excited about the thunderbolt due to the 4G advancement but I'm having a hard time justifying the switch. My phone has a dead pixel smack dab center of the screen, has gmail issues and apps keep force closing. Ive put in a request to wirefly to exchange but they have to escalate it to a manager for approval. On top of that I'm scared cause I see on here that others returning theirs only leads to more problems with their new devices. Might be best to ditch the thunderbolt and just wait for Droid bionic.
    03-24-2011 01:36 AM
    No guarantee anything else will be better.

Remember that they are still a TON of people that aren't having those issues too. Are you having any of those issues yourself?
    03-24-2011 01:49 AM
    I have a small speck of dust under the screen. It is IMPOSSIBLE to see unless you look at it in a very specific way. Its no biggie though; even though I know its there, it isn't noticeable.

I think you're just trying to find a reason to ditch the Bolt and wait for the Bionic. Of course, that's your prerogative, and I can't say I blame you, but you should keep this all in perspective.
    03-24-2011 01:52 AM
    Don't forget, if you return it and wait for the Bionic, I highly doubt you'll get $30 unlimited LTE. The Samsung Stealth comes out soon, so that's a possibility, but I haven't heard good things about Samsung and updates, and we'll have to see if Verizon will still be offering $30 unlimited. I've had no problems with my phone. I bought it from my local Verizon store specifically because if it had any problems they'll be a lot easier to take care of.
    03-24-2011 02:34 AM
    Quality? The TB is the best most high quality phone ive ever had. Aluminum body. Built like a tank. One drop and an iphone can be finished. And the Bionic is plastic. So that's a step down. Like iamlilysdad said. ALOT of people aren't having issues. And im one of them.
    irishleo likes this.
    03-24-2011 02:49 AM
    Another person with 2 posts complaining about the phone. The phone just launched, of course people are going to be concerned about the problems. Remember the awesome iphone at launch, oh wait Steve Jobs probably calmed your nerves cause you were holding the phone wrong.
    03-24-2011 03:16 AM
    Quality? The TB is the best most high quality phone ive ever had. Aluminum body. Built like a tank. One drop and an iphone can be finished. And the Bionic is plastic. So that's a step down. Like iamlilysdad said. ALOT of people aren't having issues. And im one of them.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    No real major problems here...so when you call to have your phone returned,lol, seriously your gonna say there's specs of dust under the screen?!? LMAO

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    03-24-2011 07:09 AM
    I had no idea this was going on. Where did you get the phone, a VZW store, Best Buy, or online (Non VZW site)? I think those are the only options. When I was a blackberry owner, we started asking process of elimination questions to figure out where the less quality built ones came from. It may or may not have anything to do with where you got it, but its a start. I bought mine from a VZW brick and mortar. No light leak or other build quality issues.
    03-24-2011 07:20 AM
    I hate to say it but it seriously seems like every post I read is about someone's phone having a light leak, dead pixel or dust under the screen. On top of that I'm reading about gmail sync problems with the phone not pushing email.

I come from having an iPhone 4. I was excited about the thunderbolt due to the 4G advancement but I'm having a hard time justifying the switch. My phone has a dead pixel smack dab center of the screen, has gmail issues and apps keep force closing. Ive put in a request to wirefly to exchange but they have to escalate it to a manager for approval. On top of that I'm scared cause I see on here that others returning theirs only leads to more problems with their new devices. Might be best to ditch the thunderbolt and just wait for Droid bionic.
    No problems here. You're probably only going to really read about negative aspects of the phone, since most people without problems are too busy playing with their phones...I mean working.
    03-24-2011 07:28 AM
    Exactly. The complainers complain, and the happy customers go about life. My wife and I each have Thunderbolts and they're both prefect. I am very picky, and I'm taking you these are flawless.

This is also why I buy direct from Verizon. If you have am issue they get you handled every time, quickly at the local store.
    AstroStrat89 likes this.
    03-24-2011 07:34 AM
    I had no idea this was going on. Where did you get the phone, a VZW store, Best Buy, or online (Non VZW site)? I think those are the only options. When I was a blackberry owner, we started asking process of elimination questions to figure out where the less quality built ones came from. It may or may not have anything to do with where you got it, but its a start. I bought mine from a VZW brick and mortar. No light leak or other build quality issues.
    At first I didn't think I had a light leak, but then one night I was in my bedroom when it was pitch black and I could see a very small pinpoint sized light in the same spot that everyone else has a light leak.

I bought mine at a Verizon store as well, but to me I couldn't even notice the light leak until it was literally pitch black and even then I really had to focus on it. With everyday use I don't even see it. Nothing is going to be perfect. Of course we shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but it seems like some people are just being extremely anal about things.
    03-24-2011 07:41 AM
    At first I didn't think I had a light leak, but then one night I was in my bedroom when it was pitch black and I could see a very small pinpoint sized light in the same spot that everyone else has a light leak.

I bought mine at a Verizon store as well, but to me I couldn't even notice the light leak until it was literally pitch black and even then I really had to focus on it. With everyday use I don't even see it. Nothing is going to be perfect. Of course we shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but it seems like some people are just being extremely anal about things.
    Yes! they are being anal about things...they should either take it back and get a replacement or just hold out and wait to see what HTC and Verizon send out in the updates. You know they are going to be sending out updates for this phone, HTC wouldn't let some of these problems go without fixing... P.S. I love everything about this phone, my brother has an iPhone4 from Verizon and he was trying to say his phone was better and faster, so he did some side by side tests and he was very disappointed, it made me smile!
    03-24-2011 07:57 AM
    The Tbolt is my fourth HTC phone (all bought locally) & all have been perfect hardware wise to my knowledge - and thats what counts. Ignorance is bliss after all! I've never had an issue with their battery life, buts thats just me.

Sorry that some haven't been as lucky.
    03-24-2011 08:56 AM
    I'm very satisfied with my Thunderbolt it's a very well designed and quality built device. I do have a little leak of light but can only be seen when holding the phone at an angle which it's never held at so no problem. I haven't had any issue with gmail or the screen. The battery life is just like other HTC devices and it doesn't seem much different then my Incredible.
    03-24-2011 09:27 AM
    Another person with 2 posts complaining about the phone. The phone just launched, of course people are going to be concerned about the problems. Remember the awesome iphone at launch, oh wait Steve Jobs probably calmed your nerves cause you were holding the phone wrong.
    Just because I only have two posts doesn't mean I don't have any clue about technology or a desire to have this phone work properly when I've spent 200 bucks and signed a 2 year contract. I along with many others who are experiencing the same problems want to have a quality device that doesn't cause more problems than good for the money. If I wanted to waste my money on something that didn't work right, I would still be with my ex.

I'm happy to hear that people are happy with theirs. Cool. I'm not. I've read about one situation where a guy had to go through 3 or 4 returns because there was a bad batch at his store. That isn't a headache I want to be exposed to.

I myself know technology really well. Im ok with saying I don't want dead pixels especially when buying a phone with a screen as wonderful as this. So excuse me for coming off upset.
    OME6A and KSmithInNY like this.
    03-24-2011 09:35 AM
    If I wanted to waste my money on something that didn't work right, I would still be with my ex.
    That literally made me LOL.
    03-24-2011 10:24 AM
    I also think that people are more likely to complain about something than they are to say something good.

Having said that, my phone feels like it's built like a tank. I've already accidentally dropped it a few feet and there's not even a scratch on it. My battery life is great, and I don't have any issues with any applications except for Slacker.

I've not been able to try the 4G yet but I don't expect that I'll have any issues with that provided that the network is working right.

03-24-2011 10:45 AM
    I also think that people are more likely to complain about something than they are to say something good.

Having said that, my phone feels like it's built like a tank. I've already accidentally dropped it a few feet and there's not even a scratch on it. My battery life is great, and I don't have any issues with any applications except for Slacker.

I've not been able to try the 4G yet but I don't expect that I'll have any issues with that provided that the network is working right.

I do agree that the battery life isn't an issue. Seems like each day that passes by the battery gets stronger and lasts longer.
    03-24-2011 11:11 AM

I work at Wirefly's HQ. PM me your order number and I will see what I can do to help you out with your phone. You should not be having those problems.
    03-24-2011 02:15 PM
    I guess since I don't actually know what "light leak" is, I must not have it :-)
    That said, I looovvvvee my phone, and coming from a BB (Curve, both versions) this thing is the difference between dial up and DSL. I paid retail for my TB and I'm thrilled - worth every penny (until I think of those that paid $150 for the same phone, but I digress...) ...just thought I'd share
    03-24-2011 02:49 PM
    If you're not going to buy the phone because of 2 little lights coming out of the bottom that are barely noticable, you probably weren't going to buy it in the first place.
    03-24-2011 02:53 PM
    I dont have a TB (yet!) so I dont know what light leak ya'll are talking about. I still have a Storm I and I can tell you I have enough light leak to find the bathroom in the middle of the night.

However the phone still works as good as it did when I got it. Please explain why this is such a problem. does it blind you or is it like being struck by lightning?
    03-24-2011 03:50 PM
    Over all im very happy with my phones quality. I am a bit shocked at the light leaks at the screens bottom because it was such a big issue with the Evo. If you want build quality, buy an IPhone.
    03-24-2011 04:29 PM
    I can be one of the most OCD people you'll ever meet and even I'm not bothered by the small amount of light leakage only visible if you hold the phone at a certain angle.
    03-24-2011 04:44 PM
    No problems here. You're probably only going to really read about negative aspects of the phone, since most people without problems are too busy playing with their phones...I mean working.
    ++++1 Mine works/looks/is flawless. This is my first smartphone so I can't compare it to others, but I LOVE MY THUNDERBOLT!!! I would have waited for the bionic but I was using a flip phone still and could not wait any longer! Can't believe I have been missing out on smartphones for so long....
    03-24-2011 10:11 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD