does your recorded video have sound?

does your recorded video have sound?

• Total voters

DROIDFREAK

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
So I heard back from HTC. More pointless dodging as far as I'm concerned. Did they really suggest that I download a third party application? Wtf????

Dear Nathan, Thank you for the reply. Nathan, as I stated in my 2nd reply, this information is, also, used for updates for the phone. The low sound is due to the device?s noise cancellation feature. When taking a video from a distance, the noise cancellation feature blocks out a lot of the other noise therefore making the video sound lower. Keep an eye out as there may be a future update at HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs. In the meantime, you can download a 3rd party application from the Marketplace. Search for video or camcorder recorder. Again, we apologize Nathan, for any inconvenience. To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number. Sincerely, Carol HTC

pathfin9

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just received this email back from HTC:

It is our pleasure to provide you with the best possible assistance for all questions and concerns you might have regarding your HTC Thunderbolt.

This is an issue with the noise cancellation software. We are seeing that all noise is canceled out by the phone. HTC is currently working to resolve this issue with a software update.

Workaround:

Notice that there are two microphones for the camcorder. One is for voice recognition, the one closest to the lens. The other is for other sound. The two microphones work together for noise cancellation. We have found through testing that covering up one of the microphones (pick the appropriate one depending on what type of sound you want to record) with your finger can dramatically improve the sound recording capability of the device. Again, this is a temporary work around while we work on an update.

We do apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number......

Sincerely,

Reisa

HTC

Reactions: TBoltJ

DROIDFREAK

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just received this email back from HTC:

It is our pleasure to provide you with the best possible assistance for all questions and concerns you might have regarding your HTC Thunderbolt.

This is an issue with the noise cancellation software. We are seeing that all noise is canceled out by the phone. HTC is currently working to resolve this issue with a software update.

Workaround:

Notice that there are two microphones for the camcorder. One is for voice recognition, the one closest to the lens. The other is for other sound. The two microphones work together for noise cancellation. We have found through testing that covering up one of the microphones (pick the appropriate one depending on what type of sound you want to record) with your finger can dramatically improve the sound recording capability of the device. Again, this is a temporary work around while we work on an update.

We do apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number......

Sincerely,

Reisa

HTC

I'm gonna try this workaround. Anyone else want to try it out and report back?

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I did as suggested and made 2 videos, one with the front mic blocked and the other the back. First I must point out that I had no idea there was a mic back there so beyond the actual problem I wouldn't be surprised many had their hands over it when they were holding it too. I sat on the couch and recorded a few minutes of American idol with both. The one with no front mic was better as promised. At least I actually got audio, and during the high notes it was much better (much better than zero isnt great however). The one with the back mic blocked was dead silent. Cudos to the guy who figured that out, he earned his pay this week! :)

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me where the mic is on the back of the phone? Is it the two holes above the flash? The only mic i'm sure of is the one you talk thru on the phone.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me where the mic is on the back of the phone? Is it the two holes above the flash? The only mic i'm sure of is the one you talk thru on the phone.

yeah, those two pin holes in back must be the mic's. I don't know how you would cover ONE with your finger.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, those two pin holes in back must be the mic's. I don't know how you would cover ONE with your finger.

Have we confirmed that those are actually mics? Someone else suggested they were part of the antenna system. If you take the battery cover off, you can see that there's two gold contacts that attach to that part. Others have said that the only two mics on the phone is the one on the bottom and one on the top.

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think this workaround was posted before, but I just tried plugging in a headset mic and recording a short video. The sound turned out much better than using the phone's external mics. It'll have to do for now :-\

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have tried all suggested "runaround" options (short of the factory reset) and none have worked. Has anyone had success getting back the audio by doing a factory reset?

This is the only problem i have found with my phone and it really bums me out. Hope HTC has a fix soon because video gets a lot of use on my phones.

abomb78

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the response I got from HTC within 24-hrs:

To: (removed)
Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 6:26:48 PM
Subject: Regarding your message (11USCW14ENA002402)

Dear Adrian,

We apologize for your disappointment with the video recorder of the HTC Thunderbolt. We understand the importance of being able to use the advanced features of our HTC smartphones the way they were intended.

Rest assured that we have reported this issue to our development team. Currently this issue is still under analysis. We have yet to determine if the cause is software or hardware related. We have noted that the issue does not appear to happen when using the Qik application for video chat. While we do not have an ETA yet on when the issue will be resolved, we are working on this matter with due diligence. As soon as we have anything to report about this issue with the HTC Thunderbolt, it will be posted on our website at HTC.com. If you prefer, you may also follow us on twitter or facebook.

Sincerely,

Collrin

HTC

--------

Seems like we may all have something to rejoice over in the future. Hopefully, the near future.

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This is the response I got from HTC within 24-hrs:

To: (removed)
Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 6:26:48 PM
Subject: Regarding your message (11USCW14ENA002402)

Dear Adrian,

We apologize for your disappointment with the video recorder of the HTC Thunderbolt. We understand the importance of being able to use the advanced features of our HTC smartphones the way they were intended.

Rest assured that we have reported this issue to our development team. Currently this issue is still under analysis. We have yet to determine if the cause is software or hardware related. We have noted that the issue does not appear to happen when using the Qik application for video chat. While we do not have an ETA yet on when the issue will be resolved, we are working on this matter with due diligence. As soon as we have anything to report about this issue with the HTC Thunderbolt, it will be posted on our website at HTC.com. If you prefer, you may also follow us on twitter or facebook.

Sincerely,

Collrin

HTC

--------

Seems like we may all have something to rejoice over in the future. Hopefully, the near future.

Oh good, so it MAY be a hardware issue?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else recieved a replacement phone from Verizon because of this? I have been waiting patiently for a fix to come out for this, but am seriously thinking about taking it in today to see what they can do for me. I need sound for my video's. Hate to replace the phone i have, as it's the only quirk i have had, but this problem is unacceptable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781