For those with bad battery life, mine has gotten a lot better after....

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
So I was getting about four hours of 'awake time' before hitting 15%.

I did a factory reset to clear out the crap I installed as a first time Android user, then only installed the stuff I really liked and that was 'known' stuff.

I did the turn off the widgets and Blockbuster stuff that has been documented.

Then did the bump charge six times. With the phone on I charged it til green, unplugged and turned it off. Plugged it back in til charged til green. Turned on the phone til it was ready to use. Unplugged and turned it off again. Charged til green. Repeated that for a total of six times. Never did get the 'plug it back in and it's immediately green' thing.

Used it normally last night (not paying attention to the battery numbers) then charged it with it on last night. No bumping at all today.

And now today, with app usage and all web surfing and typing this post, my awake time is 1:24:05 and my battery is at 91%. Before it would be in the 70's. My iPhone 3GS would be at about 90% too after this much activity.

So for those that are having battery problems, try a full factory reset, turning off all the stuff as documented and several times at bump charging. It just might help you out.

Last edited:
Reactions: samuraifortruth

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm having great battery life today too. Don't know if its because I've been using WiFi all day or the bump charging this morning. But after having my phone unplugged for 5hrs and 2hrs of awake time, I'm still at 93%.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Good advice. If this is your first android device, you probably downloaded a bunch of apps you don't need or don't use anymore.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I am not expecting to have to bump this thing every time. I'm hoping it's just this once or maybe once a month.

But I agree. We should not have to do this but its one of those work arounds that's seemingly needed.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Phone is has been up 5:15 hours, battery 86% no bump and using WiFi have used it very little about 35 mins since I'm busy doing other stuff.

Have GPS enabled, Blockbuster(as recommended), Screen about 25% brightness and adjusted Sync times for the other stuff.

If someone can come out with a Battery thats about 1750-1800 that fits in current cover we'll be good to go!

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Since bump charging was needed on the Incredible, Evo, and now the Thunderbolt... why isn't this a known issue that HTC can release an OTA fix for???

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I am a first time android user. I haven't downloaded a ton of stuff but a few things. But I really don't know what i'm doing yet. What blockbuster stuff do I need to turn off and how do I do it? And also, how do I get applications to "close" when I leave them? It seems like anytime I leave an application it doesn't actually close.. just kind of sticks it in the background and I'm sure that eats up some battery. I just read about bump charging last night and I did it several times until I started getting the quick green light.. not sure how much it helped me today.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Since bump charging was needed on the Incredible, Evo, and now the Thunderbolt... why isn't this a known issue that HTC can release an OTA fix for???

Because bump charging damages the battery. The normal charge cycle charges the battery to the level it is "supposed" to be for the best battery health. There's nothing wrong with the battery, bump charging is a hack, not a fix.