Is this a shortcoming?

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm really new to smart phones in general and Android in particular, as you can see from my name. I have a work BB, but we only use it for corporate email and the BB browser, which is limited to anything I can access on the web from my desktop - everything else is locked out).

My wife wants an iPhone, but I don't, so I'm researching alternatives. It will be a Verizon Android that plays on LTE of some sort. I don't see anything out there that I like better right now, and I can wait awhile just in case something bigger and better is on the horizon. I know, at some point I will need to make a decision, because there is always something bigger and better over the horizon.

I've read a lot of outside reviewers commenting on TB ONLY having a single core processor and not a dual core like some other new releases. They're also critical of it being released with 2.2 and not 2.3.

I couldn't begin to tell you the differences between the two OS releases.

Does anyone feel these are real shortcomings for the TB. Is there any talk of an update to 2.3 in the near or distant future?

Should I really care about this? Should it weigh into my decision?

All of my cellphones have either been LG or Motorola, so I have no experience with, or know very little about HTC. I haven't heard anything bad about them or HTC-Sense, but to be honest, I haven't looked very hard.

I do like the screen size on the TB, and I don't have a problem with the weight. What little I've seen of the display was impressive. The early battery issues seem to be settling out once you apply some battery management techniques. I haven't seen what the extended battery does to the size or shape, and if this limits cases and holsters for the unit.

Let me thank you upfront for any info you care to share with me.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm really new to smart phones in general and Android in particular, as you can see from my name. I have a work BB, but we only use it for corporate email and the BB browser, which is limited to anything I can access on the web from my desktop - everything else is locked out).

My wife wants an iPhone, but I don't, so I'm researching alternatives. It will be a Verizon Android that plays on LTE of some sort. I don't see anything out there that I like better right now, and I can wait awhile just in case something bigger and better is on the horizon. I know, at some point I will need to make a decision, because there is always something bigger and better over the horizon.

I've read a lot of outside reviewers commenting on TB ONLY having a single core processor and not a dual core like some other new releases. They're also critical of it being released with 2.2 and not 2.3.

Does anyone feel these are real shortcomings for the TB. Is there any talk of an update to 2.3 in the near or distant future?

All of my cellphones have either been LG or Motorola, so I have no experience with, or know very little about HTC. I haven't heard anything bad about them or HTC-Sense, but to be honest, I haven't looked very hard.

I do like the screen size on the TB, and I don't have a problem with the weight. What little I've seen of the display was impressive. The early battery issues seem to be settling out once you apply some battery management techniques. I haven't seen what the extended battery does to the size or shape, and if this limits cases and holsters for the unit.

welcome to this wonderful forum and maybe this link will help you decide :)http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/72118-no-brainer-gingerbread-coming-thunderbolt.html if link does not work copy and paste in your browser, also thank Comineeyeaha for this wonderful info.http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/26/gingerbread-headed-to-htc-thunderbolt-q2-2011/

Last edited:

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are ok with the size weight and battery (Most smartphones with screens this size will eat battery) then jump in. There will always be stuff on the horizon that looks better. This is no different. IT is plenty fast and IMHO it is a well optimized single core device (great quadrant scores) which is still focused on the high end. Dual core is here, and more to come, but i think it will take some time to optimize for phones and then you will see single core relegated to lower cost phones, but not yet.

rhinomo

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

I gotta say I'm loving my thunderbolt. The battery isn't a big issue once you get the phone setup the way you want. Android 2.2 is great & will easily suffice until 2.3 comes out 2nd quarter.

Dual core is not a big deal unless you're looking to play some high class games a year or so from now once they finally get dual cores optimized on android.

I do not have lte in my area yet but there are a lot of rumors going around that verizon will be moving to a tiered plan sometime this year. It may be worth it just to get on the 30/mo unlimited data with 4g while it is still here.

As far as htc, moto, or samsung; I would go with htc over any of the other ones due to the polish, simplicity, & quickness of sense. They also tend to be the easiest to root if that's your thing, but that is another debate.

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how to respond to individual posts, so let me just say thanks for the link. Besides answering one of my questions, it gives me another site to explore. And also for your opinions on the TB.

I think that I'm going to jump on the bandwagon for the TB. I think that it will do everything that I'm looking for in a more elegant way than a lot of the other choices available, and LTE is just the icing on the cake. It also gives me unlimited data for at least some time, and the chance to try out mobile hotspot for free for a couple of weeks.

When I was in a local store earlier in the week, they were out of both the TB and iPhone. Hopefully they will be restocked soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781