Anyone using "Google Calendar Sync" to Sync MS Outlook? There's a BETTER WAY!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Boy have I got a deal for you. I just found this, (yeah, I'm always the last to know - story of my life! :D ) Anyway, I just found this much better solution!

First: Go into your Google (Gmail) calendar and share it out for "private" access. (Calendar | <your calendar> | Settings | Private), Click on the "ICAL" method to obtain the link. Highlight, right-click and copy this link.

Second: Go into your MS Outlook | Calendar and right-click on "My Calendar" and choose "Add Calendar" | "From Internet". Paste the link you copied into the window and select OK.

From now on, your Google/Gmail calendar will be auto-synced with your MS Outlook every time you check your MS Outlook Mail.

Way cool! Way better than using Google Calendar Sync, which was causing time-zone issues for me, and basically is a very "kludgey" program with lots of bugs.

-Frank

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem adding the link into outlook. I can not find where to add the link, Im using outlook 2007.

Thanks for this, so far everything is sync' online mobile just need outlook now. Before I had to use that google calendar sync app for the computer to make this possible.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Got it to work. Had to go into the tools then account settings tab. From there, click internet calendars and post the link. Cant believe I never seen that setting up my email accounts.

GREAT JOB!! Way better than google calendar sync

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So I ran into a snag. Seems like the calendar on outlook (using the link and setup mentioned above) makes your gmail calendar a READ-ONLY calendar within outlook 2007. If anyone knows of a setting that may be doing this, otherwise seems like google calendar sync is the only way to keep outlook up to date with gmails calendar. (When adding an appointment on outlook on the computer side it wont update the cloud)

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Slightly OT, but hopefully helpful, in terms of Sync software, there is another alternative. I'd been searching for a while for a solution to my particular needs. I run a shared calendar on MS SharePoint and needed a way to sync that calendar with my Android Phone (and trying to avoid writing some custom code). Now you can link SharePoint to Outlook, but Google's own Outlook sync is no good, as the SharePoint Calendar is a secondary calendar and the Google software only syncs the primary/default calendar. That's where gyncit stepped in for me. Great product, costs $20 but is very flexible, will sync Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Tasks.. with a ton of options. http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/ (Not affiliated in any way, just very happy with it so far!)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar