Gingerbread - When - Why - etc.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Some of the changes I noticed in GB were

1. Widgets were put in sub folders so when you go to add a widget you see the name of the widget only not each size of that widget. So you would just see Beautiful widget list once and once pressed it would open all the Beautiful widgets. Kinda cleans it up IMO.
2. Pictures sent in text messages were not in slide show form.
3. Turning the screen off has a cool animation.
4. Better battery life.

I noticed these when using CM7 on my Dinc so its wasn't Sense so these maybe be different.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
If you've ever used a rooted Android device with a ROM based off Gingerbread, you'd notice the differences are slightly few..

I'm not really sure what GB was supposed to improve on from Froyo, but from what I've seen much of the functionality and battery life (hooray!) was much better.

I've used my own builds, along with r2DoesInc (OMGB versions) and Cyanogen 7 RC on my now retired Incredible. If the OEM update matches or surpasses what ROMs had going for them, it'll be a worthy update! :cool:

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Some of the changes I noticed in GB were

1. Widgets were put in sub folders so when you go to add a widget you see the name of the widget only not each size of that widget. So you would just see Beautiful widget list once and once pressed it would open all the Beautiful widgets. Kinda cleans it up IMO.
2. Pictures sent in text messages were not in slide show form.
3. Turning the screen off has a cool animation.
4. Better battery life.

I noticed these when using CM7 on my Dinc so its wasn't Sense so these maybe be different.

You had me at better battery life.

Cool screen animation *IS* A TURN OFF...... just have it shut off please, why waste more juice with an animation?

A BETTER way to put it to sleep and awake it back up would be nice. Trying to reach that little button with one hand AND swiping the screen to unlock is a bit of a pain.

ALSO (not doable with a software upgrade) ---- EITHER MAKE THE DAMN BATTERY COVER EASY TO TAKE OFF AND BUT BACK ON, OR MAKE A *SLIM* BATTERY THAT WILL EASILY POWER THIS BADBOY FOR 24 HOURS. :mad:

--- please note, this rant is NOT aimed at you, mclarryjr.

shellguy05

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a question regarding this OS update. Other people and myself have stated that they hear a "buzzing sound" while on a phone call. Whether the buzzing is in the background or while the person is speaking I guess depends on the phone. I have been mulling over exchanging my TB because of this issue with mine. It has actually gotten a little better since I first got the phone, but still does it. I have my TB set up how I like it right now, no battery issues, just the buzzing. Will the OS fix this? or should I risk it and try to replace now?

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
"New features
Theme and user interface touch-ups
Redesigned virtual keyboard with different font
Switch to voice mode to make text corrections
Multitouch capabilities to enter keyboard shortcuts
One-touch text selection
Power manager closes some CPU-hogging apps
More accessible power management app
Internet calling via SIP
NFC (near field communication) support
New download manager
Access to front-facing camera from camera app
Enhancements for game developers
API support for sensors including gyroscope, gravity, and barometer
New audio effects for developers, including sound mixing
Support for VP8/WebM video compression
Camera API access for developers"

Android 2.3's 'Gingerbread' OS: What's inside | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

hope this helps.

Reactions: Mike_is_Mike

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a question regarding this OS update. Other people and myself have stated that they hear a "buzzing sound" while on a phone call. Whether the buzzing is in the background or while the person is speaking I guess depends on the phone. I have been mulling over exchanging my TB because of this issue with mine. It has actually gotten a little better since I first got the phone, but still does it. I have my TB set up how I like it right now, no battery issues, just the buzzing. Will the OS fix this? or should I risk it and try to replace now?

Mine has never done this (buzzing) so it might just be something wrong with your phone - take it in to have it checked out or replaced.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
"New features
Theme and user interface touch-ups
Redesigned virtual keyboard with different font
Switch to voice mode to make text corrections
Multitouch capabilities to enter keyboard shortcuts
One-touch text selection
Power manager closes some CPU-hogging apps
More accessible power management app
Internet calling via SIP
NFC (near field communication) support
New download manager
Access to front-facing camera from camera app
Enhancements for game developers
API support for sensors including gyroscope, gravity, and barometer
New audio effects for developers, including sound mixing
Support for VP8/WebM video compression
Camera API access for developers"

Android 2.3's 'Gingerbread' OS: What's inside | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

hope this helps.

Thank you - what was a great help!

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
the stock camera app already allows you to use the front facing camera

I have already used the front facing camera to snap a pic.

Is there an app to do video calling? I heard, when I bought this camera, that was one of the features that didn't make the cut this first go around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo