That SIM card is yours forever

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Okay, SIM is too short of a word to search for, and I couldn't find any TB threads with a SIM tag at the bottom, so don't flame the admin for a fail.

That said, I wanted to pass a little info along to you guys about our SIM cards:

When you bought your TB, they also included a SIM card. That SIM card is yours and it's attached to your line, not your phone. In fact, if you ordered online, you will notice the card was not inside the Thunderbolt packaging; it was in the box separately.

If you were to buy a second phone, for the same line, or if you did a Warranty exchange, there will not be a new SIM card in the box. They know you already have one on that line and will not send you a new one.

All you have to do is plug your existing card into the new phone and bam it works. The Verizon store employees at my local store have not been trained about this properly. They were insisting that they needed my old card back and that they would have to deactivate it and give me a new one. I knew it wasn't true, but I'm not the type to argue with someone who's just trying to do their job. But after about 10 minutes of her trying to figure out how to do the SIM card replacement and a call for help from the store manager, I asked them to please let me show that my existing card would work.

They finally agreed, and both voice and data on the new phone worked right out of the box, without them having entered a single thing into their computer. When I showed them I could browse the web, they said fine but voice will absolutely not work. Then I placed a phone call. So, this is something that would be obvious to anyone that's ever owned a GSM phone, but maybe not so much to us Verizon die hards. I seriously was very nice about it, and they remarked they were glad to learn this after having swapped cards out all week long.

It's a new technology and anyone with a Verizon mindset, including employees and customers, may still think of the way things work with CDMA. We actually laughed about it and I admitted I only knew this because I have a second Bolt (don't ask) that I had learned this on. One came with a card, the other didn't.

So if you're exchanging or plan on buying a new phone, don't be surprised if there's no SIM card in the box.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that you'll be able to buy a new Bionic, for example, and it will activate on your old SIM? I'd say yes, but what if they have tiered data at that point for new activations?

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The thing that troubles me is why don't some of these store reps know this stuff? I mean honestly why isn't verizon teaching these things or doing a better job of training? the day before the bolt came out I went to a store to chat with a rep about it and discuss my options for upgrading and he swore you did not need an SIM card for 4G, had it in his mind that 4G was "baked into the phone" in his words and would just work right out of the box no problem. of course I denied this claim with the fact that you would need one, but after 5 minutes of discussion he still would not believe me, thought SIM was only to make the phone work internationally. Pretty sad if you ask me when I dont have a vast knowledge about this stuff, but pay a little bit of attention to it and know more than the person trying to sell me the phone

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Amazing.
Don't they go for training for EVERY Smartphone they release?
At least by me they do, but they tell me they don't pay attention lol.

Why the exchange Cory? Secretly trying to get your iphone sim into the TB? LOL

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The Verizon rep told me that it would be a global phone once other carriers move to LTE.

Reps are generally clueless. Verizon still uses cdma for the voice side of things on the Thunderbolt so you'll likely run into issues because of the way it's programmed. It likely won't matter as the European carriers aren't trying to adopt LTE very fast and have taken shots at Verizon for rushing it.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Does this go for EV-DO Rev A and CDMA voice services as well? What happens if I swap SIM cards, then leave a LTE-covered area?

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Reps are generally clueless. Verizon still uses cdma for the voice side of things on the Thunderbolt so you'll likely run into issues because of the way it's programmed. It likely won't matter as the European carriers aren't trying to adopt LTE very fast and have taken shots at Verizon for rushing it.

While I agree, how would that explain their other global phones? I assume the same technology would be in place for the LTE phones that would allow it to work on both networks CDMA and LTE(GSM).

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You are correct when you say the VZW reps have no clue about this. I had to return my Bolt because the power button kept getting stuck. I told the rep to just pop the sim in the new phone so I can get the hell on with my life. He insisted that the sim had to be changed and the 2 other clueless reps next to him backed that up. SMH

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
While I agree, how would that explain their other global phones? I assume the same technology would be in place for the LTE phones that would allow it to work on both networks CDMA and LTE(GSM).

The "global" phones are designed to to work on either CDMA or GSM independently of one another and programmed as such. Since Verizon isn't using voLTE yet, the Thunderbolt depends on Verizon's CDMA 1x voice network. So if you go somewhere that has LTE, you may get data but no voice. And with the rumors saying that the Revolution will be the first device to support voLTE, I'm not even sure if the Bolt will be able to do it in the future or not.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The "global" phones are designed to to work on either CDMA or GSM
The problem with the word "Global Phone" is that VZW invented it as a word to fit their description of Global on their network. It can mean whatever VZW decides it should mean. Right now, the way the words Global Phone are used in the VZW network means that a phone supports CDMA and GSM, just as you said. You cannot take those words (Global Phone) out of context and apply it to European LTE locations. The phrase was being used long before LTE came along and has nothing specifically to do with LTE.

-Frank

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
yeah the reps are not trained on sims...or the techs. I had 3 techs 3 different times tell me to call *228 to fix some problems. I had to tell them no. its a 4g device with a sim *228 wont work.

:p

Dmitri#AC

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The CSRs you get when calling in, don't know what they're doing either. I kept getting transferred when the normal *228 activation wouldn't work. The 5th CSR in the string finally transferred me to someone in their 4G department, who got the phone activated in under 90 seconds.

I'm guessing they're having problems with the SIM cards because the 4G CSR repeatedly told me if I had any problems with the phone, at all, to take it in to a store to get the SIM card replaced for free.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
When I get my replacement and put my sim card in which way does it go? Gold chip out or vzw lte logo out?

Get my tb repaplacement tommorow can't wait!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Now other networks just need to adopt LTE so I can go to Europe and still use my phone!
Even if European carriers had LTE, their network would have to run in the 700 mhz space for the tbolt to even have a chance of getting data. Voice is a whole different story. Down the road, I'm guessing there will be tri-band and quad-band LTE phones much like the GSM phones today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome