Problems with 3G data? Don't hard reset, read this first!

az30

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes it turns it off but this is the cause of the lack of 3G in the first place. Obviously this is totally reversible so you would just need to do this until Verizon fixes their network issues.

Well I tried it, Im in an area outside of 4g now and I have 3G but one bar lol. So i guess it is better than nothing..

sawedust

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! This fixed my problems.

Hopefully Verizon can get everything together and restore the original network connection; it's a shame to see such a big company be unprepared for a launch of this magnitude.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Does this also apply to areas that have no 4G coverage at all? I have already disabled the LTE via the *#*#4636#*#* menu.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does this also apply to areas that have no 4G coverage at all? I have already disabled the LTE via the *#*#4636#*#* menu.
It could. Because it is not a 4G technology, it's a 3G technology. It's just that it wasn't included in any phones previous to the 4G Thunderbolt. If you lose 3G, this would be something to check.

Upon further thought, however, it also could be that they didn't install this new 3G technology in towers without 4G. IOW, the 3G eHPRD/4G tower upgrades may have been done at the same time. I dunno...

-Frank

lazymac

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I was about to cry that my old Storm 2 was getting better reception than my new T-Bolt in the exact same areas. That would explain all the 3G intermittency I was seeing on the TB...

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Was this the whole country?? I have been in a 4G area all day then moved to 3G area with no issues. Im in the MD/DC area.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
It could. Because it is not a 4G technology, it's a 3G technology. It's just that it wasn't included in any phones previous to the 4G Thunderbolt. If you lose 3G, this would be something to check.

Upon further thought, however, it also could be that they didn't install this new 3G technology in towers without 4G. IOW, the 3G eHPRD/4G tower upgrades may have been done at the same time. I dunno...

-Frank

Its possible. I change it and see what happens.

UPDATE - I just changed mine. When I did it immediately changed from 1x to 3G...

Last edited:

Malefickus

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

-Frank

I'm not sure about that with only putting it in 4G areas. Reason being is I'm currently in an "Extended Network" area and can do voice and data over 3G just fine, as well as in areas that are most definitely 3G only, and provided by Verizon instead of an "Extended Network". In fact, I've not had any problems with it, and am still trying to get used to various data update notifications going on in my ear when I'm talking on the phone (facebook, emails, etc).

beveritt

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just returned my TB to my local corporate store. They said a nationwide email went out to them all about the data problems the phone had been having. The email said it was a fix on the network side, and required the phone to be hard reset to take effect. The fix only works if the phone had been hard reset after 1PM mountain time today. I was skeptical and returned it anyway, bit it would be interesting to heart from others if it helped.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna give this a go right now. I'm willing to do just about anything to get my battery to last as long as possible. After having it off of the charger for 3 hrs... I'm at 25%

clickclick#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
i have 3g signal either way, does that mean i'm not affected? i just got my TB a couple days ago and am loving it except for the fact that i'm in a 4G covered area and am not getting 4g signal

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but is there a way to know when it's back up other than watch these forums like a hawk (which I simply cannot do)?

Since all you really lose by doing this is voice and data at the same time why not just leave it this way and just flip it back in a few days and see what happens.

It certainly would be nice if Verizon would acknowledge the problem so that they could alert people its fixed but since they are publically not acknowledging it I guess you will just have to look here or try again later yourself...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12