Bad network signal? Try a new 4G sim card.

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I have tried everything in the world to get my wife's Thunderbolt on par with mine. Out of the box, mine has worked like a champ, while she's on her 2nd phone. (Bad power button and 0-1 bars constantly.) Anyway, after getting home and looking at her replacement phone, I noticed the same issue, 0-1 bars. I thought to myself that there has to be more to this. I put her phone next to mine and I had 3-4 bars, while she had her usual 0-1 bars (74% time without a signal.) I thought to check the phones info under settings and bam, I found my problem. Software and everything was exactly the same, except our PRL's. Mine is 13004 and hers is 15008. So I immediately jumped online and Googled how to updated the PRL on the Thunderbolt. Apparently the PRL files are stored on the 4G sim card, and since *228 no longer works on our phones, the only option to get a different PRL is to get a new sim card. I checked the sim card that came with her phone and the date reads.....102810. I then checked the date on my sim card and it read....020411. So I will be going to Verizon tomorrow morning and requesting a sim that was made on or at least near the date that mine was produced and hopefully this will fix our problem. I will update this thread once I know for sure. So if you did this and it helped, please feel free to post your results. Also, when we swapped the phones out, we didn't get a new sim card since each card is tied to that specific number. The rep just put the old sim and sdcard in the new phone incase anyone was wondering. Hope this helps.

Update: Just left my Verizon store and as of right now, I didn't have to swap out my sim card. The rep checked and he said it showed that my wife's phone was under the regular nationwide network, while my phone was under the hybrid network.(Whatever that is.) So he sent out an network update to my wife's phone that should bring hers on par with mine. He told me not to turn off my phone because it may take a couple of hours to push through, but once it does, our prls or signal strength in our area should be the same. Once the update pushes through, I'll post the results.

Update to the update: :D:D:D After letting the phone stay on for 8 hours, got home, pulled the sim and battery out for 30 seconds, popped them back in and bam!!!!!! 3-4 bars of constant signal strength. Didn't have to change the sim card, but the PRL number did change from 15008, to 13006. (Which 13xxx means you're on the Hybrid Network.) If you're have a low to bad network signal, I would highly suggest you call Verizon or go into a store and have them make sure you're on the Hybrid network and not the Regular Nationwide Network. Have them send an PRL update/upgrade to your line and see if it helps. Worked like a miracle for my wife's phone. :D:D:D

Last edited:

jigz23

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... my PRL number is 15008 also and I have areas in my office in which I barely get 3g service let alone 4g when I'm supposed to be in a very strong area. I wonder if other people with 15008 prl numbers are having issues too.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know. I have a friend who was having a similar signal issue; I'll tell him to heck the date on his card.

Thanks.

jigz23

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Odd... I just took out my sim card to check the date (which by the way was made the day before yours =)) and now after turning on my phone, it says my prl version is 1..... is that even possible?

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm my Sim card date is 102810 also but i am not having problems with my signal or i could be and just be blaming it on my area hah not really sure? and also my prl is 15008

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Jigz23...you don't have to pull your sim out. It's printed on the front of the main card that the sim came in also. This may be device and area specific. But that 15008 PRL is horrible in my house, while the 13004 PRL allows me to hold a constant 3-4 bars just about everywhere I go. I wonder way I'm not hearing any 13004 PRLs. I'm in Florida by the way.

Last edited:

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything in the world to get my wife's Thunderbolt on par with mine. Out of the box, mine has worked like a champ, while she's on her 2nd phone. (Bad power button and 0-1 bars constantly.) Anyway, after getting home and looking at her replacement phone, I noticed the same issue, 0-1 bars. I thought to myself that there has to be more to this. I put her phone next to mine and I had 3-4 bars, while she had her usual 0-1 bars (74% time without a signal.) I thought to check the phones info under settings and bam, I found my problem. Software and everything was exactly the same, except our PRL's. Mine is 13004 and hers is 15008. So I immediately jumped online and Googled how to updated the PRL on the Thunderbolt. Apparently the PRL files are stored on the 4G sim card, and since *228 no longer works on our phones, the only option to get a different PRL is to get a new sim card. I checked the sim card that came with her phone and the date reads.....102810. I then checked the date on my sim card and it read....020411. So I will be going to Verizon tomorrow morning and requesting a sim that was made on or at least near the date that mine was produced and hopefully this will fix our problem. I will update this thread once I know for sure. So if you did this and it helped, please feel free to post your results. Also, when we swapped the phones out, we didn't get a new sim card since each card is tied to that specific number. The rep just put the old sim and sdcard in the new phone incase anyone was wondering. Hope this helps.

In my Evo to refesh my PRL.

Settings>system updates> Update PRL.

Yes, if your on the move alot? The PRL update will re-sync your position
in regards to the cell towers your are nearest to.

It will also improve battery life .

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
In my Evo to refesh my PRL.

Settings>system updates> Update PRL.

Yes, if your on the move alot? The PRL update will re-sync your position
in regards to the cell towers your are nearest to.

It will also improve battery life .

We don't have this option on the TB.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
from what I was told by the tech and that is the top tier tech is that on the thunderbolt the bars dont matter that much for data they matter when it comes to voice signal. Data doesn't depend on bars and it does make sense since I have full bars regardless of the if I have 3g or 4g symbol up there right next to it. He said that bars are just radio signal for voice from what I was told.

gotnoteeth

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I sim card has nothing to do with received signal strength. Quit comparing the number of "bars" with actual signal strength. My old droid would get -80 dBm in my house, my Thunderbold gets -75dBm, yet it show 2 "bars" less. "Bars" mean nothing, there is no universal formula used to determine how "bars" relate to actual signal strength. They vary from phone to phone. Different firmware determines this as well. To compare signal strength, compare in dBm.

SIM cards tell the phone how to decrypt the signal, they don't determine the strength of the signal.

Lastly, PRL, or preferred roaming list tells the phone what networks to search for when there isn't a native Verizon signal. It has nothing to do with new towers being built. This website has a lot of mis-information.

Reactions: thedeceiver

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just stick your sim card in her phone(lol) and see if it fixes it. Though it would make absolutely no sense in the world if it did.

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I sim card has nothing to do with received signal strength. Quit comparing the number of "bars" with actual signal strength. My old droid would get -80 dBm in my house, my Thunderbold gets -75dBm, yet it show 2 "bars" less. "Bars" mean nothing, there is no universal formula used to determine how "bars" relate to actual signal strength. They vary from phone to phone. Different firmware determines this as well. To compare signal strength, compare in dBm.

SIM cards tell the phone how to decrypt the signal, they don't determine the strength of the signal.

Lastly, PRL, or preferred roaming list tells the phone what networks to search for when there isn't a native Verizon signal. It has nothing to do with new towers being built. This website has a lot of mis-information.

I know this sir. I'm not just looking at bars, I'm talking about service also. She has dropped many calls. Her voice calls are in and out. Her -dbs average between 104 and 107, while I'm averaging between -85 to -87. So I thank you for your misinformation o wise one, but I know what my problem is. Also, can you tell me why our phones signals are so far apart when our phones are right beside each other ol' misinformed wise one?

Reactions: project.in.process

mischiefse7en

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Call Verizon. After the tech was done with my phone, the phone was consistently 7-10 dbm better. I was kinda shocked actually. Oh, and my prl is 1 also

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Dang Verizon!

No 4G widget and no PRL update function?

Seems like they really rushed out the TB?

Hopefully, in future software updates, Verizon will implement
some of these features.

PRL updates are pushed by VZW to the phone, so there's the PRL update function. There is no need to replace the SIM for this, or manually call the activation system. It was possible to automatically push PRLs before SIM cards and LTE, but Verizon didn't seem to take advantage of this too often. Other CDMA carriers such as US Cellular have taken advantage of this feature for some time to make sure the phones are up to date and roaming on the correct networks.

In some areas, there may be special PRLs (such as in areas where VZW recently bought another carrier). So if your PRL is different, it could be that way for a good reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084