k9 mail app - IMAP Hotmail

kevzik

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
First post...Hi there,

Anyway, I can't figure out how to set up a hotmail account using IMAP with the k9 mail app. POP3 works fine, but I don't want POP3 :p.

I've been able to set up IMAP with another account with k9, but hotmail won't freaking work.

Here's what I'm doing:

Manual Setup>>IMAP>>
User: blah@msn.com
Pass: blah
IMAP Server: m.hotmail.com
Security Type: I've tried none,SSL and Always SSL
Auth Type: Plain
Port: defaults to 993

And I get: "Cannot connect to server"

So I try
Manual Setup>>Exchange (WebDAV) with the same setting above and get "IOException" error...

Help?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Try Maildroid app. It works great, its always updating and improving and I personally like it better than K9 even though K9 has more "customizable features". Plus, if you have any issues, you can contact the developer and he gets back to you personally within a few hours. Its great!

That may not be the answer to your question...but at least you know you have options. :)

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
No luck here either. Gmail and Charter fine with IMAP. Hotmail no go so far except pop3. Yahoo no go due to not having Yahoo Plus but I got Yahoo Mail free app from Android Market that works fine without Yahoo Plus, even does PUSH!

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
K-9 does NOT support IMAP with Hotmail or with Exchange 2010 (only with earlier versions of exchange) their developer block says it is hard there are licencing issues and they are working on it. I have it set up with pop3. It has to do with Microsoft ddropping WebDev suport and some other stuff.

I am also finding that the universal inbox takes a few seconds to come together, merge all of my email accounts together and become useful

erikk00

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to necro a crazy old thread but I'm still having these issues, can't seem to find a solution through googling and am wondering if anyone here ever solved the problem?

I'd really like to use K9 as my main/only email client on my shiny new Galaxy S3 but if it can't handle hotmail that just ain't happening.

Apparently it ain't happening: https://codethis.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/building-k-9-mail-with-exchange-activesync-support/

Seems K9/Kaiten doesn't support Exchange ActiveSync yet. So I'm stuck either finding a more compatible 3rd party app or waiting on some possible recode in the future. Thanks for your help and sorry again for the old thread necro.

Last edited: