whats the best keyboard for the thunderbolt?

kaufmansm

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Whats the best keyboard for the thunderbolt. Had Swype but to many spelling errors. Stock one is ok, just wondering what everyone else is using?

echotodd

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Smart Keyboard Pro and really like it a lot. The feature to adjust the long press duration is worth it alone! Does the Gingerbread keyboard have that feature as well?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I change keyboards more often than I change my underware (so yeah more than once a day). I have always been partial to Smart Keyboard and it looks great with the Galaxy S or Android skin. That said, I'm even having accuracy issues with it on the TB, where it was great on my Fascinate. There's actually a keyboard called iPhone Keyboard Emulator in the Market that I've revisited in the last few days. At one point I loved it but ditched it because of its poor dictionary, which now appears to be a lot better. It actually does work as well as the iPhone keyboard does and I am not making near as many mistakes. So I would say give that one a shot too. In my experience this is my list from most to least successful on the Cory is able to use scale.

iPhone Keyboard Emulator - needs a bigger dictionary, but it has improved significantly
Smart Keyboard - cool settings like vibration duration for key presses. One of the more accurate.
Gingerbread - works great but is designed for GB. I think we will be pleased when it's official.
Swift Key - cool idea. My mistake level went up with this one though.
Better Keyboard - hmmm not bad, but not great either. Kind of a knock off of Smart Keyboard but not quite as good in terms of accuracy.

And I can't even use Swype :/

Keyboards are like gloves. You gotta just pick the one that's right for you, which means you need to try them all on first.

Reactions: RetiredJedi

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
+1 SmartKeyboard... the option to remove the period key and enlarge the spacebar is a huge plus for me... I tend to miss the spacebar on other keyboards.

androidburn

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Do any of these keyboards make any difference based upon visuals alone such as Gingerbread? Unless the hotspots are changed, it's all psychological. To me, the benefits are in the features where you can change the size of the keys and layouts and other macro features.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Whats the best keyboard for the thunderbolt. Had Swype but to many spelling errors. Stock one is ok, just wondering what everyone else is using?

There is rarely a "best" of anything. That being said, there is a setting in Swype for speed vs accuracy. I see very few spelling errors and see nothing else that is better for what I do.

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using swype for the longest, now I could never go back to a regular keyboard on a touch screen. It just takes too long to type without it. Soo swype and yea adjust those settings in it until its dead on with the way you use it. It probably takes me about a week or so every time I wipe my phone to retrain swype to understand the way I type, but after that its beautiful.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I am having an issue with Smart and Swift. More often than not when using either keyboards, there is a hesitation/lag when typing the first letter regardless of which app I am in. The stock keyboard works fine.

It doesn't happen everytime. But it happens about 75% of the time.

Anybody else?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Big fan of Smart Keyboard here. All about customization for me, since I have issues previously mentioned here ... I miss the spacebar a ton so I have the period key turned off (still hit the "b" too much"). Once you get used to that long spacebar it's hard to turn back. Lots of other customization things though ... swiping to change layouts, backspace a whole word, minimize .. a all kinds of things that the Sense kb doesn't allow.

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't deal with the stock keyboard at all and got the Gingerbread keyboard from the market. It seems so much more intuitive and easy to get around on, I don't think I could ever go back.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Gang, thanks for cluing me into the Gingerbread KB - I hadn't even heard of it. Checking it out now. Lots of nice features I haven't even thought of, but it's missing one that I think has now become make-or-break for me - the full-word backspace. I use that constantly with Smart KB Pro.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
which swype are you using though, was it the beta one or the evo one? I tried the beta one and it was terrible (so bad I ditched it within 2 hours of downloading it) but today i decided to try again but this time went for the evo version and its working great

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
And despite my comments above I think I'm going right on back to Smart KB ... too many mistakes coming up on this GB one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674