Thunderbolt - CRACKED housing!! Pics!

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I woke up this morning to find that my new Thunderbolt has a crack on the corner of the housing. I haven't droped it or done anything to cause this to happen. I am pretty bummed, but am still within the 14 days to exchange it for a NEW one. Now I have to backup, return to stock and hope that the nandroid will be able to restore! Back to my DINC temporarily...
P1010244.jpg

P1010246.jpg

P1010247.jpg

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. Darn mice must have borrowed your phone and dropped it overnight. Glad they had the courtesy to return it! o.0

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure they're cracks? Mine has faint lines on the bottom two corners. They're perfectly straight with no gap and look to be more like a manufacturing seam instead of a crack. I have not dropped mine even once.

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure they're cracks? Mine has faint lines on the bottom two corners. They're perfectly straight with no gap and look to be more like a manufacturing seam instead of a crack. I have not dropped mine even once.

i thought the same thing and looked at mine, but his isn't a straight light. it looks wavy and does seem like a crack to me.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine also has the faint lines at the bottom but they are perfectly straight and obviously part of the build of the phone. The lines pictured are jagged and also just as obviously are cracks.

R

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine also has the faint lines at the bottom but they are perfectly straight and obviously part of the build of the phone. The lines pictured are jagged and also just as obviously are cracks.

R

Mine has what looks like Ghost Armor around the edges, slightly narrower than the full edge. Two corners having the seams you're talking about. Anyone else seeing this along the edges? Strange....

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine has what looks like Ghost Armor around the edges, slightly narrower than the full edge. Two corners having the seams you're talking about. Anyone else seeing this along the edges? Strange....

i have it on all 4 corners on my phone on the top plate part. its not on battery cover.

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, SNAP!
Just got back from Verizon and now there are a bunch of people with cracks too?
I sure hope this isn't some manufacturing defect! It's not the seem from the molding process, its a crack! You can feel it and it's not straight.

Within the first 14 days you can exchange the phone for another brand new one if you find any defects or problems. After that you will be covered under the 1yr. warranty and any subsequent coverage you opt for. However, the phone will be replaced with a certified like new device, unless they don't have any, at which point they will send you a new one.

Verizon did the exchange paperwork, gave me a receipt and ordered the NEW replacement. They will be calling me on Thursday to swap it out when is gets to the store. They were sold out and said the other local store also was. They would not simply ship me the NEW phone(which would have been convenient) because it's within the first 14 days.

If this turns out to be a common problem with the TB, HTC is going to make a new production run fixing the problem and provide a NEW replacement to everybody.

johndabeast

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
All four corners of my TB look like they have a line through them, but it doesn't look like an actual crack like the OP's, maybe one of his manufacturing lines cracked.

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
All four corners of my TB look like they have a line through them, but it doesn't look like an actual crack like the OP's, maybe one of his manufacturing lines cracked.

I have the manufacturing lines on all the other 3 corners. The 4th corner picture is definately a crack.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
and this is exactly why HTC should have made an aluminum unibody for the Thunderbolt.

I've always been an HTC fanboy since my Nexus One but they kinda let me down with the Thunderbolt build quality.

don't get me wrong, I really LOVE my TB...BUT I also still have my Nexus One and I can directly compare the build quality and the TB does not compare to the Nexus One. The fit and finish on the Nexus is far beyond the TBolt. There are absolutely no gaps between the screen and frame, the screen is completely flush with the frame. Aluminum all the way around the screen and where there IS plastic on the Nexus, it's coated in a rubberized material. Like i said don't get me wrong, I love my ThunderBolt and the Nexus has it's own set of issues, but build quality is not one of them. It pisses me off. HTC should be using aluminum on ALL of it's devices, IMO, because without it the difference between them and other manufacturers is not all that clear anymore(besides Sense).

froader

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
and this is exactly why HTC should have made an aluminum unibody for the Thunderbolt.

I've always been an HTC fanboy since my Nexus One but they kinda let me down with the Thunderbolt build quality.

don't get me wrong, I really LOVE my TB...BUT I also still have my Nexus One and I can directly compare the build quality and the TB does not compare to the Nexus One. The fit and finish on the Nexus is far beyond the TBolt. There are absolutely no gaps between the screen and frame, the screen is completely flush with the frame. Aluminum all the way around the screen and where there IS plastic on the Nexus, it's coated in a rubberized material. Like i said don't get me wrong, I love my ThunderBolt and the Nexus has it's own set of issues, but build quality is not one of them. It pisses me off. HTC should be using aluminum on ALL of it's devices, IMO, because without it the difference between them and other manufacturers is not all that clear anymore(besides Sense).

I don't have a Nexus one, but will have to agree that HTC has fallen short with the TB build quality. There are inconsistencies on this phone - the gaps aren't straight or the same and I notice my screen is recessed farther in on one side. The aluminum unibody would have been nice to see. Plastic is only so strong, especially if they don't get the mixture correct. It can either be too brittle or soft. Wasn't there fairly recently a device that had a recall due to the plastic breaking? Was it the vogue?

I have my fingers crossed that this will be the last I see of a crack!

scottadusa

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I dont think they are cracks

I think they are gate marks from the plastic mold.

I have them on all four corners too. i bet if you looked a brand new one they are there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol