Manufacturer's warranty NON-transferrable...?

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My mom is eligible for an upgrade on her line but will never use it so she said I was welcome to. We have individual, separate accounts without any family share type setup. The rep at the Verizon store told me I could use her upgrade to buy the phone at the discounted price but the moment I took it off her line, the manufacturer's warranty would be void, that the warranty is only good for the original person who purchased the phone and is non-transferrable.

Has anyone heard of this before? I have used several phones I bought second hand via eBay or CL and have yet to have a problem getting a warranty claim honored despite not being the original owner of the phone.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
My mom is eligible for an upgrade on her line but will never use it so she said I was welcome to. We have individual, separate accounts without any family share type setup. The rep at the Verizon store told me I could use her upgrade to buy the phone at the discounted price but the moment I took it off her line, the manufacturer's warranty would be void, that the warranty is only good for the original person who purchased the phone and is non-transferrable.

Has anyone heard of this before? I have used several phones I bought second hand via eBay or CL and have yet to have a problem getting a warranty claim honored despite not being the original owner of the phone.

It has been this way as long as i have had VZW (former Alltel). That doesn't mean they will check it. Same thing with Assurion insurance. You have 30 days from purchase to get the insurance.
However, i have sold my "old" like new phones before and people have taken them back for warranty/insurance claims and have not been turned away. I'm sure if they want to be sticklers about it, they can be. I'm sure it is to prevent people from abusing the system to get a "brand new" device when they bought it second hand to begin with.