The irony....VZW is just dense

SixStringMadness

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so they activated 4G LTE in basically the NFL towns right?

So why the hell doesn't the NFL mobile app work on their first, and currently only 4G phone?

That's like buying bullets and no gun......

Reactions: Slapnpop826

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well it's not like the NFL season is here yet. I know there's a lot going on, but still. Also, I would think that would be on the app developer, not the carrier.

Also, it wasn't just NFL cities because Columbus got LTE at launch and they have NHL and MLS, no NFL.

SixStringMadness

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I realize it's not just NFL cities, and there are some towns that are 4G without any pro sports. Rochester, NY for one.

And since the NFL app is a VZW thing, and they did focus on most NFL towns, and they are pumping the 4G and the Thunderbolt, it would make sense for the NFL app to work on the 4G phone, and VZW should plan ahead and say to the developer, make this work by such and such a date.

I have it on another phone, and I live in a non NFL town, and use it to keep up with my team. It just makes sense to make the NFL app work on the 4G phone, as most of the NFL sits in 4G coverage. It just makes sense.

But like most giant companies, like the one I work for, just don't think of things like that. They think they can advertise their way into your living room, and then you deal with the quirks that the rep never tells you about.

By the way, the app doesn't shut off just because the season is not here.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Well it's not like the NFL season is here yet. I know there's a lot going on, but still. Also, I would think that would be on the app developer, not the carrier.

Also, it wasn't just NFL cities because Columbus got LTE at launch and they have NHL and MLS, no NFL.

What do you MEAN "because Columbus got LTE at launch"?!! The Buckeyes are a bigger franchise than most NFL teams!!! ;)

Reactions: paulmike3

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What do you MEAN "because Columbus got LTE at launch"?!! The Buckeyes are a bigger franchise than most NFL teams!!! ;)

I know, I'm from an exurb of Columbus and our school fight song was the same as Ohio State's. I was in marching band and we even did script Ohio my junior and senior years in high school. Our band director graduated from Ohio State so that's probably why he was trying to turn our band into Ohio State. Which wasn't a bad thing, the band is now one of the best in the state of Ohio.

Anyway... back on topic. I know they should have made sure the NFL app worked, but the developers of the app should take most of the blame.

Reactions: paulmike3

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
NFL cities just happen to be the largest, which is what they wanted at launch, the largest cities

You know what I just realized? Indianapolis didn't get LTE at launch. They are getting it around Plainfield and the airport now, but they had nothing at launch. Wow, Verizon didn't think the marketing through did they? Although the only time I heard about the 'NFL' city thing was on the forums. So maybe they realized it didn't really pan out that way so they got away from that marketing strategy.

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering myself about why the app doesn't work. I'm starting realize that the changes under the hood of the bolt are more significant than previously. there are apps that simply won't work with it right now. hopefully an update will come before the draft.

SixStringMadness

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Why do you need the NFL app right now?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Because I want it, what's it matter? It's there, I have a phone that apparently can crush the video the app streams, and I want to use it. I want to check in on the Indianapolis Colts. Who cares? why do I want a phone that's faster than my home ISP? Because we're impractical people with impractical phones.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Because I want it, what's it matter? It's there, I have a phone that apparently can crush the video the app streams, and I want to use it. I want to check in on the Indianapolis Colts. Who cares? why do I want a phone that's faster than my home ISP? Because we're impractical people with impractical phones.

I hear you. I want it also. It worked on my Storm so when I got the Thunderbolt I thought I would see a big change. I see zip.:(

want a droid

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you honestly think Verizon planned their dispersement of LTE launch cities by NFL team locations then you are much mistaken. Like someone else stated, it is by region as noted by various cities that don't have NFL teams, and cities that have NFL teams, but no LTE.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
And since the NFL app is a VZW thing, and they did focus on most NFL towns, and they are pumping the 4G and the Thunderbolt, it would make sense for the NFL app to work on the 4G phone, and VZW should plan ahead and say to the developer, make this work by such and such a date.

Sprint used to have that app, but the NFL had so many requirements on it (things that had to be there, live updating within 5 seconds of a score, touchdown videos posted within 15 minutes, etc ) that when renewal time came up in 2008 for 2009, Sprint didn't even bid for it. They figured why pay the NFL money for a lot of extra work? They let the app go, and wrote their own which is actually a little easier to use. You enjoy that Verizon exclusive app...Until Verizon gets tired of paying for it and AT&T wants it. Then Verizon will create their own app and all will be well. Unfortunately, the NFL is blowing it for the fans through the lockout, and the way they try to make money off of anything with the NFL logo. Before anyone says "that's how business works", umm, no, it's not.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I do enjoy the app. That's why I'm complaining that it doesn't work.

I hope you enjoy your exclusive Sprint Cup apps, because I would like that too.

If I could port you mine, I'd do it. I use Sprint, Verizon and AT&T btw...they all have issues of one kind or another, and none of them deserve a crown.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781