2days left, return or stick it out?

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 days left, and lately this battery thing has been getting to me. The phone is ok with the exception of being at work. In 3hrs my phone already went through 48% of its battery. Thats with mobile data, wifi, gps, location services, and screen brightness turned all the way down. 3g is even turned off via the mobile data. Best of all the total use that ive had the phone turned on was for 36mins.

At this point im thinking about returning this, and waiting for the incredible 2 phone, despite how much i really do like this phone. That extended battery would be a nice thing with the exception of the size and extra weight it adds to an already over sized and weighted phone, and the extra cost of that battery.

So do any others think that a future software update may help this (i know it most likely would) but would I have to keep all these premium services turned off even though I payed for a topped dollar premium phone.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Im sure HTC will remedy any outstanding issues with the device. HTC was voted to be the top company for fixing/updating phones. The Thunderbolt is an amazing device. I would stick it out. It will only get better and with Gingerbread rumored to be coming in the next few months for the TB, it makes the phone even more appealing.

desoulja2185

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I will admit that I do love the phone, and it's not the battery that's bugging me.. I have yet to see a fix for the messaging app that is continously freezing and force closing and all of that jazz... it comes to a point to where the phone just freezes in that screen or a black screen comes up.. It's buggin me because I DO text a lot and even after keeping the stored text messages to a minimum.. it still does it from time to time... I have yet to see a fix, but overall, though it has its problems.. I still think that I'm going to keep it... as far as a software update fixing the battery issue... I doubt it.. the only hope is waiting for an extended battery that fits under the stock casing because like you.. I'm not willing to sacrifice the intended look of the phone OR dishing out any extra money for something that should have been address initially from HTC...I'm sure they knew of the EVO battery issues... why release a phone which is basically an upgraded EVO in some areas... with yet a SMALLER battery... SMH.. but.. I'm a keeper, so I'll deal with the issues and hope for the best in the future....

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Im sure HTC will remedy any outstanding issues with the device. HTC was voted to be the top company for fixing/updating phones. The Thunderbolt is an amazing device. I would stick it out. It will only get better and with Gingerbread rumored to be coming in the next few months for the TB, it makes the phone even more appealing.

Thats what appeals me to HTC, they send updates in a much timed fashion as opposed to other manufactures. I like how fluid the thunderbolt is, its quick! Honestly though, I don't this the battery can get much better with software. Maybe add an extra 1.5-2 hours. What I would really like to see is HTC release a higher capacity battery, and if not do an even exchange at least offer it to us at a discounted price.

Thanks everyone for their responses. It is very much appreciated for your time.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
HTC may release a larger slim battery as well. Also there are 3rd party vendors that sell larger slmim batteries that fit under the current back. Seidio for example sells a 1700 (or is it 1600) slim battery. But im betting we will get some update or fix software wise to help. Also Gingerbread will be a huge help towards fixing the issues.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
... In 3hrs my phone already went through 48% of its battery. Thats with mobile data, wifi, gps, location services, and screen brightness turned all the way down. 3g is even turned off via the mobile data. Best of all the total use that ive had the phone turned on was for 36mins...

I have 4 hours of uptime and 30 minutes of awake time and mine is at 96%. I sent the whole time texting with my wife. hmmm, please understand I'm not bragging I just wonder what the difference is?

I'm sticking with it. I can't wait for some updates.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I will admit that I do love the phone, and it's not the battery that's bugging me.. I have yet to see a fix for the messaging app that is continously freezing and force closing and all of that jazz... it comes to a point to where the phone just freezes in that screen or a black screen comes up.. It's buggin me because I DO text a lot and even after keeping the stored text messages to a minimum.. it still does it from time to time... I have yet to see a fix, but overall, though it has its problems.. I still think that I'm going to keep it... as far as a software update fixing the battery issue... I doubt it.. the only hope is waiting for an extended battery that fits under the stock casing because like you.. I'm not willing to sacrifice the intended look of the phone OR dishing out any extra money for something that should have been address initially from HTC...I'm sure they knew of the EVO battery issues... why release a phone which is basically an upgraded EVO in some areas... with yet a SMALLER battery... SMH.. but.. I'm a keeper, so I'll deal with the issues and hope for the best in the future....

I had the messaging app freeze on me once. What I did was delete some of those messages and restarted the phone..All worked from that point on; haven't had a problem. Seemed to me that one of the messages I guess I sent had choked up the app, I think I was doing a group message if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I do not have this phone but can add something being a launch day EVO owner. HTC released updates faster than any other manufacturer in my opinion and it seemed that most addressed battery life. Launch day nattery rarely lasted half a day whether it was used or not. 7ish months later it was almost up to 3/4 of a day of moderate use. Huge improvement in my opinion.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have 4 hours of uptime and 30 minutes of awake time and mine is at 96%. I sent the whole time texting with my wife. hmmm, please understand I'm not bragging I just wonder what the difference is?

Jeezz.. how long has it been since the phone was unplugged.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
HTC may release a larger slim battery as well. Also there are 3rd party vendors that sell larger slmim batteries that fit under the current back. Seidio for example sells a 1700 (or is it 1600) slim battery. But im betting we will get some update or fix software wise to help. Also Gingerbread will be a huge help towards fixing the issues.

I think someone had the 1600 seidio and said he couldnt tell a difference. I wouldnt go any lower than 1700 if a slim came out

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Your post seems to suggest that you keep mobile data off, and when you turn it on you use 3G. Battery issues asides, there is no reason to keep this phone unless you use 4G, and you use lots of it. The Incredible 2 would probably be better for you, especially with the battery and weight issues.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Has HTC ever released a larger slim battery for any of it's other phones in the past? That doesn't sound like something this company, who is in business to sell you a NEW phone every year or two, would likely do.

I have the Seidio 1600 battery - don't waste your money.

Gingerbread MIGHT give us some extra precious minutes, but it is the battery it's self that needs to be changed to make any REAL difference.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I do not have this phone but can add something being a launch day EVO owner. HTC released updates faster than any other manufacturer in my opinion and it seemed that most addressed battery life. Launch day nattery rarely lasted half a day whether it was used or not. 7ish months later it was almost up to 3/4 of a day of moderate use. Huge improvement in my opinion.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I was thinking about where I could talk to EVO owners because of their batt issues when the phone 1st came out. First thank you for responding, Secondly what you've stated makes more confident now I wont be regretting this decision. I'm sorry but now that verizon changed their upgrade policies, just thinking about sticking with these issues for another 2yrs makes you shake on the edge of your seat. Not to mention gather as much info and data as you can withing 14 days before being stuck with it.

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming you bump charged? When I bump charge the first 10% takes 2-3 as long to drain as the rest of the battery it seems. Almost feels like I am at 110% or something.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I really do feel bad for the people that are having issues. I mean it seems like you either aren't tweaking things just right or you just have a bad phone.

It really is a great phone and I really couldn't see myself going back to a 3G phone. I guess for the people that don't have LTE, they don't know what they're missing, but having unlimited LTE data for $9.99 a month is just way too good to pass up for me.

I guess I don't really notice the battery issue because most of the time I'm near power anyway and even when I forget to plug it in, it gets pretty decent battery life for me and it will only get better.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I'm assuming you bump charged? When I bump charge the first 10% takes 2-3 as long to drain as the rest of the battery it seems. Almost feels like I am at 110% or something.

No, I charged it to 100% while I was at the gym this morning and been at work all morning without touching a charger.

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
No, I charged it to 100% while I was at the gym this morning and been at work all morning without touching a charger.

your battery is definitely in another league compared to mine....i was happy that in 3 hours it was at like 78% yesterday with barely any use. if my battery was as good as yours, i dont think i would be contemplating on returning the phone

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Your post seems to suggest that you keep mobile data off, and when you turn it on you use 3G. Battery issues asides, there is no reason to keep this phone unless you use 4G, and you use lots of it. The Incredible 2 would probably be better for you, especially with the battery and weight issues.

When I'm here at work I turn off mobile data because in part one of the building we don't get service, but can get wifi. However when I move to part two of the building I don't get wifi, but I can get mobile network. But I'm not sure if maybe there is a weak connection back here for the mobile network, and maybe thats what is causing the battery to drain; so I just turn it all off.

Only place I get 4g is at home, I never have seen it bounce from 3g to 4g. I'm either @ home or at work. The weight issues I cant even tell now that Ive been using the phone, but when showing someone the phone they compared it to their Samsung fascinate and they were like o wow! And then I tried it, and it was a big difference. But honestly i cant tell, I just don't want to add another ounce (the battery) to the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC