DISH+Thunderbolt+Sling Adapter=WooHoo!

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have DISH and just added the Sling adapter to my VIP722K reciever for $99.00 and no additional fees. I now can have live TV with all the channels that I regularly get and access to my DVR where ever I am. It even works very smoothly with 3G.

I am going to be gone during the NCAA games next weekend and was afraid I would miss my Butler game. Thunderbolt with DISH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
question do u use the dish app or do I buy the sling app? I just bought the VIP922 unit

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I use the free DISH app.

I have to chuckle when I hear the rain, snow etc comments because it has never been an issue for us and we live in the Midwest where we get plenty of snow and thunder storms. Our cable was out a million times more often than we ever lose DISH which is about 2 minutes at a time three times a year. Not a bad record.

Battery may be an issue but I have picked up a spare. I don't care if I need two spares if I can watch my game while being stuck at an airport or catch up on the local news while I am cross country.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
any limitations? I ask sling and they tell me to check with dish.

jmeitz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
i agree, i have mine on order as well. 80 bucks for the adaptor. I plan on using mine to watch and tether to my ipad to watch it on a larger screen. Also in the midwest and the only time my dish goes out is during extreme rainstorms. never have real issues with the dish signal dropping. just haters..

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
any limitations? I ask sling and they tell me to check with dish.

If you have the appropriate receiver the Sling adapter is $99.00 on line through Dish. Just plug it in the USB on the back of the receiver and go. You will need the free DISH app but I already had that on the phone and iPad so I could set the DVR if I was gone. No additional fees. I am sure that if your connection is weak you will have a choppy or non existent picture. I have had very good picture quality with 2+ bars on 3G and perfect picture with 4G and WIFI. It does act a little choppy for the first 30 seconds then sails along. They say if the signal on your phone is weaker, then select the non-HD version of the program for better picture.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
do you have to have the 722 in solo or duo mode for use with the sling?

I ponied up for a 922 to upgrade from a 622. Now I'm wondering if I would have been better off with a 722+sling. Its very difficult to get an HD/16:9 stream going on my Thunderbolt.

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have DirecTV so that I can watch all of my football. I wish to god they would come out with some way like this to watch my recorded DVR stuff on my phone. :-(

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I use the free DISH app.

I have to chuckle when I hear the rain, snow etc comments because it has never been an issue for us and we live in the Midwest where we get plenty of snow and thunder storms. Our cable was out a million times more often than we ever lose DISH which is about 2 minutes at a time three times a year. Not a bad record.

Battery may be an issue but I have picked up a spare. I don't care if I need two spares if I can watch my game while being stuck at an airport or catch up on the local news while I am cross country.

I live in the Mostly Sunny state of Arizona and when we have had a bad storm (monsoons, July and Aug) my Dish Network has gone out, but usually only for a few minutes.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I just don't know what DISH is (I'm guessing just DISH Network which is similar to DirectTV) but I have cable (Time Warner here in Los Angeles) and have a Slingbox hooked up to it. I actually got the $99 Slinglink to hook it up to the cable box in my office because its in a different room than the router/modem. I bought the $29.99 slingbox app for my TBolt and it works GREAT! I only wish the volume on this phone could go a bit louder, esp. with that big speaker behind the kickstand.

I was in Vegas all last weekend sitting by the pool with my TB steaming the games on my phone in glorious HD over 4Glte. I have the extended battery and watched a couple games and it didn't really take a big hit at all. Very pleased there. Not sure how the stock battery would last. I was also outside so my screen brightness was all the way up so I could see it. I didn't try it on 3G because I had a good signal on 4G and my ext. battery was hardly affected.

I may have lost all my money but I enjoyed every minute of it on my new phone. :)

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have it in duo and the signal to the Thunderbolt is streamed off of tuner # 2. I have tried to do the Tbolt and iPad at the same time and they cannot do it simultaneously. Both will come off tuner #2 and it will ask if you want to kick the other off & continue. Likewise, you cannot watch tuner 2 at home if you use the Sling on the Tbolt. Being mobile (traveling in a car) on 3G with the Tbolt, picture can be kind of sketchy. 45 minutes of air time will take about 30 % of battery. I don't think that is that bad for live TV.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
so I'm guessing Duo mode is required? At least that's one good thing about the 922. I have mine in Solo mode which I much prefer over Duo mode especially when dealing with DVR timers.

I hope Dish continues to work on it. Its nice but definitely not polished yet.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I just paid 600$ for 922 it has sling player built in. but haven't hooked it up yet. glad I don't need to pay 29$ for the app. you should be fine on 922 it has lots of storage and dual tunes.
do you have to have the 722 in solo or duo mode for use with the sling?

I ponied up for a 922 to upgrade from a 622. Now I'm wondering if I would have been better off with a 722+sling. Its very difficult to get an HD/16:9 stream going on my Thunderbolt.

ejz28

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
how fast of a home internet connection do you have? I just bumped my package up to the 3MB up from 1.5 is that going to be enough speed?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think our home internet connection is somewhere between 6 and 10mb, but truthfully, I think it may more about the phone connection than the home connection. I say this because, I tried the slingbox app on an old LG Dare on 3G and it was shoddy at best at streaming. Then with my wife's Fascinate on 3G it was pretty good with an occasional freezing up of the video. If we put either of the phones on Wifi, Slingbox worked nearly perfect (it stuttered very infrequently).

But now, with my TBolt, I get absolutely no drop outs on wifi at home, very few on 4G...and, well, I haven't tested 3G but maybe I will just to see.

It may be helpful to have a fast home connection, but the phone connection and phone speed helps as shown above in my use.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
how fast of a home internet connection do you have? I just bumped my package up to the 3MB up from 1.5 is that going to be enough speed?

I bumped up my home internet upload speed from 512Kbps to 2Mbps yesterday and didn't really see any improvement. Thought for sure that it would help but it didn't. Regardless of what kind of download speed my phone is seeing (wifi or 3g), I'm only able to get a stream rate of around 1Mbps to show on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463