View Poll Results: How will Verizon eliminate "unlimited" data?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pull the rug

28 49.12%
  • Rename

17 29.82%
  • Other

12 21.05%
    OK, I'm grandfathered into unlimited data.

Now, how do you think Verizon will get rid of it?

Will they just pull the rug out from under us?

Will they simply rename the service, there by voiding the old service?

Other:
    04-01-2011 11:53 AM
    My thoughts are, the will end that promo soon, and once the contract is up they wil not let us renew, and force a different contract.
    04-01-2011 12:14 PM
    My thoughts are, the will end that promo soon, and once the contract is up they wil not let us renew, and force a different contract.
    Wow...when that comes around. Well that sucks

Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap
    04-01-2011 12:18 PM
    It is going, I was told this the last time I was at the Verizon store.
    04-01-2011 01:13 PM
    Hopefully in 2 years, they have another plan that is competitive.
    04-01-2011 01:38 PM
    I feel like if they dump their unlimited plan that removed a HUGE competitive advantage they have over AT&T. Verizon would be stupid to get rid of it, although I know they're going to. Good thing we're all grandfathered in
    04-01-2011 01:46 PM
    I feel like if they dump their unlimited plan that removed a HUGE competitive advantage they have over AT&T. Verizon would be stupid to get rid of it, although I know they're going to. Good thing we're all grandfathered in
    It would be considerably cheaper for some people to pay full retail for a phone if a new contract would indeed remove it from our plans.
    04-01-2011 02:41 PM
    I got my info pack in the mail from Verizon yesterday detailing my plan and pricing as set up at the Verizon strore when I bought my Tbolt. I was surprised to see that "new every two" would no longer be available.
    So it looks like lots of things will change this year...
    04-01-2011 03:08 PM
    i was told by a tele-sales manager that those of us with the unlimited plan would be grandfathered in.
    04-01-2011 03:24 PM
    So the question is, for heavy data users, if we are grandfathered in-- (I know anything can change in 1-2 years) does that mean if we buy new phones at full retail, no new contract, we keep unlimited 4g?

Being as I'm well over 1GB of data in barely 2 weeks (haven't checked in the last few days) I think it'll be worth trying to stay in this plan as long as possible...
    04-01-2011 03:30 PM
    What does "grandfathered in" mean? Does that mean the plan will carry over to the next phone even if the new plans aren't the same anymore (e.g. tiered)??
    04-01-2011 05:04 PM
    I'm gonna say they will 'rename'. i.e.- they will differentiate between 3G and 4G phones and their data plans. But, regardless, all new plans after the axe falls will not have any unlimited option: 3G or 4G or 5G or whatever.

I can't say I'm surprised. With bandwidth surpassing most medium tier home ISP plans, the airwaves would get pretty damned useless to those that don't actually abuse it.
    04-01-2011 09:08 PM
    What does "grandfathered in" mean? Does that mean the plan will carry over to the next phone even if the new plans aren't the same anymore (e.g. tiered)??
    grandfathered in means that the plan will carry over until something is changed, such as upgrading to another phone. if the plan is no longer available, they will force you to switch to the new plan if you want to upgrade at a discounted price.

i'm pretty sure thats how it works but feel free to correct me.
    04-01-2011 09:16 PM
    I expect that verizon will require certain plans in the future if you wish to activate certain phones. So as long as you are willing to use a thunderbolt, you can stay on the grandfathered plan, but in a year I would expect that the latest and greatest devices will require a latest and greatest plan.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    04-01-2011 09:25 PM
    I'm hoping to keep unlimited data by paying full price for my next LTE device and just switching the SIM card from the TBolt to the new device. This way nothing on my account changes.

I did this on AT&T and it worked great. I used a Nexus One on an unlimited BlackBerry data plan by just buying the Nexus outright and swapping the SIM from the Blackberry to the Nexus.
    04-01-2011 09:37 PM
    Yesterday the Verizon rep told me that they're getting rid of one-year contracts starting May 6th. So changes are in the pipeline.
    04-01-2011 09:43 PM
    If they do it and I cant renew, i will jump over to sprint. Their network is not lte but plenty fast for a phone and to stream stuff. This is the downside of ATT and tmobile merger, Verizon will have less competition. I will take my business to sprint and call it a day.

I however doubt they will not let you keep your current plan. ATT still grandfathers people in to unlimited 4g plans almost everyone who got the atrix got to keep their unlimited plan. I really dont see verizon being worse then ATT.
    04-01-2011 10:02 PM
    I've asked every rep I speak to when calling cs and 3 managers when replacing my TB's in store. They were all aware of the buzz surrounding VZW dropping this data plan but insist there's no immediate changes headed our way and foresee no change for existing customers even if it were to take place at some point. Next time your on the phone or in a store , strike up a conversation and see what answer you get.
    04-01-2011 10:11 PM
    Yesterday the Verizon rep told me that they're getting rid of one-year contracts starting May 6th. So changes are in the pipeline.
    I heard no such thing, the only thing recently changed was the replacement process. I'll have to confirm this at work tomorrow, I have tapatalk so I can post from my Tbolt soon as I get a solid word on this..

I really don't see them ending 1yr contracts, but stranger things have happened..
    04-01-2011 10:16 PM
    I work for Verizon and I can tell you how it will go. I don't have any info on when the tier data plans will start. But it will be like every other plan or feature Verizon has or had. If you had it before it is discontinued you keep it until you upgrade your phone/renew your contract. There are still customers who have the VCast vpak which gives unlimited data for like $10 or $15 bucks and VZW hasn't offered that feature in years they just haven't upgrade since they got it. Had as far as buying a phone full retail and keeping the unlimited data that wont work because the data plans are tied to the phones not the contract/plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    04-01-2011 11:49 PM
    I did read somewhere that even a warranty replacement could force you into a new plan, I think it was in that 8000 post thunderbolt waiting room thread so I am not going to go look for it, take it for what it is worth, just a rumor
    04-02-2011 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD