For those people who think unlimited 4g data is going anytime soon I have a few questions and examples to support my argument.

Ok first we know we all still have "Unlimited" 3g data from Verizon, which was a very smart move business wise, customer satisfying, and just about everyone else is doing it.

Now we move onto "Unlimited" 4g data. My first argument on this about this, there are not very many people on Verizon's 4g LTE network, so my thoughts entrepreneurial wise is if they do not have very many customers on this network then why would they even fathom such a thing, and not get their meatclaws into our poor but satisfied wallets.

Another thing I would like to say if Verizon has not tiered their 3g network why do it to 4g? 4g will be a major selling point later this year and beyond until something bigger and badder comes out, Most likely not for a long while.

And Sprint has been relentless about their "True Unlimited" plans and how they are nationwide and their network is strong and reliable. With such accusations they would grind Verizon's 4g network into the ground if Verizon did decided to tier us. Verizon can say "We are the fastest 4g." But if their is a cheaper alternative then people will naturally go to what cost them less even if the service is less then Verizon's.

And if they did incorporate tiers I couldn't see it being for 1-2 years. Though I can't see it at all. If Verizon is worried about bandwith they will pour more cash into maintaining their 4g network and make profit while they are at it. I could also see them spending less on the 3g network due to 4g rising strongly and at a break-neck pace, due to less people on the 3g network in the possible near future. They need as much as a lead as possible on their main competitor, you know those guys called Sprint.
    04-02-2011 12:09 AM
    I wholly agree. Pretty soon 4g will become the standard that 3g is now so it wouldn't make sense to cap the data and remove the unlimited plan. Perhaps I could see a tiered pricing option with data caps for those that won't be using all that much data (as there probably won't be too many good 3g options in the phone department within a couple years) I don't see them doing away with the unlimited plan and more or less shooting themselves in the proverbial foot marketing wise.
    04-02-2011 12:58 AM
    I wholly agree. Pretty soon 4g will become the standard that 3g is now so it wouldn't make sense to cap the data and remove the unlimited plan. Perhaps I could see a tiered pricing option with data caps for those that won't be using all that much data (as there probably won't be too many good 3g options in the phone department within a couple years) I don't see them doing away with the unlimited plan and more or less shooting themselves in the proverbial foot marketing wise.
    Why not? That's how technology goes and it is a kick in the *** if you ask me. When we get faster speeds, the amount we download will rise thus straining the network. The faster we download the data the sooner we can move to downloading the next thing. Or heck, let's download multiple things at once since it's basically broadband in our hands. You can blame those who have abused the system so long by connecting their phones (3G) to their computers and using up so much data because of how much bandwidth a webpage takes up. I'm afraid to see what customers may do in terms of online gaming with 4G though as this could get extremely ugly. The bandwidth (while technically not a ton in the fiber optic world) would be used up very quickly and Verizon would get angry. Plus, there are so many morons that do not realize that upload and download only mean a little bit to an online connection. The ping is a factor that no one considers and the ping on a 4G device will be too high for online gaming.

Why is this relevant to the subject at hand? As a fan of online gaming and unlimited data plans, I can see a double edged sword here. I want to keep my unlimited plan but in order for this to happen, Verizon must create a way (if they can't yet) to limit tethering. Whether it be a software update or something on their end, just do it. But if life has taught me anything it's that the minority will ruin everything for the majority. I guess we'll just have to live with it.

By the way, my guess is just as good as yours but consider this. Verizon is said to have terrible customer service (although I've had nothing but great service), bad pricing structures, unfair practices in the views of many people, etc. But Verizon is still the largest network in America. Why? Because while we all complain about the pricing and such, Verizon knows that the amount of customers that will leave their network will not exceed that of the profits they make off of eliminating the unlimited 4G data plan. And I must admit, I've been through AT&T and T-Mobile along with a Sprint phone at work and Verizon has me for life. See how that works?
    04-02-2011 01:15 AM
    Why not? That's how technology goes and it is a kick in the *** if you ask me. When we get faster speeds, the amount we download will rise thus straining the network. The faster we download the data the sooner we can move to downloading the next thing. Or heck, let's download multiple things at once since it's basically broadband in our hands. You can blame those who have abused the system so long by connecting their phones (3G) to their computers and using up so much data because of how much bandwidth a webpage takes up. I'm afraid to see what customers may do in terms of online gaming with 4G though as this could get extremely ugly. The bandwidth (while technically not a ton in the fiber optic world) would be used up very quickly and Verizon would get angry. Plus, there are so many morons that do not realize that upload and download only mean a little bit to an online connection. The ping is a factor that no one considers and the ping on a 4G device will be too high for online gaming.

Why is this relevant to the subject at hand? As a fan of online gaming and unlimited data plans, I can see a double edged sword here. I want to keep my unlimited plan but in order for this to happen, Verizon must create a way (if they can't yet) to limit tethering. Whether it be a software update or something on their end, just do it. But if life has taught me anything it's that the minority will ruin everything for the majority. I guess we'll just have to live with it.

By the way, my guess is just as good as yours but consider this. Verizon is said to have terrible customer service (although I've had nothing but great service), bad pricing structures, unfair practices in the views of many people, etc. But Verizon is still the largest network in America. Why? Because while we all complain about the pricing and such, Verizon knows that the amount of customers that will leave their network will not exceed that of the profits they make off of eliminating the unlimited 4G data plan. And I must admit, I've been through AT&T and T-Mobile along with a Sprint phone at work and Verizon has me for life. See how that works?
    Verizon has been known to have a very loyal fanbase. Though that doesn't mean they will make such a rash and untought out idea like that. Sprint has been pushing their 4g hard after the TBolt came out.
    04-02-2011 01:40 AM