Does Handbrake remove DRM from purchased DVDs?

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I have searched the forums and Googled but found nothing conclusive yet.

I am leaving on a trip soon and was hoping someone can help answer my question so I can avoid wasting hours of time experimenting if this will not work.

As a backup option, I'm considering DVD Catalyst; someone told me it removes DRM so I may go that route.

Thanks in advance!

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming these are physical DVD's not movies you'e downloaded from Amazon or iTunes correct? If so yes, if you have the physical DVD it will rip it and you can play it on anything.

Reactions: elai1108

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming these are physical DVD's not movies you'e downloaded from Amazon or iTunes correct? If so yes, if you have the physical DVD it will rip it and you can play it on anything.
Yes these are physical DVDs I purchased. I will give it a try!

BTW - Any idea how long it will take to convert a typical movie (1.5-2hrs) using an Win7 i3 machine with 4GB RAM?

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Handbrake won't do it. I can't remember it's name, but you need to download some software (a driver?) that unlocks the DVD when you insert it.

If you try to use Handbrake to rip the DVD without this other software, it will appear to work, but the resulting video will be all scrambled.

With the other software installed, Handbrake works quite well.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I am leaving on a trip soon and was hoping someone can help answer my question so I can avoid wasting hours of time experimenting if this will not work.

As a backup option, I'm considering DVD Catalyst; someone told me it removes DRM so I may go that route.

Thanks in advance!

no but dvd43 will for free and then use handbrake with that. I know because if I don't back up my kids' disney dvds they're scratched in about 2 weeks. Also, it's so much easier putting 30 dvds on the ipad and letting them choose what they want to watch.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It may on older dvds but it can't crack the drm on newer ones. I tried to rip the new star trek, the movie ripped, but you can't see anything.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Whetzel

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
In order to use Handbrake on protected movies, you'll need AnyDVD.

Handbrake does not do anything with the protection and, in fact, won't even rip a protected DVD without something like AnyDVD to remove the copy protection.

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
No go!

I tried Handbrake with two DVD movies last night and got all kinds of read errors. I am guessing this is due to copy protection. I guess it makes sense for movie producers to lock down their products to try to prevent piracy.

I'm out of time so I will have to try this again another time.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions!

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
In order to use Handbrake on protected movies, you'll need AnyDVD.

Handbrake does not do anything with the protection and, in fact, won't even rip a protected DVD without something like AnyDVD to remove the copy protection.

Yup. AnyDVD and Handbrake do the job nicely. You can download a free 21 day trial of AnyDVD. In 21 days you should be able to rip a lot of DVD's, Blurays, etc. :D

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Dvd43 is the one I use. I was a little nervous downloading it because I wasn't sure if I trusted any of the sites I found it on. I finally crossed my fingers, picked a site, and downloaded it.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The software required for HandBrake is VLC. However when doign this it is basically caputuring the video on the fly from my understanding.

For a PC I would recommend DVDFab for ripping
For a Mac I would recommend RipIt

dvdshrink and such haven't been updated in along time. They do work, however the new movies coming dont always work anymore.

Whetzel

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The software required for HandBrake is VLC. However when doign this it is basically caputuring the video on the fly from my understanding.

For a PC I would recommend DVDFab for ripping
For a Mac I would recommend RipIt

dvdshrink and such haven't been updated in along time. They do work, however the new movies coming dont always work anymore.

I've never heard of using VLC in conjunction with Handbrake. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard of it.

I personally use VLC and Handbrake, but not together.

All that's really required for Handbrake is AnyDVD and if you're going to use Handbrake, it's the best option (although, it AnyDVD does cost money after the trial period).

I've successfully ripped several hundred DVD's and Blu-ray's with those two and it works great.

I have used other programs, such as DVDFab, RipIt4Me, and DVDShrink, but never found any that give me the options that I want/need other than Handbrake.

Having said that, I usually rip my movies for my HTPC (Home Theater PC), not my cell phone and there are certain features that I'm looking for that others may not be, so other programs may work just fine for them.

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

This should tell you everything you need to know. The article was just posted 3 days ago.

Maximum PC | Rip, Watch and Organize Everything: The Ultimate Media Guide

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon