My talk with Verizon

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Since the day I got my Thunderbolt it has not paired up with my network extender. I've been in contact with the network extender group, tech support and everyone in between and no resolution. I called again today and the tech support person said they would work on it and call me with a resolution. I got the call tonight and they explained that I would have to change my calling plan from an old Alltel plan to a Verizon plan in order to gain access to the extender. I explained that my wife and mother, who are both on my plan, had 3G phones but were able to get Verizon info (prl and sid#) pushed to their phones and the extender works great for them. Since they can't push anything to the Thunderbolt I needed to change my plan. How can the top of the line Verizon phone not get updates OTA or manually similar to 3g? I'm no tech genius but I don't understand how my plan can affect my ability to have my Verizon phone hit my Verizon extender. I spoke with the manager and was told that Alltel technology was different than 4G but I explained that's not my problem because I get 4g. I'm extremely upset about this because I feel like they are trying to force me to change my plan and pay $30-$50 more a month. Verizon took Alltel customers in with assurances that service would only change for the better and our plan could stay the same. And now I'm being told basically that I don't pay enough a month for Verizon technology. I was also told that former Alltel customers cannot get v cast and other Verizon apps. So I asked for his boss to give me a call and I'll continue to go up the ladder. Has anyone else run into this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
One more thing. My second option was for them to set me up with a 3g phone. I really like this phone and I get 4g at work and other places. I'm sorry for continuing to rant but I feel better getting it out. :) I also really want to know if others are in the same situation.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You're getting the raw end of the deal but it's not unusual. In fact, I've heard of many people, including my friend, who were forced into a Verizon plan from Alltel, after they had wanted a new phone. This will happen when AT&T's merger with T-Mobile is finalized too. You're grandfathered into a plan until you need a new contract. In your case, it sounds as if you had a nice ride. I really hate to say this as paying more for either the same or less is always hard to accept. But it appears that will be your only option.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think they are just giving u the run around. There are a few posts where ppl have gotten the hybrid PRL pushed to their bolts for alltel equipment.
sounds like the good old VZW gambit to me.

hope they get you straightened out though. good luck.

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Eclipse... Thanks for the reply. I called Verizon three times before this phone came out and was told that nothing needed to change and I would get the same as everyone else. Verizon could have made this a non issue if they had stated they would only honor Alltel contracts for a certain amount of time. They did not do that. Last time I checked Alltel hasn't received a dime of my money for a long time. Doesn't it sound like they are hiding behind "it can't be done" instead of saying "we won't do it because we want you to change plans and pay more"?

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they are just giving u the run around. There are a few posts where ppl have gotten the hybrid PRL pushed to their bolts for alltel equipment.
sounds like the good old VZW gambit to me.

hope they get you straightened out though. good luck.

I think so too. Do you remember where you saw those posts? I would be indebted to them if they would pm me with some info I could use when they call me tomorrow. Thanks.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are getting the run around, but don't give up yet?

Where do you live? Just a general city and state is enough information. If the integration of the networks is not complete, you might have a hybrid PRL that prefers Alltel's network over VZW, which means you won't see the network extender since it prefers unless there is no signal from Alltel available.

Alltel customers that were merged in got hybrid PRLs and VZW customers that complained about coverage in areas where Alltel had a stronger network could also get one if they could find someone that knew how to make the change.

Once the networks are integrated, and only one system ID is in use, your phone should start seeing the network extender again. The PRL is just a list of system IDs.

Until then, you need to keep calling until you get someone that can prevent the hybrid PRL from being pushed to your phone.

And they CAN push PRLs to the Thunderbolt. That's how it works - you can't pull a PRL via *228 anymore, the PRLs are pushed at activation time, when they are changed, etc. Now it is possible that regular customer service might not have access or training on this yet, but someone can do it or the phones wouldn't work at all.

Please post your PRL version as well.

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are getting the run around, but don't give up yet?

Where do you live? Just a general city and state is enough information. If the integration of the networks is not complete, you might have a hybrid PRL that prefers Alltel's network over VZW, which means you won't see the network extender since it prefers unless there is no signal from Alltel available.

Alltel customers that were merged in got hybrid PRLs and VZW customers that complained about coverage in areas where Alltel had a stronger network could also get one if they could find someone that knew how to make the change.

Once the networks are integrated, and only one system ID is in use, your phone should start seeing the network extender again. The PRL is just a list of system IDs.

Until then, you need to keep calling until you get someone that can prevent the hybrid PRL from being pushed to your phone.

And they CAN push PRLs to the Thunderbolt. That's how it works - you can't pull a PRL via *228 anymore, the PRLs are pushed at activation time, when they are changed, etc. Now it is possible that regular customer service might not have access or training on this yet, but someone can do it or the phones wouldn't work at all.

Please post your PRL version as well.

I believe I have an old Alltel PRL 14001 and SID 114. I live just south of Charlotte NC in South Carolina. I'm suppose to get a phone call tomorrow from the manage I spoke with tonight's manager. I have been calling for three weeks and this was supposedly handled by the ITSD group which is higher than normal tech support, I guess.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe I have an old Alltel PRL 14001 and SID 114. I live just south of Charlotte NC in South Carolina. I'm suppose to get a phone call tomorrow from the manage I spoke with tonight's manager. I have been calling for three weeks and this was supposedly handled by the ITSD group which is higher than normal tech support, I guess.

I have heard that parts of NC are being integrated now, but they are most likely focusing on the eastern part of the state where Alltel was stronger. I saw an improvement the last time I was in one of those areas. Places where the networks were about equal will probably be the last to be integrated now.

Did you get the SID from the 1X Engineering screen? If not, dial ##DEBUG, then hit Call quickly. Go to 1X Engineering, and look at the SID.

Sounds like you already know this, but 114 is in fact Alltel, and 139 is VZW in Charlotte and in surrounding areas.

That is a strange PRL... most people report something in the 15??? range (mine is 15008). I have seen a reference that they hybrid PRLs are in the 13??? range. I normally don't read too much into PRLs, but this definitely sounds like a PRL issue.

Also, a new SIM card might get a different PRL when being activated. 14001 sounds like some kind of default PRL... maybe something didn't go right during the activation. It might be worth asking what PRL you are supposed to have.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note on the technical part of the equation with a Network Extender (IOW, be careful what you wish for). If you get them to do something to allow you to use the Network Extender on your Alltel plan, or, if you do in fact change to a VZW plan, there is sort of a technical hurdle too. At least one that I have experienced.

The Network Extender puts out a very strong 3G signal within the house. In my upstairs bedroom, near windows, I have a very weak native 4G signal (0-1 bar). Pretty much unusable. However, my Thunderbolt is somewhat confused by this and keeps trying to lock-on to my almost non-existent 4G signal rather than my strong Network Extender 3G signal. So, I simply turn off 4G while at my house and all is well. But if I don't turn off 4G, I experience the data dropout phenomenon. While driving around town, in and out of 4G areas there is no issues. Phone switches okay. But not at home with the NE. Just thought it was worth mentioning, if you finally get to use your Network Extender with the TBolt.

-Frank

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think so too. Do you remember where you saw those posts? I would be indebted to them if they would pm me with some info I could use when they call me tomorrow. Thanks.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...prl-13xxx-means-youre-new-hybrid-network.html

do what you will with the info in that forum. Its for ppl in old alltel areas with alltel equipment from what I gathered. and since I am no in one of those areas or equipment I still have the normal PRL and no issues + no need for an extender. just passing along info Iv come across.\

good luck.

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that parts of NC are being integrated now, but they are most likely focusing on the eastern part of the state where Alltel was stronger. I saw an improvement the last time I was in one of those areas. Places where the networks were about equal will probably be the last to be integrated now.

Did you get the SID from the 1X Engineering screen? If not, dial ##DEBUG, then hit Call quickly. Go to 1X Engineering, and look at the SID.

Sounds like you already know this, but 114 is in fact Alltel, and 139 is VZW in Charlotte and in surrounding areas.

That is a strange PRL... most people report something in the 15??? range (mine is 15008). I have seen a reference that they hybrid PRLs are in the 13??? range. I normally don't read too much into PRLs, but this definitely sounds like a PRL issue.

Also, a new SIM card might get a different PRL when being activated. 14001 sounds like some kind of default PRL... maybe something didn't go right during the activation. It might be worth asking what PRL you are supposed to have.

I have checked my SID in the 1x engineering and actually tried to change it in ##program. They now say two different numbers while the phone info app says yet another number. Which is most accurate?

As for the SIM card the person lastm night said that it wasn't the issue. I actually got a replacement phone after the first week due to this problem but I'm not sure if get changed my SIM card or not. Last night the folks were adamant that my plan was the problem but I called BS. I'm going to fight this as long as I can because I called multiple times before buying and was told nothing needed to change.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have checked my SID in the 1x engineering and actually tried to change it in ##program. They now say two different numbers while the phone info app says yet another number. Which is most accurate?

As for the SIM card the person lastm night said that it wasn't the issue. I actually got a replacement phone after the first week due to this problem but I'm not sure if get changed my SIM card or not. Last night the folks were adamant that my plan was the problem but I called BS. I'm going to fight this as long as I can because I called multiple times before buying and was told nothing needed to change.

If it lets you change the SID, you would need to set the phone to Home Only to override the PRL. This can be done in Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> System Select

Make sure you set it back to automatic when you leave the area or you will see No Service.

This might or might not work depending on the PRL.

Hopefully you will reach someone that knows how to get the right PRL loaded on your phone.

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If it lets you change the SID, you would need to set the phone to Home Only to override the PRL. This can be done in Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> System Select

Make sure you set it back to automatic when you leave the area or you will see No Service.

This might or might not work depending on the PRL.

Hopefully you will reach someone that knows how to get the right PRL loaded on your phone.

I'll give that a shot tonight. No call today from the boss of the manager I spoke with last night. Surprise surprise. What great customer service! :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No call today from the boss of the manager I spoke with last night. Surprise surprise. What great customer service! :)
Don't feel lonely. Over the years (10?) I'll bet I've had a promise of call-back about 10 times. The latest time being last week. Never once did I get a call-back.

Having said that, I admit that I get very good customer services while I'm on the phone with 'em. :)

-Frank

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I went to my local corporate store today and the rep swore to me she could push a PRL update to my phone OTA and said she had done it to a Thunderbolt before. Said she didn't know what the folks on the phone last night were talking about. Said it may take 24 hours to go through. I hope she's right but it hasn't happened yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane