bump charge opinion

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll have my Bolt in a couple of days. I've read the posts on bump charging. Does anyone have an opinion on when to bump charge, or in other words, should I bump on the initial charge or should I wait for a couple of charge cycles to let the battery season before attempting a bump charge?

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just charged it before bed for the first week or so, and used the phone normally. Battery life was terrible but from reading the forum I knew it would gradually improve.
After the first week, I bump charged about 3 nights in a row, and it instantly gave me increased battery life.
The battery seems 'conditioned' now and lasts all day and more on a regular charge. Sometimes I have too much juice left at bedtime and have to wait until the next day to charge.
YMMV :)

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just charged it before bed for the first week or so, and used the phone normally. Battery life was terrible but from reading the forum I knew it would gradually improve.
After the first week, I bump charged about 3 nights in a row, and it instantly gave me increased battery life.
The battery seems 'conditioned' now and lasts all day and more on a regular charge. Sometimes I have too much juice left at bedtime and have to wait until the next day to charge.
YMMV :)
Do you think that the phone will "overcharge" or some other damage occur if you leave it on the charger longer than it needs? Most nights I plug my existing LG phone and BB and leave them on the charger until morning. I haven't experienced any problems because of this, at least to my knowledge.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Do you think that the phone will "overcharge" or some other damage occur if you leave it on the charger longer than it needs? Most nights I plug my existing LG phone and BB and leave them on the charger until morning. I haven't experienced any problems because of this, at least to my knowledge.

Apparently this phone charges to 100% and stops. Then it starts back up when the battery is at 90%. That's why you can have it charged up all night and when you turn it on you see a green light and only 92% battery. It's because you unplugged it in that cycle when it was either draining to 90% or charging back up to 100%. That's the way I read it from the folks on here that seem to know a lot more than me about these types of batteries.

EDIT: I also read from the same folks on here that it isn't good to let this battery drain all the way down until your phone shuts off either.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The TB Li-Ion battery, like other Li-Ion batteires, have a logic built into them that will prevent overcharging. No worries.

-Frank

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Anyone care to explain what a bump charge is...I like increased battery life ;):)

It's like starting a discussion and not getting too many replies so you go on and just type in "bump" in order to put your thread back up top. So whenever your battery gets to a certain lower level of charge (say 75%) you plug it in to give the battery a bump in charge in order to extend the time your battery stays at a higher charge.

Depending on how much I use my phone in the mornings, I will plug it in to my car charger during lunch while I'm at the gym and then again on my way home from work. It's not the same every day just obviously more on heavy usage days. When I do this I can go to bed with my battery level at 45% after being on from 5:30am until 1030pm. Again it just depends on how much I use it that affects how much I bump it.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
lol?

That is not a bump charge. To my knowledge, it works like this:

In the morning when your phone is fully charged and you see the green LED lit up, unplug your phone and turn it off. Once the phone is completely off plug the charger back into it and the LED wwill then be orange. Leave your phone on the ccharger until it turns green. Once the phone LED turns green, then unplug the phone again. Now turn your phone on. Once it iis on turn it off once more. Once the phone is off plug it in again. Again youll notice the phone LLED is orange. This is because it was never fully charged. I don't know the science behind it but iit is true and the phone will last longer after doing this. Once the LED is green again turn the phone on and plug it back in. Leave it there until the LED is green and then your good to go.

Reactions: disney.jessica

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
That is not a bump charge. To my knowledge, it works like this:

In the morning when your phone is fully charged and you see the green LED lit up, unplug your phone and turn it off. Once the phone is completely off plug the charger back into it and the LED wwill then be orange. Leave your phone on the ccharger until it turns green. Once the phone LED turns green, then unplug the phone again. Now turn your phone on. Once it iis on turn it off once more. Once the phone is off plug it in again. Again youll notice the phone LLED is orange. This is because it was never fully charged. I don't know the science behind it but iit is true and the phone will last longer after doing this. Once the LED is green again turn the phone on and plug it back in. Leave it there until the LED is green and then your good to go.

That's what they were calling calibration. I still have the forum saved and it's called, CALIBRATE THUNDERBOLT BATTERY. Again, I don't have the tech knowledge about these batteries just what I read on here. To me a bump charge is exactly what the name implies, bumping up the charge level to get more use from it. So in what I explained and what you explained we getting that bump in charge.

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So, question, is "bump charging" something you have to do for the remainder of the phone's life, or does doing it a few times permanently bump up the battery life so that you don't have to do it anymore?

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the extended battery. It may look to big but when you get it and hold the phone its ok. I really like the extended battery and it last for a 1.5 days. Thats with a heavy use of gaming and the web. My INC had to be bump charged every day and it sucks. I have to say that the TB is way better on a factory battery charge than the INC.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
So by reading that article Blayze04 was correct and I was not. You sir win the prize of hero for the day. Congrats and well deserved...:D

EDIT: ok so in my example I guess I "maintain charge" my phone.... 80)

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So, how many times should you do "bump charge" cycles? And like I asked before, does it "fix" the battery, so that it'll last as long as a "bump charge" even when you just regularly charge it?

I got my Thunderbolt about five days ago, and I've only charged it about three times (the initial charge, a charge once it dropped to about 2/3 full, and then another charge this morning when it was only half full). For the most part, I've kept it set down to 3G, because whenever I set it up to 4G, the battery seemed to go faster. On 3G, it seemed like I could get through a day and only lose a sliver of the battery bar. On 4G, the battery would go down to a half bar on a single day's use.

This morning, though, I sort of "accidentally" bump charged it (haha, don't ask), and decided to leave 4G on all day, and to my surprise, only a sliver of the battery has drained. Pretty happy about that. Now I don't feel so paranoid about constantly making sure I switch down to 3G when 4G isn't an absolute necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox