bump charge opinion

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So, how often do we have to bump charge? No one answered the above posters question. I bumped charged for the first time today. Do I have to do it every day to see results?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
So, how often do we have to bump charge? No one answered the above posters question. I bumped charged for the first time today. Do I have to do it every day to see results?

Every time you charge.
It simply bumps up the amount of charge in the battery, that one time, which is then gets used. So on the next charge, you have to bump it again.
All that work, and it WILL wear the battery out sooner. For me, life is a ton easier just carrying a spare battery or portable charge pack.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I thought bumping it a few times would condition it to increase battery capacity. No way I'm doing it everyday. It takes a long time.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think the bump charging procedure is overly complex and misses the root cause of the level drop after charger disconnect on the Thunderbolt. The reason your battery level drops up to 5% as soon as you take it off the charger is not because the Thunderbolt didn't charge it all the way, but rather because after it charged it to 100%, it actively discharges the battery until it drops to about 95%, and then it charges it up again, and discharges it again, over and over. When it's discharging, it does so at a rate of 145 mA, which is about 3-4 times the current draw of an idle phone. The total charge/discharge cycle is 30 minutes, with 15 minutes of charge and 15 minutes of discharge. The graph of the current over time looks like the attached picture.

If you disconnect the phone from the charger right at the point where it switches from charging to discharging, then you actually have a fully charged battery and the level will not immediately drop from 100%. If you disconnect it at any other point in the charging cycle (which is far more likely), the level will immediately drop to something less than 100%. The only "bump" charging you need to do is to unplug it and plug it back in again for exactly 15 minutes.

Reactions: Rem

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel it works. I plug my phone in every night and when I wake up I unplug read a few emails /send then plug back in and hop I'm shower. After dressed I'll do it again. Eat breakfast then unplug and off to work.battery lasts me a good 12-14 hours .

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The only "bump" charging you need to do is to unplug it and plug it back in again for exactly 15 minutes.
Agreed. Additionally, I just do a restart when it is showing fully charged (green light). This restart effectively "disconnects" the charger, then reconnects the charger automatically. Also, the restart will use just enough power to ensure that you don't get an immediate green light by unplugging and re-plugging alone.

-Frank

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What i do is charge it to full before i go to bed, use Volume Locker to give audible notfication when it stops charging, then in the morning, charge it for another 30-40 minutes. So that way it does not go into the charge-discharge cycle all night. I also see the current charge so i know when it is almost full because the current charge decreases gradually as the battery gets full.

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
another question about the Bump charge (battery calibration, whatever you want to call it).....I find the act of powering up the phone always drains 2-3% of the battery....so how can we ever achieve the green light right after (or even soon after) powering up the phone?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
another question about the Bump charge (battery calibration, whatever you want to call it).....I find the act of powering up the phone always drains 2-3% of the battery....so how can we ever achieve the green light right after (or even soon after) powering up the phone?

Read the link that FrankXs posted above.

Basically, bump charge is to eliminate that initial drop when you unplug the device. It 'bumps up' the charge to 100%, or even a bit more on some devices.
The reason for that initial drop is explained well in that link. It has to do with making the battery last for a few years, instead of a few months. If you bump charge daily, the battery life is shortened. But that extra few percent of battery may be important to some. The phone designers opted for longer battery life. Some people favor slightly longer charge life.

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but don't Li On Batteries have a fixed number of charge cycles? Each time you plug into your charger, be it for 24 hours or 24 seconds, it eats up one charge cycle of the batteries usable life. The battery doesn't "die" per say, but the total charge capacity drops with each recharge cycle.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but don't Li On Batteries have a fixed number of charge cycles? Each time you plug into your charger, be it for 24 hours or 24 seconds, it eats up one charge cycle of the batteries usable life. The battery doesn't "die" per say, but the total charge capacity drops with each recharge cycle.

Not really.
If you do partial charges and discharges, AND keep the battery cool, it will last for years.
If you run it completely down and recharge completely each time, then yes, you can only do that so many times. If you do it with the battery hot, it is a lot fewer times.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX