Reallly slow 3G

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all,

so, I just got my thunderbolt this morning, and it's my first smartphone so bear with me.

I was out and about here in omaha today shopping and such, as was seeing 1.3mbits/sec speeds on 3G all over town. (great!) however now im back home and with 3g at 3 bars im getting 80kbit/sec speeds.

What gives? should i call verizon?

Thanks,
Zach

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
it wont screw up anything, you just cant do it. It will just disconnect you as soon as you dial *228. verizon 3g speeds are all over the place. Their network will throttle your speeds during heavy traffic through their network or a certain time of the day. I usually get anywhere from 900 to 2.5 depending on the time of the day in my house. Although if you are closer to the tower you will get good speeds.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
it wont screw up anything, you just cant do it. It will just disconnect you as soon as you dial *228. verizon 3g speeds are all over the place. Their network will throttle your speeds during heavy traffic through their network or a certain time of the day. I usually get anywhere from 900 to 2.5 depending on the time of the day in my house. Although if you are closer to the tower you will get good speeds.

This is correct. 228 doesn't do anything.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Turn your phone off and back on to get a closer tower location. And *228 will not do anything for you. You can also check VZW.com and check how strong 3g is in your area. The time of day can cause an issue also if everyone and their kids are on the network(just ask ATT).

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all,

so, I just got my thunderbolt this morning, and it's my first smartphone so bear with me.

I was out and about here in omaha today shopping and such, as was seeing 1.3mbits/sec speeds on 3G all over town. (great!) however now im back home and with 3g at 3 bars im getting 80kbit/sec speeds.

What gives? should i call verizon?

Thanks,
Zach

I thought we had another Omahan

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've been wondering this for a while (I also got the "ZOMG, DON'T *228 YOU'LL BRICK YOUR SIM" speech from the nice Verizon lady. Buuuuuut... I've got mine set to "CDMA Auto (PRL)" (Y'all will be on 10G by the time we get 4G) in the field test menu. So how do I update my PRL? Also, would it be beneficial for me to set it to EV-DO rev. A rather than eHPRD?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've been wondering this for a while (I also got the "ZOMG, DON'T *228 YOU'LL BRICK YOUR SIM" speech from the nice Verizon lady. Buuuuuut... I've got mine set to "CDMA Auto (PRL)" (Y'all will be on 10G by the time we get 4G) in the field test menu. So how do I update my PRL? Also, would it be beneficial for me to set it to EV-DO rev. A rather than eHPRD?
1) *228 won't "brick" anything. It just won't do anything on the ThunderBolt. 2) PRL updates are over the air automatic with the ThunderBolt. 3) RevA rather than eHRPD? - Probably not. You only benefit from this if your towers' eHRPD is non-functional at the moment. Doubtful.

-Frank

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
1) *228 won't "brick" anything. It just won't do anything on the ThunderBolt. 2) PRL updates are over the air automatic with the ThunderBolt. 3) RevA rather than eHRPD? - Probably not. You only benefit from this if your towers' eHRPD is non-functional at the moment. Doubtful.

-Frank

Okay, thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I've figured out the issue. During peak data times it seems I'm capped at a certain point, or the network around my house is very loaded. But, thankfully I setup the Wi-fi yesterday so I can finally download at normal speeds!

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was just trying to help.

Its not helpful when your giving incorrect information. The reason I was being so harsh was more to make sure if anybody read this thread they didn't follow the wrong advice. Although the people here say it just disconnects, I got a mouthfull from the verizon guy (like a 5 minute speach) about not doing *228 or it will brick my 4g card. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton